Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
>cassete
Yes, but it'd look nothing short of terrible.

>to a CD
Now here's where the fun is. I'd suggest visiting a site like www.mydivx.com or www.divx-digest.com and learning about the fun that is DVD ripping. There's a number of newbie articles at Divx Digest that'll explain the details of setting up codecs and the like. I'd definitely suggest reading anything that looks even remotely important, looking over the different messageboards, and doing a few test runs before doing a full rip of a DVD. Namely, make or find a small yet complete (that is, both sound and video) MPEG, open it up in Virtual Dub (or the editor of your choice) and give it a try.

Of course, while I'm thinking of it, know that ripping a DVD you don't own is as illegal as copying a PSX game, so the same rules apply. Given that OpenDivx ;-) is no longer a derivative of MS' MP4, I don't think it's something that's banned by the board rules. However, if one of the mods feels that ripping DVDs isn't something meant to be put here, I'd be glad to drop the issue.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the reason i ask so is that i own a DVD .Unfortunately i dont have many DVD players at my disposal. So instead of moving my player i thought why not copy the dvd so that's it . This was the reason i asked earlier before. I thank you for your answer.

·
Registered
513 Posts
>well the reason i ask so is that i own a DVD
I'd hope you didn't think I insinuating that you make illegal rips of DVDs, as that wasn't the case. I just felt inclined to add a disclaimer, since I wouldn't want to anger the mods and/or promote illegal activity.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No not at all. As u say u were putting out a disclaimer so was I. Why well the same reason which you have.:D

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Divx aren't compatible with DVD players.

S

·
0 Posts
Don't worry guys, you've done nothing illegal. Since ice2hot is proposing to copy a DVD he owns, that is not illegal. No more illegal than making an ISO of a PSX that you own.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Raziel is right, you can't play a divx CD in a DVD player, but you can play it in a PC CDrom if the PC has Divx decoder software(I'm not positive about this, but in theory...). If anyone knows for a fact that it won't work feel free to discredit me.

·
Registered
513 Posts
>but you can play it in a PC CDrom if the PC has Divx decoder
>software
You're correct about this, playing back Divx ;-) movies requires that the Divx codec and the appropriate audio codec be installed.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
If you want to backup your dvd and still be able to play it in your dvd player your best option is to use vcd's or (if your player supports it) svcd's. The only problem with this is the fact that you will more than likely have to use 2 cdrs and encoding vcds takes even longer than divx... in my case it takes about 10 hours more than divx. For more info check out the sites cluthu mentioned earlier

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
yep, VCD is convenient as most of the mid to high range DVD players support that format as well, but note that some lower end players don't. Also it's easy to find a software player for the computer. However I think its quality is not even close to DVD...

also i'm pretty sure there has been an addon for the Playstation console to play VCD, no kidding.
When the PS2 came out, many people were puzzled why they put built-in support for DVD playback but not VCD.

hey Betamax, what about backup your DVD in Betamax? :D

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
The PSX has definitely had a number of unofficial VCD player add-ons, most of which seem to come from Korea. No comment. ;) I'd imagine the PS2 will be exactly the same way.

2,209 Posts
To make a VCD you must rip the dvd into .mpeg or .mpg format. You then need to use special burning programs to put the mpeg on disk. I've tried it with out the buring programs and it didn't work. You can then play it on a dvd player if they're compatibe with VCDs, some aren't, or a computer.

You can go to http://www.vcdhelp.com for more info.

The wierd theing is I've never mad one.:p

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Originally posted by takwu

hey Betamax, what about backup your DVD in Betamax? :D
Actually it is possible via various means but all of then are very complicated! You can't directly copy from dvd to beta cos' the macrovision scambles the signal. You have to be a little more creative.

K

·
0 Posts
I have ripped DVDs before ... to DiVX and VCD. As long as you have a high end system it shouldn't take to long ... best to encode it while you are sleeping. Also to burn the mpg to VCD I suggest Nero burning Software. Also check what kind of media your DVD player will read. Some DVD Players won't read CDR but will read CDRW but only certain kind of CDRW. For instance my Sony DVD Player will only read Silver bottom CDRW. Also when ripping DVD to VCD you are going to have to split it between 2 CDs to get the quality that you will want. Somebody already posted a link to a good site ... but here it is again. http://www.vcdhelp.com

-Wormie

·
Registered
38 Posts
I recomend FlaskMPEG 0.549h2pre3 available at http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/flaskmpeg.html
It's perfect for people with small hard drives who want to make DivX. See creating a DivX movie normally requires you to rip a DVD disc to your hard drive using DeCSS (I know this all sounds complex). FlaskMPEG 0.549h2pre3 eliminates this by encoding straight to DivX. I won't explain how (very complex), just trust me.
You can a great guide on it at http://www.digital-digest.com/nickyguides/DVDfromCD.htm
You can also get the latest DivX codec and a good divx player from www.divx.com
Welcome to DivX - "Choose life, Choose DivX" - Some Genious!

P.S.
Forget VCD or SVCD - VCD and SVCD are bad. It takes up heaps of room and looks no where near as good (SVCD can look good but takes up DVD size room to look that good).

·
Registered
190 Posts
You need 4 things if you are wanting to create a divx from a dvd.

1. Divx codec (for flaskmpeg)
2. MP3 codec (for flaskmpeg)
3. DVDCopy (this program will decrypt and join the mpeg-II vob files)
4. Flaskmpeg

And thats all you'll ever need.

BOB

1 - 20 of 29 Posts