Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
So basically the ISP will assign one IP address to the router, and then the router will assign 2 further internal IPs to the 2 nodes?
Correct.

But how do I set up a software firewall then (I've heard these hardware firewalls are over-rated, is that true?). Will the nodes simply detect 2 separate networks? If so then that will make it pretty easy since I can just tick off one as public, and the other as a private.
It's not entirely necessary. I have my router set up to only allow specific MAC addresses to connect to it. Also, I use a network password with AES/TKIP2 security. So far, no one other than me has ever accessed the router.

Isn't ad-hoc only for a home network? In that I won't be able to have internet connectivity?
If both PCs already have a wireless connection to the router, then they will both have their own internet connection via the router.

An adhoc network exists between 2 or more wireless enabled PCs separate from the router connection. You could use the adhoc connection for file/printer sharing, etc.

BTW, are these 2 routers okay?

ZyXEL 802.11g Wireless Firewall Router / P-320W

Welcome to PLANET Technology Corporation.

(the first is more expensive then the 2nd)
Haven't heard of those brands. I've always used Linksys once US Robotics pretty much just disappeared.

EDIT: the second one has better security.

7,022 Posts

7,022 Posts
I haven't seen that model available in the US, but it has all of the same features that my current router has.

UPNP is really nice if you're using a torrent program that supports it. *cough* :heh:

I give it a thumbs up.

7,022 Posts
Sweet! Just make sure to turn on MAC address inclusion and set a good password. I'm sure your neighbors are probably seeing a good signal too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.