Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use pete's open GL plugin set at 640x480. Will I see a big differance if I set it to something like 1024x768. The PSX graphics are naturally blocky so would a higher resolution make much differance?
Thanks,
BluDChyLD

P.S I have Duron 650, Geforce2 MX and 128mb RAM. Is my system powerful enough to run at 1024x768?

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
why not try it and see?
Some people say no,some say yes...
I personally play in 1280x1024 and it runs fine on my system but it's a bit beefier than yours..
I'd say it does look better (well sharper anyway) but thats just my opinion,others may dissagree.....

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Yup,I used to play in 800x600 with 4x FSAA,but since I got a new CPU,I'm playing in 1280x1024 and I won't go down for anything,it looks much better(check my GT2 screens in the screenshots section).

·
Registered
14 Posts
640x480 and 800x600 yield no significant difference on EpsxE IMHO.

When you get up to 1024x768, you then notice the images start to look a lot sharper. This doesn't effect MDECS though. ( I think your desktop resolution does )

Use what works best with you depending on your card, and you should be able to run "even" on some games regardless of your resolution. But at one point, you'll notice a significant slowdown.

I know everyone knows this already, but I'll just post it anyway. Try to match your desktop with your gaming resolution for the best effect. Having your computer switching resolutins in and out sometimes causes glitches and or crashes. Since your comp is constantly running your windows in the background with a different resolution, its always best to try and keep them the same so no problems end up.

But that's just my take on things with all 3d games. Use whatever is stable and works for you. Doesn't hurt to try either.

Except overclocking when your CPU melts :D

:) :( :eek: :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes: :mad: :eek: :confused: :yawn: :eyes: :dead: :emb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
In general, the 3d is affected only.

The 2d in playstation games are "Sprites" and do not change resolution unless you enable filtering and use 16bit color shading.

If you do that, that's probably the BEST you can make your sprites look. But for playstation graphics, that isn't bad at all when you put a game in a regulaur playstation and look at the "blockyness" in all its glory. :D

:) :( :eek: :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes: :mad: :eek: :confused: :yawn: :eyes: :dead: :emb:

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
the best resolutions for 2d would be the resolutions that are a mutiple of the original psx games.. 320x240.... so 640x480 makes 2d game look a little better since there is no pixel stretching.. I run my games at 960x720 with lewpys glide pluggin and 3d and 2d look great... Of course I got 4xFSAA on so that helps out a lot too with 2d and 3d.... I have read at www.anandtech.com about some reviews of the new geforce3 cards.. They rated some of them on 2d quality graphics and a few of them were very bad at 2d.. So if you want great 3d and 2d, make sure you check out all the different video cards first. The best resolution would be all up to you as long as your computer and vid card can handle it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just wanted everyone to know this first.

Playstation graphics and "bit" resolutions were NEVER intended to go up to 16bit or 32bit. In general, they use 256 colors or more, but never really up to 16bit color. (10bit color they use?)

Hence why playstation sprites look washed out and dull. As for the "sharpness" of the resolution, I guess its up to your video card and your "options".

But for color, don't bother leaving EpsxE on 32bit color, unless your desktop is also that resolution. You won't gain anymore "color" vibrance. Imho, with 16 bit, you can even have the option of "increasing" shading, which melts everything together nicely.

But that's just my two cents.

S

·
0 Posts
FSAA, filtering, video card, drivers, resolution. That about says it all.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
106 Posts
Originally posted by BluDChyLD
I use pete's open GL plugin set at 640x480. Will I see a big differance if I set it to something like 1024x768. The PSX graphics are naturally blocky so would a higher resolution make much differance?
Thanks,
BluDChyLD
Yes, it does make a difference, especially if you have a big monitor. I have a 21" monitor, and running in 640X480 makes everything look bad.

S

·
0 Posts
I'm running in 800x600 or 1024 x768, sometimes 1280x1024 but the refresh rate is lower. FSAA turned off most of the time because it causes framedrop.

p3 800, geforce2mx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts