·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
Razor Blade said:
yeah, its a shame they didnt test disabling Security Center, many people do that as me lol

anyway, dunno u people but i feel SP2 to be faster somehow, and for the memory managemente its greatly improved, i like it :)

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really haven't noticed any difference between speed on SP2 or SP1. I usually disable as many services as possible anyways. Plus Gaming. Browsing the Internet and Photoshop are what I do anyways - and for the it would mostly be Ram, Internet Speed and Graphics cards that determine that anyways :p

SP2 is more secure so even though it is a little slower, I would still reccomend it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, in my case the SP2 slow down my system and my memory usage increased in about 40 Mb, just like it says in that article and i don't have the security center enable :/.

S

·
0 Posts
well, I didnt notice anything on my main pc, but my laptop got really slow.
but that one's out of work anyway until the a/c adapter's replaced. :/
(it might have to do with memory usage; the laptop only has 256mb)

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
I just wont install it now, maybe next year? :)

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next year, Longhorn will most likely be out :p

S

·
0 Posts
well, he could skip sp2 and get longhorn...at once. but that probably has some issues as well, so you'd wait another year when something new comes out again....
hmmm....

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Or switch to Apple who has pretty much no security issues ... But that's just wrong. oO

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Macs have a security hole the size of the grand canyon but nobody bothers to hack and not many scripts have been written for script kiddies to use against macs as most ppl think it's not worth the effort compared to a large target like M$

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
That was the most retarded test I have ever seen, every machine is different. How can you use benchmarks to test if a Service Pack makes a machine faster or slower? It's ridiculous.:lol:

Is Windows 2000 faster or slower with Service Pack 1, 2, 3 or 4?:p There are so many factors that effect scores in benchmarks... I wouldn't take any of that test seriously.

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
yes there are many factors that affect benchmarks, but would only matter if u make benchmark only once, normally when this kind of articles are posted, there have been at least 5 tests of the same thing to be more exact :p

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
I could do 5 tests of the same thing on my computer and it still wouldn't prove ****.:p That 1 FPS difference could have been due to many things. A read on the hard disk for example, but probably not.

My point being, is that some ****ty benchmark is no reason not to install a Service Pack. If you have XP, just install the damn thing. You'll be glad you did.:)

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm still running on SP1 since I'm on dialup with a newly announced 150 hr/month limited usage, which makes getting any large file now out of the question (how big is sp2 anyway)? I'll just wait til I go back to uni to get it.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I agree Esturk. ;) SP2 has way more Pro's than Cons. I havn't noticed any slowdowns and had only minor problems that got fixed in a few minutes by asking questions of the net or using Google :p

edit: And bahamut, you can order a copy from Microsoft here Free of Charge. Meaning no shipping or anything. The only catch is you gotta wait 4 to 6 weeks :p I ordered mine for the hell of it.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Razor Blade said:
I agree Esturk. ;) SP2 has way more Pro's than Cons. I havn't noticed any slowdowns and had only minor problems that got fixed in a few minutes by asking questions of the net or using Google :p

edit: And bahamut, you can order a copy from Microsoft herehere Free of Charge. Meaning no shipping or anything. The only catch is you gotta wait 4 to 6 weeks :p I ordered mine for the hell of it.
Thanks Razor for backing me up. I'm totally serious about the things I've said. Hehe, I actually ordered a Service Pack 2 cd from Microsoft. Got it in 2 weeks.:)

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ordered mine 2 days ago. I live in Canada which is right above the U.S. so I hope it comes fast :p

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Razor Blade said:
I ordered mine 2 days ago. I live in Canada which is right above the U.S. so I hope it comes fast :p
Mine came from Old Caste, Ontario. Microsoft Canada. You should get it fairly quickly. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts