Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just feeling curious today but anyways, if programmers were to concentrate on replicating hardware functions with software and speed was NOT an issue, would it be possible to create perfect emulators? Regulating speed might be another hurdle, but take that into or out of account if you want to.

With the new systems using more privately developed components, this might be a substantially more difficult but how about systems like PSX?

Of course I'm not taking all the factors into account (like hardware/software differences in each PC), but you get the idea.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
In my opinion
For 2D games
I wish PSX emulator do high res mode some like Kreed 's 2xSal mode in SNES emulator
For 3D games
I wish PSX emulator do perspective correction first
I know this almost impossible but I hope by technology and hardware we can do it in future..................
Sound
Add Dolby Surround Mode Yeah :).......................
Misc................
Emulate addon real PSX like Dual Shock,Gunshooter,Mosue....etc

I know maybe PSX emulatot in my idea will never exist but this is perfect PSX emulator in my idea....................

Umm........Ignore me if I answer wrong point.......

·
Registered
513 Posts
>concentrate on replicating hardware functions
One hurtle is that not all pieces of hardware are documented well enough (sometimes intentionally) to allow them to be emulated to any degree. Case in point the SDD-1 chip used in compressing/encrypting the graphics in Star Ocean and Far East of Eden Zero for the SNES. Since said chips are specially designed (they're a general type of microprocessor with custom onboard software), it has taken several years to understand just how the compression system works.

However, as is now the case, through the efforts of the Zsnes and Dejap teams the games have been successfully decompressed and are (or will be in the immediate future) fully playable.

Anyway, given enough time and interest, I believe that just about any system can be emulated correctly. After all, just a few years ago everyone was kvetching about how there'd "never" be an English version of Tales of Phantasia ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Is perfect emulation possible? Yes, I believe that it can be attained. Just look at ZSNES, MEKA, and WIN VICE. These three emulators are about as close to perfect as you're going to get w/out owning the original machine(s). Will PSX emulation ever be perfect and 100% compatability on one emulator? Well, I think the emulation of the PSX is starting to come close to perfection with the likes of ePSXe, Adripsx, and VGS. But I don't think any one emulator will ever have 100% compatability, there are just to many games out there. Even the PS2 doesn't have 100% compatability w/all the PSX games.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
69 Posts
If speed isn't an issue, neither is image quality. It would naturally look crappier, but that's because 320x240 looks horrible on a monitor. Many problems can already be solved just by using the software renderer.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I wish PSX emulator do high res mode some like Kreed 's 2xSal mode in SNES emulator
-Well one of the ePSXe team members is also on the ZSNES team...... plus Pete is already giving it a shot with the "easter egg" in 1.50.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts