Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: I know that edits should be posted below but I think this one needs to be put at the top because I really didn't know weather to post this in the hardware or software forum so I choose the software and If I choose wrong please forgive me.

Okay so I'm not going to trash on the hard working devs behind the most popular emulators like pcsx2,epsxe,dolphin etc...
But I wanna know something and that is is input latency inevitable?

I searched around and by the looks of it is.
Also this article proved to be of good use for limiting lag by switching to a wired device(I use a wireless mouse,keyboard and controller as my default) and explaining it Input lag - Emulation General Wiki

So while the article above does explain what causes it.
Is there anything else to it? Because I kind of refuse to accept that after so many years/decades of emulating console hardware to the point of perfection, and managing to upscale games, and yet somehow input latency is a problem with modern hardware.

But still even when I switched to a wired device there was still some input latency for pretty much every emulator that I use and it's still bothering.
While I haven't tried it, I do have an old CRT TV, will it eliminate the problem if I were to use it?
And if not, is there a way to completely eliminate it?

Also here are my specs.

GPU : GeForce 960 GTX 4gb turbo(I am waiting for a 3080 RTX to become available in stock)
CPU : i9 9900k 3.60GHz
RAM : 32GB.

Thanks in advance and for your time

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,542 Posts
Bruh. Input latency exists on real hardware. The thing is, is that it's so low that you don't perceive it.

This is also true on an individual basis, as some people can be more or less sensitive to perceiving it than the average person.

But yeah. Most wireless devices suck, especially Bluetooth wireless devices. I don't use wireless mice/keyboards/gamepads. So I ask, "What latency?"

EDIT:

More info: Are you playing on an HDTV? If so, many HDTVs have a "Game Mode" that turns off all of the post processing that introduces massive lag.

·
383 Posts
Avoid wireless devices, prefer PS/2 over USB for keyboard if not use USB 2 in Legacy Mode over USB 3. Prefer VGA / DVI / DisplayPort / Mini DP / Thunderbolt / USB-C / etc over HDMI. Avoid not-plasma HDTVs in general.

·
Registered
118 Posts
EDIT: I know that edits should be posted below but I think this one needs to be put at the top because I really didn't know weather to post this in the hardware or software forum so I choose the software and If I choose wrong please forgive me.

Okay so I'm not going to trash on the hard working devs behind the most popular emulators like pcsx2,epsxe,dolphin etc...
But I wanna know something and that is is input latency inevitable?

I searched around and by the looks of it is.
Also this article proved to be of good use for limiting lag by switching to a wired device(I use a wireless mouse,keyboard and controller as my default) and explaining it Input lag - Emulation General Wiki

So while the article above does explain what causes it.
Is there anything else to it? Because I kind of refuse to accept that after so many years/decades of emulating console hardware to the point of perfection, and managing to upscale games, and yet somehow input latency is a problem with modern hardware.

But still even when I switched to a wired device there was still some input latency for pretty much every emulator that I use and it's still bothering.
While I haven't tried it, I do have an old CRT TV, will it eliminate the problem if I were to use it?
And if not, is there a way to completely eliminate it?

Also here are my specs.

GPU : GeForce 960 GTX 4gb turbo(I am waiting for a 3080 RTX to become available in stock)
CPU : i9 9900k 3.60GHz
RAM : 32GB.

Thanks in advance and for your time
It's your GTX 960; it's a bottleneck for the CPU that you're using. I had dealt w/ this issue plenty of times on a system I built for an ex-gf for casual gaming at her house before she sold it after we broke up. The specs were as follows:
1. Intel Pentium Processor G4500
2. ASUS Z170M-PLUS Micro ATX Motherboard
3. Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 512GB SSD
4. Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
5. HGST Travelstar 7K1000 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM HDD
6. Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD ST3000DM001
7. LEPA AquaChanger 240 Liquid CPU Cooler
8. Corsair Carbide 88R Mid-Tower Case
9. LG Electronics 14x SATA Blu-ray Rewriter
10. PNY GTX 960 XLR8 4GB
11. EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1 750W PSU

I'm pretty sure you're already aware of this, but you definitely should upgrade your GPU at your earliest convenience to mitigate any further input lag issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts