Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Not a Registered User
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's no secret that development of PS1 emulation has slowed to a crawl if not stopped completely, either or both due to lack of interested devs, complexity or there not much being left to do.
This fate of many emulators of days past, like when was the last NES emulator updated?

In case of ePSXe it boast's a 98-99% accuracy rate thou I wish that it's devs would strive for that 100% or at the very least finished and fixed new functions and bugs introduced in 2.0 like HLE emulation, multi threading, net play and CPU overclock glitch
Is it to much to hope that the devs one day would release the source code?

PCSX-R while receiving some updates to it's core it's still dependent on decade old plugins, the only worthy note is the PGXP project trying to improve upon one of major PS1 fkaws.

Xebra while as accurate as ePSXe if not more it provides no improvement to the original and it's very user unfriendly, I always thought that Xebra is more of a testing and debugging tool than a game oriented emulator.

RetroArch with it's beetle HW core I can't comment on as I never got this shit to work, so meh.

And many others like pSX No$PSX, Bleemcast or VGS and other's some which back in the day showed promise now decades old now abandonware.

What's your thoughts is there still any future for PS1 emulation and what could still be improved?

On a side note.
ePSXe 2.0.5 change log from 2016.

ePSXe 2.0.5 for windows have been released.

You can find it in the downloads section.

The changes are:

- Updated the x86 recompiler to use the same recompiler than in the rest of versions (Android, Linux x64, Mac ...). Now it should be easier to fix problems in all versions.
- Ported the local netplay from Android (Experimental). This version is compatible using local netplay with the rest of ePSXe versions from the version 2.0.5 (MacOSX, Linux x86, Linux x64 and Android - version 2.0.6). (Additional info the epsxe docs)
- Ported the GPUCORE threading mode from the Android version. The PC CPUs are faster than Android CPUs, so it will improve less FPS. (This option is better when the CPU is slower).
- Added new threading modes to the Pete OpenGL2 Core Plugin. It includes a basic 2-thread mode, and 2 extra modes adding soft/hardware effects. (It could improve some effects, for example the burning photo on the start of Castlevania)
- In the INPUTCORE plugin, swapped the vibration actuators when using the Xinput mode (to match to real PSX Left/Right). Besides when using a gamepad in digital mode, now you can use the left stick as the dpad.
- Fixed the >2GB PBP roms support. Now it should be able to run the PSX2PSP isos bigger than 2GB as Final Fantasy VIII PSP pack.
- Fixed the cheat codes support when running on the interpreter mode.
- Added a new option in the cheat codes window to download cheat codes from the ePSXe version (Thanks to psxdatacenter.com)
- Fixes to the core which made more games playable or better working. (WING COMMANDER IV, MONKEY HERO)

Regards,
ePSXe Team.
Why wasn't that PBP fix implemented into the android version since then? sorry, just something i noticed, it's an issue i raised a while back here on the forum.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,506 Posts
Well, epsxe is probably the one emulator that people would really be willing to put effort into but it's closed source.

The other PlayStation emulators whether open source or closed source require entirely too much work to bring them up-to-date. Additionally, most people willing to put their time into an emulator are trying to work on some of the newer projects like PlayStation 3 emulation.

·
Registered
311 Posts
There are only three emulators in the game: (a) ePSXe + GPU Core + SPU Core, (b) Xebra, (c) Mednafen.

However, it is only the Mednafen fork that should last. RetroArch Beetle PSX HW using Vulkan Driver is capable of wonders. It joins the two worlds: high fidelity + high embellishment.

Xebra is a very good, very solid emulator with only low file format support and some strange features like having to double click to close the window. By learning how to use it, you can not be dissatisfied with it.

It is a pity. I really like ePSXe. It is still the most user friendly of all. And it would only take a few adjustments to settle. I believe that GTE Hacks + CPU Overclocking + Plugin Support should be abandoned, made the interface even simpler and cleaner, transforming the interface into more "launcher" and less into "configuration", as well as the correction of the few games that are missing, such as Monkey Hero audio and the graphic problem in Tales of Phantasia (if my memory did not betray me).

Lastly and unfortunately, pcsxr-pgxp will not cease to be the hell plugin that it is. It will continue without a good audio plugin and without good video plugin with elevation of internal resolution. gpuPeopsSoft118b and gpuBladeSoft146 are very good, but abandoned. gpuPeopsSoft118b is very good but abandoned. and gpuBladeSoft was updated to 1.64 (2019-08-25) with elevation of internal resolution by CPU:

https://www.ngemu.com/threads/edgblas-gpubladesoft.144037/page-14#post-2728177

cheers!

edit: happy updates!

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
The Beetle PSX HW core in RetroArch is actually pretty awesome on a competent Desktop computer. It has the best filtering and options for sub pixel issues that I've been able to see. It's compatibility is also up there or higher than any other emulator and in constant development. The only big downside is the lack of a Dynarec Emulation for the PSX CPU making is pretty much unusable on Android devices but that will change with more development.

ePSXe does still get updates on Android though they are getting far apart. The recent update includes the OpenGL2 plugin making the Android version pretty much on par with it's Windows counterpart. The OpenGL2 plugin works amazing on my Shield TV.

I don't think PSX emulation is done, but current emulators are mature to the point that there's not much else to do. I would like to see a PSX emulator using newer graphics APi's, but I'm not sure how much more even that would bring to the table.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts