Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of overclcking my 3d card in the future time, but i dont know whether it is worth it.

1) What im scared is, wil overclocking damage my 3d card?

2) How is the performance after overclocking?

3) anyone here has overclocked their 3d card b4, can u tell me ur opinions ?

3d card :
Elsa Geforce2 GTS pro.

·
The ChinaDude!!!
3,930 Posts
Sure, it really helps overclocking, whereas some games sometimes lose a frame or 2 (literaly) so that i lose about 10 frames a minute(hey, i gotta complain about something), overclocking removes that frameskip, so i can have ALL frames.

There are some downsides to overclocking too, your GPU produces a lot more heat(mine 80 degrees celcius) but that is to be compensated with a fan.
Your system CAN, and i repeat CAN become unstable.

If you have a geforce 256 (6600,6800) then overclocking is no problem, since the overclocking utilities are all present

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
You've got a GTS PRO, so overclocking that thing would bring you close/more? to the performance of an ultra...

Probably the first thing you should be considering is why would you wanna overclock it, do you really need it? do you run your games lets say at 1600x1200? or 1280x1024? high/low detail? if not, i suggest sticking with the default settings. If you're in it for the fun, then overclock all you want, just remember: KEEP IT COOL.:D

Personally id rather overclock the mx guys, since its more fun to see how far the little guys can go, and there's just to replacing the satisfaction when one of the little guys achieve the same numbers as its big brother.. (at least at low res anyway.. ehehe:D).

1. Yes, if you are not careful you can destroy your card.
2. Performance increase depends on the type of gpu, type of memory you've got. Usually performance increase is aimed at the high res settings. (> 10% increase in perf is not a bad number i guess).
3. Yes, i overclock my vid card, i don't really need to, but its just fun to do.:D

·
The ChinaDude!!!
3,930 Posts
well, u should check your driver CD for utilities, and if u got a temp sensor utility, install that one.

i got temp sensors al over the place :D

my gpu 80 degrees celcius
my processor 60 degrees celsius
my system 40 degrees celcius

if u don't have a temp sensor on your gpu, u should try and check your manufacturer's page for utils.

if u decide to overclock, U MUST HAVE A FAN!!!

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi there,

Your cpu's temperature is knda high,when the first time i turned on my comp, i checked the cpu temp after about 1 hour, it show me 63 c !!! and it was still increasing !! So, in order to reduce the heats, i open my casing's cover and the temp turned to 55 - 59.And after i have updated my mobo bios few days ago, the temp is always remains between 51 - 56.

Just my suggestion to cool ur cpu down a bit :)

And thx for all the replies u guys have given me, i wanna to try to overclock my video card for fun to see the performance . :D

bTW, can i have more points in 3d marks benchmarking if i have more rams? Can the rams help to increase he 3d performance?

·
The ChinaDude!!!
3,930 Posts
Yes, more ram wil increase your performance, it did with me.
overclocking wil do too

hey, i'll give u some nice comparison:
i've got a tb 850 with a GF 256 SDR
my pal has a tb 1000 with a GF 256 DDR

normal rate i get about 1700 (3dbenchmark2001)
he gets 1900
when i overclock ONLY my GPU my score becomes 1950 to 2000.
hehe, overclocking ROCKS!!!

and as for the high cpu temp, hey, its a TB, it's supposed to be hot, (it can go to 100 degrees celcius, no prob) :D

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thx for the comparison , now i have got the idea :)

a tb temp can get as hot as 100 c !!!??? This is really scary i think !

Thx alot for all u guys' comments, i will post the results for those who also thinking of oveclocking their 3d card :)

Thx again :D

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Well first about over clocking your 3D card........I would suggest leave it.......G-Force is a pretty fast card itself.........why U need an overclock......if your fell U are getting slow downs......then thats would be because of the PC..........!

About CPU temperature........my Athlon remains between 58-60.........I asked a few ppl.......they said its okay..........for for precaution I will buy a new 7200rpm fan with heatsink and Arctic Silver...which gives a decrease of about 15 to 20 Celcius.......wow......!

Athlons are safe for upto 80 Celcius.....!

Ali

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I don't know why you'd want to overclock that GTS. If you don't have a lot of money to invest (potentally in a new video card) then I wouldn't suggest overclocking. It sounds like you could use a few more case fans to begin with. Also, if you're going to overclock a video card, you'll need to remove the weak heatsinks that come with it and get some nice artic silver adheasive and put some nicer ones on...

As I said, you don't want to overclock the video card if your case is THAT hot! There should be no reason for you to remove your case like that to reduce the tempature. If you haven't already, you should remove that weak thermal pad that comes pre installed on the bottom of the heatsink and put some Artic Silver ][ on it.

Then install a couple of case fans, then worry about getting 1 or 2 more frames from your video card...

Yes, overclocking can damage anything, and to summarize... I don't see the point in it. If your computer's that slow, then I suggest you upgrade your hardware, or at least reconfigure your system so it runs faster.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Overclock is Good ... ahhh ....

I overclock my GF2MX400 (the gpu only , not the SDRAM) to 220/166.

and this is the screenshot of my 3dmark 2001 result, Same Graphic Crad, Different Processors.

I Beat Pentium 4 1.4 GHz!!!! :D

[email protected] MHz
the temp:
Processor : 40 celcius, full load
GPu : 40 celcius Full Load

YOu should Overclock ;)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Whether or not you should really depends on your CPU... if it's pretty slow, then overclocking the 3D card won't do much since it's waiting on the CPU moxt of the time anyway. However, if you have a fast CPU, overclocking can work wonders... just make sure you have a nice cooling system or you can really mess up a nice piece of equipment.

Now I have a question: where do you get all this cooling stuff, and is there a website where I can get some tutorials on overclocking/installing heatsinks? Thanks :D

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm...

why i want to overclock my 3d card?

i am just a bit 3d power hungry ! hehe :D

well, my all time favourite game " SOUL REAVER 2 " is coming out this November,i LOVE this game very much and hope to run it at peak performance by enabling everything ( if i can set them :) ),
so i have decieded to overclock the 3d card if my card cant run the game at full speed :)

Question : will my harddisk affect the gameplay? ( for example, when u go to a new place in a game, the game will load new enemies,in this case, the game will load the files from the harddisk ,my question is, will the game slowdown if i have a slow harddisk? I got this "slowndown problems" when playing max payne even if i set everything to minimum,when new enemies come out, the screen will stop for a while for loading and i can hear the harddisk's sound ,it seems like the harddisk is reading the required files or it is doing disk swapping...

Any idea?

Specs :

Athlon 1.4g
Msi k7t266 pro ddr
samsung 128 ddr
Elsa GeForce2 GTS pro
4.3 gig Quatum Fireball

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
Nightmare u have a decent motherboard so I assume it supprts ata100 hard disks.
You deffo want to get a ata100 hard disk as they are cheap and it really will give a significant increase in speed compared to your old disk.
I was really supprised with the increase in speed my 7200rpm ibm drive gave me when I first got it.
I overclock my radeon 64 and runs fine like this all the time,just up the overclock a little at a time untill u encounter artifacts and or lockups then back off a few mhz my card never gets that hot but I put an old socket 7 heatsink/fan on the gpu..
JAZ

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
Nightmare, what console is Soul Reaver 2 for? I thought it was for DC and PS2, if I'm not mistaken.

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi zephon,

soul reaver 2 is for ps2 and pc. Dc version was canceled long time ago.

For ps2 version, sr2 will be out on middle of october.
For pc version, the date is set on November ( i dont know the exact date since they never stated it clearly. )

They have posponed the date for few times, hope they never posponed it again ! If not, im gonna cry :(

For more details, go to www.gamespot.com :)

p/s hey! it is a must have !!! I hope someone can take the 2 versions to do a comparison :)

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
thx, Nightmare. I think i was kind of outdated about games. I think it's time to upgrade my pc, since I'm pretty sure sr2 will not run on my damn slow computer.

B

·
0 Posts
hmm..you guys think your cards are slow? my crappy one is currently running at 57.27 mhz and can only be oc to 86. now thats what i call slow(i got this info from powerstrip

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Originally posted by Nightmare
I hope someone can take the 2 versions to do a comparison :)
I'll surely get the 2 versions(the original PS2 one and an almost free PC version:innocent: ).
I'll let you know which one's the best(I think they will be very much the same).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts