Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While using either sound plugin for any game, when you load to the next sceen(ex. Final Fantasy9, walking into a house) the sound drags on for about 2 secs then goes back to normal once your in the new area. Does this happen to you? Maybe my system specs have to be better? By the way, it does this for both iso and running of cdrom. Cdrom is much worse though. My system specs are as follows

WinXP
Duron 750
geforce 2 ultra
256 ram
20gig 7200rpm
12x dvd

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
To help you, we need your plugins and configs. But my first wild guess is that you might have OSD (Off-Screen Drawing) turned way up. Also, certain plugins do XA better than others. Try switching to Eternal's SPU and see where that gets you.

Another question: does the FPS go down, or just the music?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My fps stays at 59 and as soon as i enter a new scene it quickly goes down to 52 then back upto 59. I am using petes opengl and the eternal spu plugins. I have tried all of them with the game and the ones that can run the game, do the same thing. I tried updating my vid drivers as well as sound drivers but still not luck. I cant see it being my system for I have a geforce 2 ultra with 64 megs of ram. The games run great except for this little sound problem(annoying). Also, where is this OSD (Off-Screen Drawing) option you speak of?

WinXP
Duron 750
Geforce 2 Ultra
256 ram
Sound Blaster Live
20gig 7200rpm HD
12x DVD

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never mind, I found the OSD, I just forgot the name. Do you have any other ideas of what might be causing this?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Is the game accessing the Cd? I think you'll find it's dropping cause PC cd rom access latency sucks....Try making an ISO of the disk.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Well if that's the case then it suggests that its the loading of the next screen which is causing the glitch. I'd check that the DMA option for you HDD in device manager is switched on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an ata100 which doesnt allow me to set dma. My hard drive is considerd the fastest ide drive you can get right now(benchmarks all over net prove this). I have tried all plugins, sound and video.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also put everything at the fullest graphics and it runs exactly the same so I know for a fact its not on account of my system being slow

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Originally posted by MC_Renzy
I also put everything at the fullest graphics and it runs exactly the same so I know for a fact its not on account of my system being slow
I think it is rather normal.. Although I dont' get 2 second lags like you.. I get 1\2 sec lags when changing scenes.. Barely noticeable.. But this only happens when running off cds.. I get little to no lag at all when running from isos.. Have you tried defragging your HD?

OH, and your graphics card is good, but your cpu may be bogging some parts of emulation down a bit.. Not much, but noticeable enough.. I have a tbird gig and these types of problems also appear, even if rarely.. Running isos from a Maxtor 40 gig ata100 7200 rpm HD.. Gonna get an 80 gig HD this christmas.. I may need a tbird c-1.4 gig 266 fsb cpu.. Then all slowdowns and lags should be history.. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya thats what I was thinking. My cpu isnt the greatest for handling calculations. Hey Fivefeet, what kind of video card do you have?

·
The Nexus of a Crisis, and The Origin of Storms
767 Posts
Originally posted by MC_Renzy
I have an ata100 which doesnt allow me to set dma. My hard drive is considerd the fastest ide drive you can get right now(benchmarks all over net prove this). I have tried all plugins, sound and video.
Hmm, I might be wrong, but are you aure about this? I ask because I have an ATA100 Mobo, as well as an IBM 307030, which was the creme of the crop back when I bought it some 9 months ago. Well, maybe not in terms of size, but for data transfer it rocked.

Anyways, I would double check your drive properties through control panels/system, and makle sure DMA is on for sure.

As for your problem itself, Im not really sure what to tell ya. Could maybe be that the Duron with its smaller cache is simply having to load/process more during the scene change operations. Honestly, I really dont know.

Just a thought or two,
TastEPlasma

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
It depends on the computer system.. My system doesn't allow me to set DMA for my harddrive from windows, but my motherboard bios allows settings for DMA to all my ide devices even my harddrive.. I have my Harddrive DMA set to UDMA5 meaning ata 100 = 100mbytes\sec.. In windows, there is no dma setting for my Harddrive, only for my cd rom drives..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts