Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Im asking this because I overclocked my PC and my Video card and there is not difference in performance.I have a Penium II,500Mhz Slot processor with 100mhz Bus speed.I over clocked it (100x112=)560mhz and there was no difference.And them I used Nvmax to overclock my graphic(Asus V3800 TNT2 m64 pro 32MB) card but still not use.

When I overclock my PC obove 560 it gives be BSODs.......WTF.....!

So according to me overclocking is not worth doing it.......what do U think.......!

Ali

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
It depends on how much you can overclock your PC to. In my case, I've overclocked my P3-600 to an 800, and I noticed quite a bit of an increase. I gained 20+ FPS in most games.

·
Registered
169 Posts
yeah

with a oc as lil as you did you will hardly notice anythign...if you want a major system boost get more ram! thats where you will notice a MAJOR system preformance boost!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Actually that depends on how much memory you have. You really won't notice a huge difference for anything over 128. Overclocking can be useful, but just mkae sure your cooling can handle anything you clock it too. If you really want some more performance get a new Video card. Video card is more important than CPU. TNT2's are a bit old so you'd probably get a nice incress.

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
I overclocked my amd tbird 1000 to 1120 mhz with an overclocked FSB of 112*2.. So my FSB is at 224 mhz.. I see a 10 percent performance boost.. In 3dmark 2000 and 2001 I get higher scores.. I can run MK2 and MK3 in mame at 60 fps.. Sisoft sandra benchmarks are up... Memory benchmarks are up since my ram is oc'd to 145 mhz instead of 133 mhz.. Its not much of a difference but It is very noticeable for me.. I have also overclocked my voodoo 5 agp [email protected] mhz.. 10 percent performance increase is noticeable..

·
Registered
234 Posts
i have to agree with the dude at the top of the page, i clocked my duron 800 to over a gig and it was unstable, so i got it to about 960 stable, no noticable difference, so i clocked my GF2MX (cant remember the settings ) as far as it could go without being unstable, and i only saw about 5-10fps difference... Pah.. overclocking, who needs it :mad:

S

·
0 Posts
Sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't. Depens on your sytem and how you overclock. I don't recommend it. One of the members on this board fried his CPU by doing just that, overclocking. Unless you really know what you are doing or know someone who does, unless you really really need that extra increase (if there is even one) and can't afford to upgrade (the recommended way to get a performance increase), I don't like overclocking at all. Just MHO of course.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
And adequate cooling is very important!! I once had my 700MHz running at 945MHz (not very stable), but it runs well at 900MHz with no BSODs. But after a while I realised that I did not need this extra speed so I am now back to normal speed, I just dont want to fry any of my components yet, I cannot afford an upgrade for a while (mind you, there is so much choice about now, I dont know what to upgrade to anyway - but it will be an AMD chip definately).

·
これはバタスです
6,338 Posts
I think the most significant difference with overclocking is 3D (accelerated) games or other CPU intensive applications. When I overclocked my old Celeron 366 to 495 I didn't notice any difference in Windows or Windows applications, but frame rates in Quake 3 nearly doubled. Similarly, when I overclocked my Pentium 100 to 120 I noticed no difference in Windows, but Hexen II loaded and rendered 20% faster.

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
Heh, just overclocking my VooDoo 5 from 166 to 180 gave me a noticeable difference in ePSXe (any more was unstable). But I can't figure out how to O/C in my mobo (Shuttle AI61), so I'm gonna buy a (classic) 950 Athlon. THEN, I'll see something!

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If being more rational I think that every piece of hardware has a limit and capacity.Some hardware run below their capability in normal modes and therfore when they are overclocked they give increase in their performance,whereas other pieces of hardware already run at their highest point in normal modes and when they are clocked they get saturated and bust things up,I mean heat up......!

The P-III which I had...now I have a Athlon 1.2.......was at saturated point and could never exceed that limit......that is why overclocking was not useful for me........!

As far as G-Force is concerned.....these cards are highly powered and their ability is not fully utilized even in normal modes.......thats why overclocking them is useful.......I have a TNT2 m64 which is pretty much running at the highest point..........overclocking this piece of equipment is not good.........!

Besides I would rather suggest that overclocking means overloading.....and overloading cause broken bones.........I mean damage........so we should avoid overclocking.......!

Ali

1 - 15 of 15 Posts