Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Entity Alpha
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting a game onto the hard drive would obviously make it much faster. But - in FF9 - would an ISO make the transitions from one scene to another quicker, or the loading of the battle arena quicker? This is not big problem, but I was just wondering... :p

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
The slower your computer is, the more noticeable the difference between ISO and CD playing is. On my computer, for example, FF9 takes about half a minute to load up for battles from the CD. On ISO? About five seconds or so. While that may not seem like that big a difference, multiply that times 1,000 battles or so and you're talking about a serious chunk of time saved. Also music skips less (if at all in ISO), which in turn makes the internal SPU that much better for most games now. I would highly recommend ANY game you're playing at the moment to be in the ISO format.

·
Registered
345 Posts
yeah runnin in ISO is better but if your like me, and play a bunch of games actively, its not possible

i am currently playing like 6 games with a total of like 12 discs and putting them all on my hard drive would take up over half my drive

i guess its time for an 80 gig hard drive :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't bother to use ISO's at all.
If you have the free Hard Disk space, just read an image of your PSX or backup CD and put it on your Hard Drive. Then use Daemon tools to map the image as a Virtual CD-ROM drive. You can run the game from your HDD without converting it from CD to ISO.
Unfortunatly you have to change the CD-ROM setup every time you change from real CD to fake CD's.:(
PS how can I make an ISO or convert another image from say CCD format to ISO?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
when people talk about isos, they are usually referring to cd backup images in general.
different programs make different types of images, and you usually need programs to interconvert them.
isobuster and discdump can create raw .iso images, and the way i usually convert is to load it into daemon tools and use that drive as the source drive for the program

·
Registered
538 Posts
Originally posted by Quickdart
PS how can I make an ISO or convert another image from say CCD format to ISO?
From what I remember, .CCD (CloneCD images) are ISO images with a different extension. Try renaming it .BIN/.ISO/.IMG, and load it in ePSXe. Or load it direct by selecting ALL FILES.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Originally posted by Iceparrot
cloneCD images are defintely NOT ISOS.. they actually save more data than BINS.

ISO!=BIN!=CCD

they are all different.
I beg to differ :)
Basically, all CD copying programs grab raw sectors from the CD, and dump them to disk. They should do them as raw sectors, sized at 2352 bytes. This means the core image they create is basically the same data.
Now CloneCD has the option to grab Subchannel data, but it writes is to a seperate file, not the main image file (it calls it .sub, I think).
I've just noticed that CDRWin can also grab subchannel data (2368 bytes per sector), but I don't know how it writes that to disk.
The only program I have found that writes more data to the disk is the PlexManager 2000 Disk Dupe program, which seems to write some extra sectors from the beginning of the disk. You can see this with a hex-editor, and you can easily locate the start of the "normal" header.
I did some binary compares between CDRWin, PlexManager 2000 Disk Dupe, and CloneCD, and noticed that only Disk Dupe had extra info in the main image file.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Originally posted by Nahky
... And this is why you don't argue with GPU authors (they obviously know their stuff =)
I am not infalible ;)
But if you want to convince me, then you need to offer proof of your reasoning :) I always try to offer proof of my statements, or explain why I am not offering it, but will always try to explain my reasoning if asked.
It is very important that you reach your own decisions in life: never blindly follow other people's assertions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts