Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I posted more or less this same question in another thread and got no comments.
Just trying to understand where are the efforts going in light of this branching from the "official" PCSX2; is it that:

a)
PCSX2 is stagnating a little, maybe their developers are moving to newer and better (Deservedly so, by the way) things and the Playground guys got a bit frustrated with the "There will be a new release when there will be a new release and dont's ask again or you will be banned" policy and decided to kind of take over from where it was.

b)
Official PCSX2 is moving along as usual, the Playground improvements might get retroffited into the Official PCSX2 at some point and their developers maybe will join the team.

c)
We (The user community) need to monitor now both branches (2 forums, 2 betas, etc.) to test them and see which one suits our needs better maybe one for some games and the other for other games.

d)
All, some or none of the above?

In any event, it does seem to me like sort of a duplicity of effort from people that are talented and difficult to find to start with which could move things along much faster if they worked in concert.

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
PCSX2 is 'still alive' (not that it was dead or anything).

PCSX2 Playground originally was an attempt to try a different approach in some areas (it could be defined as a separate, experimental effort), with expectation that proven working code might be considered to be accepted for submission into the pcsx2 project.

With the Playground version now moved to the pcsx2 domain, it can now benefit from the quality-control of the pcsx2 betatesters (as mentioned in the latest announcment).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comment Rikki.

Since it is a different approach as you say, then it does seem that as each team progresses on their own paths/ideas, getting things retroffited or join efforts will be harder .
Well, I guess we will just have to get used to 2 versions. (Pitty they are not together if you ask me).

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
actually they are in essence together, as the beneficial changes made in playground will be merged with the pcsx2 trunk

basically playground is unstable while pcsx2 is stable. Playground is the testbed for new ideas that may break compatibility in some games while making other faster and more compatible while the pcsx2 trunk is designed to provide more compatibility and accuracy rather than speed through hacks.

Eventually everything useful in playground will make it into the main pcsx2 code as they both use the same source.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
PCSX2 = Accuracy over speed emulation
PCSX2 playground = Speedhack/fixhacks over accuracy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I got it, thanks very much to all for your feedback, this is a fantastic community.

If a moderator wants to close this thread now, I am OK (Not that my opinion would matter terribly, :) )

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
You know, I'd been wondering this myself. Would seem a shame to have 2 completely separate branches. Nice to know that they are going to be helping each other.

·
You're already dead...
5,472 Posts
not really.

the original pcsx2 has plenty of hacks, they're just always on.
pcsx2 playground lets you configure them.

playground is more accurate in that you can configure different settings for different games.

ps2 emulation can't be done without hacks (well unless you want to play games at 1 fps with a software FPU ;p)

an example is that SSE registers can only hold half the amount of real-number values as PS2's FPU and VU registers.
so what happens when a game does something with those extra values?
you use hacks :p

the only way to accurately emulate it, is to code a software bit-accurate FPU, which would be extremely slow.
so for all practical purposes, we need hacks until hardware gets 50x faster ;)

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
Great Vibes. Any more questions ? :p

You know, I'd been wondering this myself. Would seem a shame to have 2 completely separate branches. Nice to know that they are going to be helping each other.
Well, I don't really mind Playground team fixing and improving a lot of stuff while the main team is busy with other things. Everybody wins. I'm really satisfied with the progress PG team is doing man. It's awesome. Being able to play megaten games on the emu without random freezes is something worth of 5 stars ;)
It raises a bar for Pcsx2

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
"Is there any synergy between PCSX2 and PCSX2 Playground teams?"

Yes, we talk to the original developers and testers from time to time.
There is no 2 teams working on the same problem or something, so no
valuable dev time wasted as well ;)

·
You're already dead...
5,472 Posts
:rotflmao: phil
epic post!

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Well that is debatable. Trying both versions myself I've noticed that the PG version is alot more stable is some games (with the right hacks enabled). Though thats not technically true since the emulation is being emulated incorrectly, it is observably true. I think the PG version should be the new merged with pcsx2. It seems to have good control over the hacks so if you want to disable them then you can.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts