Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if i can run 2 Windows OS's, XP and ME. Since im having a ton of problems in WinME, i want to upgrade to XP. THe problem IS, i DONT want to get rid of WinME, since i have a couple vital programs that i need which dont work in XP, one of them being VGS(my computer sucks too much for ePSXe). So is it possible? And if so, how? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You could if you set it up as a dual boot system. I have Windows Me, Windows XP 2428, and Windows XP 2465 set up on my machine. If you have already allocated all of your hard disk to your current Windows Me, you will have to use something like Partition Magic to resize your existing C: partition (to make room for another partition), and then create a new partition to install Windows XP into. You will need about 1.5Gb to install Windows XP into (although I am only using a 1Gb partition for each of mine, this leaves about 200Mb free for the swap file (probably not enough free space)). Hope this helps! :cool:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have no clue what you were just talking about. do you possibly know a website that explains all this? thanks for helping man!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Ok, if you currently are running Windows Me, I assume that when this operating system was setup, all of the space on your harddisk is allocated to Windows Me. If you want to dual-boot Windows Me and Windows XP, you will need to reduce the size of your C: partition to allow you to create a D: partition for Windows XP. (Ok, a partition is a portion of your harddisk space, so for example, if you have a 20Gb drive, you can create two 10Gb partitions, one gets a drive letter of C: and the other has drive letter of D: ). You can use Partition Magic to look at and manage your partitions (Partition Magic has the ability to resize your C: partition whilst keeping your data intact). Ok, still with me? Once you have got two partitions (C: and D: ), you are now ready to install Windows XP into your D: partition. When you install Windows XP I think there is an 'Advanced' button, upon clicking this button there is a checkbox which you need to check called 'choose installation partition during setup', now carry on with the install. Your machine will reboot once it has copied the install files to your hard disk (if you are not installing from the bootable CDROM), when setup asks, you must tell it that you want it to be installed to your D: drive. Hopefully you will then be able to run as dual-boot (Windows XP setup will create a boot menu for you to choose which operating system you want to run).

Ok, I hope this makes better sense, feel free to post a reply if you want more help.

This URL may be of help (mind you the demo download is 40Mb!!!) http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/pmdemo.html

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks bro! but i think im just gonna use the fdisk partition and reformat, as i have backed up most of my needed files. i dun want to dish out 70bucks just to save a reformat. btw, XP has that OS chooser thing right? when you start up you choose which OS you want. otherwise i will have to keep that boot partition thing.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you have backed up your files then a complete reformat is probably the easiest option. Windows ME would need a primary partition, and I dont think it matters about Windows XP (I used another primary partition for my Windows XP). Windows ME would need to be installed first, when you install Windows XP a boot menu would be added so you can choose to boot up either ME or XP. Hope this helps ;)

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Another thing to watch on Dual-Boots: Win2000 supports two different formats for disks: FAT32 and NTFS. NTFS has some nice features, but you won't be able to read any disk formatted as NTFS from WinME.

[]s Badaro

1 - 8 of 8 Posts