Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I've been browsing as a guest for the past week or so running searches on my problem. I haven't found a clear answer yet so I figured I'd try a new post.

Here's some info
-----------------------------MACHINE CONFIG-----------------------------
Software:

Win XP Pro
ePSXe
AdriPSX
Alcohol120
ISO Producer
ISOBuster
Magic ISO
Nero 6
CDRWin

Hardware:
I do not have a CD/RW anymore, I do have a CD-ROM. Generic ATAPI 36X.
Dual Pentium III @ 800Mhz
SuperMicro 370DE6 MB Serverworks™ Serverset III HE-SL Chipset
512 MB RAM
Visiontek-Nvidia GeForce AGP Ti4600
Creative sound card (forgot which model)
Dual 10K RPM SCSI HD (18Gb a piece)
1 IDE HD 10GB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I own a Playstation, as well as the games I am going to describe. This is for my personal use, and any info I am requesting here is for my benefit. The discs are legall "store bought" copies I own, and this is in regards to making playable backups.

------------------------------MY GOAL---------------------------------

My ultimate goal is to rip the data from the PSX disc, edit/replace certain files (.TIM images), then re-pack the data as an ISO and run the game.

----------------------------WHAT WORKS------------------------------

So far, I have sucessfully ripped the data into BIN/CUE format. It runs the game, without music. This is undesirable, but acceptable.

---------------------------THE PROBLEM--------------------------------

The problem comes when I try to edit the ISO. The only program that looks like it can actually edit the contents is Magic ISO. Unfortuantely, when I open the BIN, it's only showing a measly 42MB of 481MB. When it's saved as an ISO, neither ePSXe, nor AdriPSX will run the data. It will run the original BIN file.

Also, thre's an option to convert BIN to ISO. This works and the size looks correct, however it still will not run on the emulators.

I'm out of ideas. I have tried every conceivable option. Ripping from NERO and Alcohol120 gives me certain read errors from the disc. I would almost say that's hardware related, but I can rip into BIN fine from AdriPSX and Magic ISO. Any help what so ever would be great. Especially in the area of editing and replacing files. Note-I have Photoshop with the TIM plugin. So the actuall editing part is not where the problem lies.

Thanks to all in advance!
Ryan

The game is Wipeout and Wipeout XL.

Wipeout 3 requires a whole new post since I can't even get it to run on the emulator off CD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got a new DVD/RW drive.

I have successfully edited the load screen and added some new audio tracks to the game. :)

It looks like allot of the .TIM files I want to edit are archived. I believe the archives are labeled with the CMP extention. Some of the other files are sound files found in the .AV file in the root directory of the CD.

Questions:
1) Any idea on how to open, edit, and repack these archives?

2) Simillar to question one. I have been able to extract the sound files with one of the utilities, but I have no way of opening the archives to repack new sounds. Ideas?

I can extract the sound effects with one of the utilities, but I have no way of repacking them into the appropriate archives.

tia

·
AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
I really dont know howto, but i know it is possible, since ive seen lots of "custom" Winning eleven games, both from psx and ps2, with brazilians teams instead of the default ones...
They´ve changed not the name of the players, but also their flag and other status.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Did you set the retries in Alcohol to 16? (highest setting) Did you set Alcohol so it will slow the read speed when errors are encountered? Did you use the Playstation profile in Alcohol?

If you do those things, you might be able to get an error-free image made.

As for other tools making images without errors, it could be that they're getting errors and ignoring them. Are you certain your WipEout CDs don't have label-side scratches?

Once you've made an error-free image, you can use the Mooby2 plugin to read it and get the music. Be sure to turn the CD-sound volume slider up when playing. Search these boards for WipEout and you should find my configs. By the way, WipEout 1 runs at an inconsistent speed in ePSXe - try sssPSX instead for that one.

Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:thumb: Thanks for the replies.

I used a few methods in combination, and eventually got all the files from the games onto the computer HD. The majority of the copying was fine, there was just a few files that were giving me trouble. With Wipeout and Wipeout XL, I would get an error "Invalid MS-DOS function" when trying to drag and drop those particular files. I tried ISOBuster and extracting the RAW data worked, but the file size was all wrong. This produced a defunct file and was never bootable in the EMU's when re-copied back to CD.

AdriPSX pulled the data fine into an ISO file, so I know the CD was fine. Visibly it's okay too. I tried a few different settings with Alcohol 120. I kept the speed low but had retries set to three *I think*. That program does look like it has a few options in there, I just am not very familiar with it yet.

As far as the package extraction goes, I am still looking around for an archive extractor that can read CMP compression. I'll try Mooby2. So far PSound (or something like that) had worked on pulling sounds out of the files. I can pull them and convert them to WAV, but just can't modify and insert them back into the PSX file just before the burn.

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
That's with the actual PSX hardware itself, not the emulator. It couldn't care less if you're using a burnt copy. If the emulator doesn't play a burnt disc, there is something wrong with the data itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Cliff Notes: The ISO problem has been resoved by simple not making ISO's. Instead just mirroring he CD to my hard drive.
Still not sure what was causing the copy errors. Disc is perfect, CD-ROM is new. Through a mix of programs I was able to extract them into the directory I have mirrored on my HD. From here I can burn this back to CD and play it on the emulator fine.

Sorry for any confusion but I should clarify where I stand now. I realize that my descriptions are sort of lenghty. It's been a little difficult for me to pinpoint the problems. On top of this my computer at home is not on the web so I have to remember what I can and type it all up at work.

The actual problem I had with ISO editing has just been bypassed. I have just mirrored the PSX CD to the HD. I have discovered there's really no need to make an ISO package with what I'm doing, the original issue is prety much null and void now.

Wether copying files to an ISO file, or mirroring the CD structure to the hard disk, I DID have some errors. Those errors have since been resolved. What's strange, is this. If the file actually was copied to the to the hard disk in ISO format, and was identical byte for byte as the CD's file, the error would carry over and repeat when extracted from the ISO. This is why my first guess was some form of copyright protection. It looked like some methods of copying certain files didn't like the way the data was setup in the sectors. Some files needed to be copied from the CD in non traditional manner. An example is that I had to use Magic ISO to extract
MAKE.AV
XTRO.AV
XTRO1.AV
XTRO2.AV
XTRO3.AV
files from Wipeout XL to my computer. These 5 files were the only five on the PSX disc that wouldn't copy normally.

I can copy these back to CD fine. I make a mixed mode CD with Nero, add the data and audio, then burn. Anyway, that's my workaround until I find a more efficient way.

I haven't tried the PS2 yet. It's all been running through emulation on the PC. It looks like you may need the developers toolkit and some specific discs for that. I haven't really been worried about that though.

As far as opening the files I have copied to my HD for more in depth texture editing, I found a couple if zip programs that might be able to extract and/or decompress these files. I will play around this weekend and see if any of them work.

Ryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.