1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
22amps is insufficient these days.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts
I don't like that single +12 rail....only 22 Amps? :/ A decent PSU usually has 72 Amps nowadays
Haha, you hook computers up to your 30amp oven circuit? Amps essentially the capacity of the line, and no beefy computer is ever going to pull 30 of them, let alone 72. The line you plug your machine into is only 15:p

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Haha, you hook computers up to your 30amp oven circuit? Amps essentially the capacity of the line, and no beefy computer is ever going to pull 30 of them, let alone 72. The line you plug your machine into is only 15:p
lol, seems you need schooling in how powersupply amps are calculated :D

simple explanation is that the transformer and coils store power like a battery, and act a as a multiplier of the original input amps. because the input frequency is higher then the output frequency the battery effect is constantly charged so the output amps are constant without dropping back to the level of input amps.

as it is when the 8800GTX released, it required atleast 18amps for a normal system.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts
lol, seems you need schooling in how powersupply amps are calculated :D
Please school me then? I would like to know why a power supply requires 72 amps.

simple explanation is that the transformer and coils store power like a battery, and act a as a multiplier of the original input amps. because the input frequency is higher then the output frequency the battery effect is constantly charged so the output amps are constant without dropping back to the level of input amps.

as it is when the 8800GTX released, it required atleast 18amps for a normal system.
Ah my mistake then, I was confusing line capacity with the stored capacity of the power supply.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
No worries, im sure i could've explained it better myself, but its basically how it works.

The input for a ThermalTake 650 is
Input Current 115VAC/8A Max. 230VAC/5A Max.

and then manages

another way to explain it is transforming 240V @ 15A, to 12 3.3 or 5V will provide more Amps,
going by the input current i stated, the lower the voltage, the higher the amps provided, which iirc is due to the lower resistance.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
In computers you get what you spend .

Its not like furniture or clothing that you can get for 1000$ at one place and the same thing for 100$ at another place

Biostar is fine, but not a very good company .Id rather pay a little extra for an Asus or gigabyte board which are good quality , last longer and a way better built .

·
Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
I don't like the idea of spending over $100 on less watts.
You're a little misconceived there. More wattage doesn't mean better in a lot of cases. The price of that PSU should've flagged some warning signals from you. It doesn't even have a 80+ efficiency tag. It's rated at 680W, but probably pumps out no more then 450W-ish.

Biostar is no different from an asus, aside from spending more money on an asus mobo for the same features.
Oh, there is a huge difference between the two. BIOSTAR caters more to the generic and pre-built PCs. Asus is performance. But as long as you stay stock with the BIOSTAR board, it should be ok. I just don't know what their warranty is like though.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
the fact it doesn't even output more then 22A, i doubt it even reaches 450w.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Well, here's a basic lesson in physics: 22A * 12v = 264W as a theoretical max output on your 12v rail.

I wish you the best of luck, most likely you'll blow out your PSU as soon as you put your computer under heavy stress. The CPU is a 125W TDP one, while your videocard isn't exactly low-energy either. Add all your motherboard and harddrive power draw to that and there's hardly any headroom left on your 12v rail.

Actually, you're better off with a 550W quality power supply, since those usually have 2 or 3 12v rails with a combined wattage of 400W on the 12v rail. This is more than enough to power any single videocard/quadcore setup.

Bottom line: Get a better power supply, you're risking your entire system.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.