Next Generation Emulation banner

Is there life in space?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
If space is as infinite as people have made out, then generally the odds of finding life are rather large.

when i say life i mean insects and plantlife, not anything resembling humans.

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
I really hope there is intelligent life in this universe we're living in.
Because the Human race is so sucky it's sad.

Need something like the Asgards!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I personally believe that in all likelihood there are intelligent creatures out there, much more intricate than bacteria and the like, and I don't doubt the possibility that they could be far more intelligent than humans by all measures. But no, I'm not convinced that they've visited here in their little flying saucers and what not.

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
I think there is a good chance that life exists elsewhere in the universe but without any evidence I can't really say. The only thing I can do is speculate and imagine.

BTW, has anyone here watched The Universe series season 3, episode 12? It shows some of the possibilities of how life might evolve on other planets based on our knowledge of the cosmos and the process of evolution.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
dude... life exists under my bed, so why wouldn't there be life on other planets.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Certainly life exists out there somewhere in the infinite mass of the universe. Most probably we'll never know they exist because of the sheer vastness of space and our own mortality.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
I personally beileve that life/aliens do exist in space. And that scientists that look at the "neccesities of life" but are only looking at what we here on earth need. It is how we adapted to the conditions on earth millions of years ago. Who isnt to say there are other life forms that can survive one no oxygen, maybe they have adapted to live on carbon dioxide, or even other types of gas found in space. Along with the idea, why we think we are the only intelligent life, humans have only been around for a few million years. And the universe itself is billions. Then the whole coming to earth thing, if we can fly to the moon and have people walk on it, why cant other life exist and want to accomplish that same feat?

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
I personally beileve that life/aliens do exist in space. And that scientists that look at the "neccesities of life" but are only looking at what we here on earth need. It is how we adapted to the conditions on earth millions of years ago. Who isnt to say there are other life forms that can survive one no oxygen, maybe they have adapted to live on carbon dioxide, or even other types of gas found in space. Along with the idea, why we think we are the only intelligent life, humans have only been around for a few million years. And the universe itself is billions. Then the whole coming to earth thing, if we can fly to the moon and have people walk on it, why cant other life exist and want to accomplish that same feat?
Scientists look for earth-like planets but that doesn't mean they're only looking for earth-like life. We know that there are many different varieties of life, even on earth (some life on earth doesn't require oxygen and we have even discovered whole communities of life that can survive without heat and energy from the sun) and scientists take all this into account in their search for life. There are some promising ideas about what kind of life could be out there and where it could be. Moons like Titan and Europa still hold the promise of life and we have also discovered many extra-solar planets that could harbor life as well. Unfortunately we still don't have a single example to point to :(. However, we have already learned quite a bit exploring the space that we have explored (the lesson from the Voyager mission is to expect the unexpected) and I remain hopeful that we will eventually find some kind of life out there (hopefully not in the form of a giant assimilating cube :p).

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
It has been Proven that life exists in space in the form of tiny microbacteria.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.