Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, ive been buzzing over this one.
is there anyway to connect a console (eg playstation, dreamcast) to your pc and play it on your pc monitor?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
originally posted by ryoga:
"well, I have my PS2 hooked up to my PC, I have 2 video inputs, one on my TV-Tuner card, another on my ASUS geforce3"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
that is cool ;)
could you explain to me how you did it? please!
the last time i bought a console was when i had a tv and a megadrive 8 years ago!:D

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote: originally posted by xevan:
"so what do you wanna connect to your pc then?"
ps2 or a dreamcast.

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
a. you can buy a vga box to connect your ps2 vid-out directly to the pc monitor.
b. buy a card that has a video line-in, and connect your ps2 vid-out there.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what about a dreamcast? is it the same thing? oh, and what is a vga box? is it like those things you use to like, connect a megadrive to a tv?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
one more favour........

can you post in some screenshots of what the games look like on the monitor?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
if you are using the tv in method, then the quality isn't better than tv because it's thru the same connection.
it might even be worse depending on the quality of your tv capture card

if you are using the "VGA box" method then you cannot just "take a screen shot" like you do with the computer... the box connects the console directly to the monitor, not thru the computer, so the computer cannot "see" the picture to make any screen shot.
well, unless you do it the old fashioned way... with a camera :D

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by takwu
if you are using the tv in method, then the quality isn't better than tv because it's thru the same connection.
it might even be worse depending on the quality of your tv capture card
also depends on what software you're using :)
I have a cheap bt848 card which is a bit of an older model, but it gives a good picture with my DC, especially when you use Dscaler (www.dscaler.org)
See also this thread:
http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8792

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
hey, great info thanx

S

·
0 Posts
no, in fact, all tv-cards perform very similar, since almost all of them either use a bt848 or bt878 chip. All new cards have a bt878 chip, of which some people say it performs slightly better, but the difference in picture quality is minimal. What's much more important is the software. Most tv-card software is crap, and you see a lot of scanlines , especially in games. Dscaler however, is free and uses filters to get rid of the scanlines, giving a much better picture. I dont know what the system requirements for Dscaler are, but I think it will run fine on most systems.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay, so i know the picture quality when using a video in.
since its impossible to take screenshots of the picture quality on a vga box, could someone at least describe to me the quality on the vga box.

S

·
0 Posts
just the same as a pc....
pick a pc game and set its resolution to 640x480. That's about what a DC looks like...however, the DC looks a little better in 640x480 than pc games since the DC games were optimised for that particular resolution, whereas pc games are often optimised for higher resolutions.

S

·
0 Posts
maybe you have a sega pc games? most of those run in 640x480, they give you a good idea of what it would look like...only DC games are newer and look better ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts