Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specs: C2D t6600 2.2 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Radeon HD3650 256MB, 64 bit Vista

I got around to testing PCSX2 tonight and I was a little disappointed with the performance. I was hoping that games like Final Fantasy X, Okami and Odin Sphere would run at full speed constantly, but they were only around 50 fps on average. Other games I tested including Suikoden 3 and Klonoa 2 showed modest improvements over version 0.94 running on my old PC but were still unplayably slow, around 30 fps on average. Do these numbers seem normal for my PC? I have enabled multithreading, EE and VU recompilers, the x2 cycle rate and the other three speed hacks.

I'm on a laptop so I probably shouldn't be overclocking and I don't really like frameskip. Is there anything else I can try, or am I out of luck?

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
oh darn you have an ATI.

There are numerous people that have issues with ati's 3000 and 4000 series gpu's. Seems when they went to a smaller die size 3000 and its successor the 4000 series, they chose to offload a bitof the work previously done on the gpu onto the cpu. Because of that performance suffers on an already stressed to the max cpu.

Lots of people (not everyone) has decreased performance on the 3000 series gpu's in conjunction with dual core cpus. Some with quadcore have been able to solve this issue since the idle 3rd and 4th cores seem to be handling this gpu offload, but strangely this hasn't seemed solve the performance issues everyone's case.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Actually it was 3xxx series too.

Let me find all the posts with people who had problems.

One was proxy1 lol, an employee of ATI who requested some help from gabest.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
I'll make it short and simple. Dual core CPUs and ATi Radeon HD 3xxx cards and newer ATi cards should not be paired together for PCSX2. Period. The reason is, those GPUs take up alot of CPU resources, and PCSX2 is a program that needs the most of two cores. This information (perhaps with some evidence or examples, but at least the warning itself) should be added to the hardware section of the PCSX2 requirements in the FAQ (which itself needs updated some since we're not at version 0.9.4 anymore, along with other information that is out of date [recommending quad cores as ideal over more speed, as well as 64-bit preparation, when 64-bit has been scrapped from the plans, as far as I know]).

qaopjlll, the above, along with the fact that the GPU is a mobile version, and the CPU is of sub-optimal speed, since you've already experimented configuring it, no, don't expect much better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.