Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it legal to use Xbox 360 Controller Emulator? Should I buy a joystick (logitech, xbox 360 ...) instead of using this program? So is this program illegal?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
How is it illegal? It is not using microsoft code, it is not altering anyones' code, it merely captures what info your controller sends to pc and converts it to XInput. Nothing illegal about that, the most remotely illegal is preventing sales of XBox controllers as it makes existing ones, and the competition to work but since the devs are not selling controllers and doing this for free and is not perfect so any case based upon legal issue like this is thrown out of the door.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How is it illegal? It is not using microsoft code, it is not altering anyones' code, it merely captures what info your controller sends to pc and converts it to XInput. Nothing illegal about that, the most remotely illegal is preventing sales of XBox controllers as it makes existing ones, and the competition to work but since the devs are not selling controllers and doing this for free and is not perfect so any case based upon legal issue like this is thrown out of the door.
Is it legal to use Xbox 360 Controller Emulator? Should I buy a joystick (logitech, xbox 360 ...) instead of using this program? So is this program illegal?
Doesn't it imitate Xbox 360 by showing Gamepad as an Xbox 360 joystick to the computer? Isn't it illegal? So while we need to buy the original xbox 360 joystick, we don't buy it, but we use the program that mimics it. Does Xbox allow its own sold joystick to be imitated this way?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Doesn't it imitate Xbox 360 by showing Gamepad as an Xbox 360 joystick to the computer? Isn't it illegal? So while we need to buy the original xbox 360 joystick, we don't buy it, but we use the program that mimics it. Does Xbox allow its own sold joystick to be imitated this way?
XBox/Microsoft can't do anything if emulator isn't using their code and using reverse engineered code. Hence why emulators aren't illegal.

Also having controller show up in windows is just loading a driver, I can force other controllers to show up as different controllers to force wrong drivers but without a controller emulator it wont work... Unless you were in a same situation where I got a old X360 controller made by razer where they for somewhat reason used a different hardware ID and made some games not work with it so forcing the correct driver and forcing the ID made work proplery in Windows as it was X360 controller in the first place, typical Razor.... PLEASE don't get me started on RAZOR!!!! Bad drivers, bad firmware and bad hardware.

The greatest example of being illegal is the jailbraking iphone/ipad is when it was using code from apple SDK, which works fine but since it is using Apple's code then Apple can sue, hence many years ago it stopped releasing jailbreaks and then took a long while for jailbreaks to be released made completely with original code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
XBox/Microsoft can't do anything if emulator isn't using their code and using reverse engineered code. Hence why emulators aren't illegal.

Also having controller show up in windows is just loading a driver, I can force other controllers to show up as different controllers to force wrong drivers but without a controller emulator it wont work... Unless you were in a same situation where I got a old X360 controller made by razer where they for somewhat reason used a different hardware ID and made some games not work with it so forcing the correct driver and forcing the ID made work proplery in Windows as it was X360 controller in the first place, typical Razor.... PLEASE don't get me started on RAZOR!!!! Bad drivers, bad firmware and bad hardware.

The greatest example of being illegal is the jailbraking iphone/ipad is when it was using code from apple SDK, which works fine but since it is using Apple's code then Apple can sue, hence many years ago it stopped releasing jailbreaks and then took a long while for jailbreaks to be released made completely with original code.
So this emulator does not use the codes of any game console (including Microsoft Xbox 360), does not take any illegal action, you say it is completely legal to use? I got it right, right?

·
310 Posts
Is legal to use any modern browser powered by HTML5 to play videos? They are violating the MPEG standards emulating multiple codecs to play videos!!
Are the MPEG standards legal? They are emulating phonograph records and films!!
Are computers legal? They can emulate anything, even life!!

If the word emulation is so dirty to your chaste eyes and ears, use reimplementation, that is exactly the same.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,481 Posts
More to the point, there is a US court case, Sega v. Accolade that confirmed that reverse engineering is legal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts