Next Generation Emulation banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Kay sorry for bumping, but its just that since I got this new laptop I want a router really quickly because the laptop's pretty useless without internet connectivity and can't wait for a few months to get it from the US :D

I came across this Linksys WRT54GR one which costs $55 here. It has 2 external antennas so range mustn't be a problem:

SG :: Linksys WRT54GR Wireless Router (can't give links to the Cisco website cuz their specs page about this isn't working).

So what do you guys think? I'm trying to avoid lesser-known brands like ZyXEL and Planet cuz I don't want to be in a position where the router just breaks down after like 2 days and I can't do anything about it cuz there's no warranty on it.

· No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
I haven't seen that model available in the US, but it has all of the same features that my current router has.

UPNP is really nice if you're using a torrent program that supports it. *cough* :heh:

I give it a thumbs up.

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks masta :) Just brought it today and it is a fine product indeed. I'm getting 100% signal from 2 rooms away with the 2 massive antennas sticking out of it :D

· No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
Sweet! Just make sure to turn on MAC address inclusion and set a good password. I'm sure your neighbors are probably seeing a good signal too.

· Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
atm I've only put an access password and an admin password in place and forwarded the port uTorrent is using :D Can't get a word of the other stuff in the settings page (the browser --> IP address one). Its fine though, I have relative who's done his masters in networking and he'll be coming over tomorrow to beef up the security even more and set-up the file-sharing between the PC and the laptop (whether its ad-hoc or infra-structure mode)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.