Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of us round here will remember when mortal kombat was released in 1991 with its bloody nature. But after the 2nd instalment, it does seem the series disintegrated. :heh:
But after deadly alliance i personally believe the series has been revived but yet i still hear ppl sayin it wass too late for mortal kombat to be brought back into the limelight. Deception is also another great game but theres still talk about the series being not as guud as it was. what do u think?

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
As a fighting game I always thought the Series was a bit weak. Gameplay was mediocre and characters were very shallow. The story was always interesting but the games never took advantage of it. The last game I saw (Dark Alliance was it?) had not changed much.

So I guess it has been dead for a long time (at least in my eyes)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Katsuya said:
. The last game I saw (Dark Alliance was it?) had not changed much.
)
'deadly alliance' produced sum good graphics for a fighter and sum nice blood to match it. Alternation of fighting styles in-game was a nice feature but didnt prove that useful unless you were using your weapon.
I think the difference in characters wasnt bad at all. And shallow, slightly, but hey the gameplay is what counts really.
Shaolin monks also made good reviews about it and thusi think the series is gettin back.

·
Classic Games Lover
5,856 Posts
I agree that after 2nd part the series went down. I haven't played Deadly Alliance, but I pretty much enjoyed both Deception and Shaolin Monks (especially) so I think the series is coming back to its good shape :)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Evil_Neko said:
I loved one of the pieces of music in the first MK, don't think I heard that particular bit in any of the other games I played... such a shame, would have made them a lot more enjoyable, at least to me.
Well the piece i liked was the first level 'the courtyard' with the clapping monks' although the snes version and genesis versions had different music, liked both of the tracks from stage 1

·
Registered
416 Posts
i believe mk is the first game to introduce the stupid block button in fighting games. you can say that mk fighting game is dying, but the series is not. the newest one is a beat'em up game called shaolin monks, and it got pretty good review.

·
Souless Angel
900 Posts
I wouldn't say the Mk series is dead or dying, but I doubt will see it ever as big as it was during it's golden years of MKII. The series used blood to attract it's players back then, and was like many marketing droves, a cash cow.

Series like FF, Metal Gear, Zelda, & etc.. will always have top reign to the marketing push. I just don't see MK producing that pre-order got to have status anymore. (I am a little biased having turned to the Soul Blade/Soul Calibur series on the ps1)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I woulkdn't say it's dying but i must say i didn't really enjoy deception and think the 2d ones were better that's why i like playing mk2 and trilogy.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think mktrilogy sounded good and the big array of characters appealed to me more than the other titles. The worst mortal kombat has to be the 3rd one. it was too fast and thegame didnt really have that feel that the previous game brought.

·
Registered
10,973 Posts
Hmmmm I think Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance was better than Street Fighter EX 2, but not by much.
I also enjoyed Mortal Kombat 1 and 2, but I didn't care as much for MK3/UMK, nor MK4...
I'm thinking of buying Mortal Kombat Deception and the Bonus Disk *the local Electronic Boutique has it for $9.99 *MK 'arcade perfect' and extras, the bonus disk, and Wal Mart is selling Deception for $19.99...

I have Deadly Alliance for the Gamecube, and I enjoy it. It's not a bad game, but it isn't Tekken or Soul Calibur...at least IMSHO ;)

·
-PM to advertise here-
8,320 Posts
Well, since they realized that other fighting games made full use of mediocre MK games from MK3 afterwards, they are moving into a new territory.....the once-dead-now-being-revived Beat'em Up Genre.

Shaolin Monks: Average Graphics, poor voices, stupid cutscene animations, but one of the most enjoyable gameplays I have had in a 3D beat-em Up. Way to go!

MK is back in a new flavour, and is enjoyable. Can't warrant a 50$ purchase, wait till it gets down. Or a rental won't be bad either. Plus with 2 players, its one hell of fun. Erh, I'll review it after my exams, so stay tuned :p

To answer the question in the topic: NO.

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,588 Posts
Mortal Kombat? EWWWW!

seriously thought, I don't think it's dying and I think you're wrong typing that it aint guud. I own both new MK titles and love both of them :)

·
Emunext fanboy
4,245 Posts
It's not dead, unfortunatly :p . j/k ;)
Well, the problem with MK is : (err are ^^" )
1) Uninspiring gameplay since MK3 till MKGold (Deadly alliance kinda raised my hopes to MK gameplay but Deception lowered them again)
2) Zero personalities. That makes some characters looks like bad customed monsters from very bad 80s B movies. Even Liu Kang is so not developed at all.
3) Who makes the character designs anyway? He makes alot of pallete swaps :p . And sometimes he covers his sprites with complete black and call it a new character ^^"
4) Repetitive ways to attract players with the ultimate MK word "Fatality". So every game you expect to see a sentence or two on the cover commenting on how many the fatalities are.
5) Bad voice acting. If you don't belive me check MK4. Oh, and you have to see the N64 version endings for Sonya, Jax and Jarek. I couldn't stop myself from laughing.

Personally I think MK needs a totally new staff. Aside from that I think the first MK movie was one of the best VG into movie conversions ;) . (But the second was one of the worst really :p )

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
MK1 and MK2 were simply great. Music was totally excellent and graphics great but gameplay was never on par with SF serie, unfortunately.

MK3 was a start of MK serie downfall. Gameplay was better, but bit too fast (though some people love speed. SF2 Turbo, anyone?) However, it had one point that i raise above all fighting games: Combos. Most fighting games combos were nothing but a boring serie of different attacks in row, but in MK3 they were more like specials. One fast, brutal ass-kicking serie that hurt like hell (or seem to). MK Trilogy was a nice addon though, but other spinoffs were waste of money.

MK4 were something horrible and made me believe this serie is dead and it made a lot of people to lose their interest in MK serie.

Now, finally, this serie has somewhat revived thanks to its new ideas, but only future tells if its enough...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The worst mk game made IMO has to be mk: special forces.
Its a challenge itself trying to control Jax properly and the graphics werent nothing to shout about either. The only thing enjoyable were some of the puzzles it had, other than that, a total waste of money.
The recent mk shaolin monks is miles better and , i agree, it is the revival of MK :D
Also the new success of the series is down to creator Ed Boon for his management and ideas that brought forth the newer games.
I think if a new team takes over the series, mk wont be as gud as it is now...

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,588 Posts
you know... I think I might be the only one that actually liked Special forces.. /hides

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.