Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had plans on getting a laptop, But apparently my budget isnt good enough to get one powerful enough to run pcsx2 :(

so instead im getting a desktop with these specs:

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200+ 2.33GHz
Memory 4 GB DDR2
Hard Disk 1 TB
Graphics NVIDIA GTS 250

is this good enough for pcsx2?

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
You're coming from an AMD CPU, aren't you? It's just called a Q8200, not a Q8200+.

The RAM and GPU are fine. The CPU will be okay, but the weak point. Overclock it and/or use speed hacks and it'll be good enough.

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
I had plans on getting a laptop, But apparently my budget isnt good enough to get one powerful enough to run pcsx2 :(

Memory 4 GB DDR2
Hard Disk 1 TB
Graphics NVIDIA GTS 250

You should fist try it. you won't get full speed. run it on vista and use gsdx sse4 plugin for video.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Memory 4 GB DDR2
Hard Disk 1 TB
Graphics NVIDIA GTS 250

PCSX (as well as most games) don't really benefit from Quad cores. If you are tight on cash, a "simple" core 2 duo 8600 will net you better performance for much less. Also, if you are running XP or 7, then 2GB is more than enough.

If you DO want a quad core processor though, I recommend getting an i5. The 1166 slot, along with the DDR3 memory is much more future proof. (i think, I'm not an intel man, so some numbers might be wrong)

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Core2 and socket 775 is a thing of the past. There will be a few more CPU additions to the platform, but otherwise it's at a virtual dead end.

Core i5 and the socket 1156 platform is more future proof because it's Intel's new platform. Raw performance-wise, i5 doesn't offer much more performance over Core2, though I would still go with i5 because it's future proof.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
1366 + 1156 = 1166.

^
The confusion in having 2 sockets this generation is one more reason why Intel needs to settle with one.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Why don't you save up a little bit more and get a P55 based system instead since socket 775 is dead and intel no longer support that platform.
Socket 775 is not an unsupported platform. It isn't even discontinued.
PCSX (as well as most games) don't really benefit from Quad cores. If you are tight on cash, a "simple" core 2 duo 8600 will net you better performance for much less. Also, if you are running XP or 7, then 2GB is more than enough.
The E8600 is not a simple CPU in the way you're describing. What you're trying to go for is a good price for performance CPU. The E8600 is not that. It's overpriced (I think you can get some Core i7s and/or Core i5s for less). An E8400 or E8500 would be what you're looking for.
Core2 and socket 775 is a thing of the past. There will be a few more CPU additions to the platform, but otherwise it's at a virtual dead end.

Core i5 and the socket 1156 platform is more future proof because it's Intel's new platform. Raw performance-wise, i5 doesn't offer much more performance over Core2, though I would still go with i5 because it's future proof.
While this is sound advice in reason and theory, and while I do pretty much agree with it, I equally don't. "Futureproofing" is a joke with PCs.

This is just one example, but look at early quad core Core 2s. Everyone who bought those Q6x00 CPUs have something that will likely be too slow by time enough things that seriously needs them is out. During their time, they payed more for them than they would had for a faster, cheaper Core 2 Duo, and all the while had a slower (lower clocked) CPU, just to have two more cores that were barely ever used, especially in real world use to a good extent. Kind of funny.

Another example was the rage about the GeForce 9x00 GPUs being so fast and great, that when I built my PC, I put a GeForce 8600 GTS in as a stopgap rather than getting the GeForce 8800GT. That was a big mistake. The GeForce 9 series was a joke, and I had to get a GeForce 8800GT anyway (The GeForce 9 cards at first were alot more expensive but not much faster, save the 9800GX2 which I wasn't interested in).

There's more (some even in favor of waiting, such as when I delayed my build a month for Wolfdale), but I'm showing you a point that there exists another side to it.

Nobody knows what Intel will do with it's sockets, so the Core i5 may be no more future proof than to someone getting a decent Core 2 now. What if it's discontinued or relegated to the budget sector? What if the user wants to get a higher end CPU? Intel split the high and low with different sockets. Anything higher than what's out now probably won't be "that" much faster for that socket in the future (that's a long-winded guess obviously, but my point is, we don't know).

Most people don't upgrade CPUs too often. That may make you think future proofing is the way to go with them, but it's a gamble. You can buy smart to an extent, but I honestly think the best advice is "get the most you can with your budget now". That is the key. There's always more around the corner. Sandy Bridge is coming. What socket will it use? Due to newer chipsets needed for newer CPUs, you usually need a new motherboard anyway (unless it's of the direct previous generation, then a BIOS update may suffice). Don't bother trying to guess and play the infinite waiting game. Who care's how old/what stage it's in of it's life? It's price and performance are what matters. The Core 2, while nearing it's own end (I'm not arguing that point), is still plenty fast, and it fits the gap between AMD's cheaper CPUs and Intel's top dog Core i7/Core i5/Core i-whatever. There's still uses for it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Socket 775 IS a dead platform. There will be no more cpu released on this socket. Intel will support it for a couple more years to get rid of the old inventory and that will be it. P55 is starting to replace P45 and pretty soon, you won't be able to find any P45 mobos or cpus. P55 isn't just about being newer and more future proof, it is also a pretty significant step up from Core 2. For one, it is no longer limited by the FSB and uses an integrated memory controller to maximize memory bandwidth. And btw, Intel has always had two different sockets out each generation, and this is no different. Just like last gen's socket 775 and 771, 1156 is for the mainstream/budget/performance while 1366 is for high end and servers.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Dead platform? Geez. If Intel can squeeze money out of it, do you think they will give it up? Sure they may not be any more major releases, but Core 2 is far from being an obsolete platform. I laugh at any one who says they want to future proof". Just spend your money now and have no regrets.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Memory 4 GB DDR2
Hard Disk 1 TB
Graphics NVIDIA GTS 250

If your gonna buy a new PC look into the New I5 it costs roughly the same and its leagues better.

The 775 socket is pretty much dead and will cost almost the same.

If your stuck to 775 socket get a Q6600 or a Q9450 the 8200 sucks in terms of cache making the Q6600 faster and the Q9450 much faster. The Q8200 has my vote for the biggest waste of cash since lower models out perform it (google the benchmarks)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.