Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GPU:

PNY XLR8 9800 GT EE 512MB PCI-Express 2.0 DVI + DVI + HDTV/SDTV Graphics Card VCG98GT5EEXEB

Motherboards:
Intel DG41RQ Motherboard CPU Bundle - Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.80GHz Retail Processor

PSU:
L & C Model: Lc-B540 E
+5V & + 3.3V COMBINED LOAD 230W
+5V & + 3.3V & 12V COMBINED LOAD 422W
Total output is 450W max

Could someone explain to me how much other required compenents would weigh on the psu? I'm a complete noob at building pcs and would like someone to explain if this combo is gonna work.

EDITED COMPONENTS.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Are they Compatible?: Yes

Is this PSU enough?: I wouldn't bet on it

PSU:
L & C Model: Lc-B540 E
+5V & + 3.3V COMBINED LOAD 230W
+5V & + 3.3V & 12V COMBINED LOAD 422W
Total output is 450W max

Could someone explain to me how much other required compenents would weigh on the psu? I'm a complete noob at building pcs and would like someone to explain if this combo is gonna work.
There's no way to tell without listing what other components you are using. You should always look at your PSU's individual voltage rails in terms of amperage, not wattage. From the figures above, I can deduce the amperage of your 12V (most important rail):

422W - 230W = 192W / 12V = 16A on the 12V rail

Your CPU, GPU, HDD(s), and optical drive(s) all pull current from the 12V rail. The CPU and GPU together pull the greatest amount of current. You should also list which CPU you are planning to use. Also, why a 9500GT? I know they're cheap, but I think you should go no lower than a 9600GT.

Finally, you should use newb, not noob, unless you plan on making this a Gameman-style thread. :p

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I understood more than half of what you just said then I would just decide myself :(
Question: Will a Pci express x16 2.0 carrd be compatible with a pcie x16?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
If I understood more than half of what you just said then I would just decide myself :(
What are saying? Would you like a suggestion? If so, just give us a budget to work with for the power supply.

Question: Will a Pci express x16 2.0 carrd be compatible with a pcie x16?
Yes.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Yes, only multigpu cards benefit from the additional bandwidth of 2.0.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I got 500 bucks to work with atm.
I already have tons of dvd rs mouses keyboards and a large Xblade pc case so that don't fit into the equation. Also got the 250 gig hard drive from my previous pc..

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
450 watts for this card is really pushing it. It might be enough if the system has only the very basics (a single HDD, mouse, keyboard and a single disc drive) but if there are more stuff (including expansion cards, USB devices, etc.) connected then go for something that's 150-250 watts more powerful (that depends on the PSU power efficiency).

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Just needs a CPU cooler, some thermal grease, and RAM. Someone else will have to chime in on these and (maybe) recommend a different board. Beyond my laptop, I've skipped the Core2 generation, so someone else will need to lend their product expertise. I'm here for the power supply recommendation.

450 watts for this card is really pushing it. It might be enough if the system has only the very basics (a single HDD, mouse, keyboard and a single disc drive) but if there are more stuff (including expansion cards, USB devices, etc.) connected then go for something that's 150-250 watts more powerful (that depends on the PSU power efficiency).
The 450W PSU I have recommended is more than enough for a 9800GT. It provides enough power on the 12V rail alone to power an OCed CPU and GPU. Multi-GPU with 2 OCed 9800GTs is really pushing it on that PSU.

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
ahhh
Lonewolf, Corsair under-rate their psu's, the 620HX is capable of 720W before load errors start occuring.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
And I'd stay away anything called MSI Neo, I have quite the bad experiences with this crapass P35 MSI Neo I have for my GF, it can't even set the bloody voltage to the level specified in the BIOS.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
And I'd stay away anything called MSI Neo, I have quite the bad experiences with this crapass P35 MSI Neo I have for my GF, it can't even set the bloody voltage to the level specified in the BIOS.
Ive read some good reviews on them oO and my dad ran one for over a year and a half with no issues. But i havnt tried it myself. so i cant be certain

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
you can get the Gigabye GA-EG31MF-S2. It has 4 ram slot and 7.1 sound. though G31 chipset can support only 4gb of ram.
My mother bought a gigabyte board abou 2 years ago, fried two 250 gig hard drives. No thnx :3

OFF TOPIC: My internet has been down for about 15 hours and now tghat its back up its running so smoothly 0_o. You think my isp upgraded their tower or something?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Motherboards don't fry hard drives.

Power supplies fry harddrives.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.