Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
i converted from PAL to NTSC Final Fansaty VIII and IX with Zapper 2000, but it seems that the ePsxe runs the patched game always at 50hz, it seems that it isn't able to correctly detec the patched image.
Do you know if this is a limit of ePSXe? Is it possible to run at 60hz pal games converted to NTSC with zapper 2000?

thank you!

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,481 Posts
Yes but this doesn't work for every game because many are hard coded to run at a specific speed at a low level. It's better to track down an NTSC version (US or Japan) and use that instead.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah ok.
Is there a cheat file like the #NOPAL that can be used on ps2 POPS emulator? POPS too as ePSXe cannot see the Zapper2000 patch, but with that cheat enabled you can play at 60hz (and full motion video remains perfect).
I would like to play Italian version because it has a really good dubbing, with a lot of local dialect.

thank you

·
Not a Registered User
1,325 Posts
ah ok.
Is there a cheat file like the #NOPAL that can be used on ps2 POPS emulator? POPS too as ePSXe cannot see the Zapper2000 patch, but with that cheat enabled you can play at 60hz (and full motion video remains perfect).
I would like to play Italian version because it has a really good dubbing, with a lot of local dialect.

thank you
What dubbing? Last time i checked FF7/9 sin't have voice acting.
To do PAL to NTSC on an original PS1/2 console you either have to patch and burn the disc itself or use Action Replay/Game Shark codes, these sadly are game specific so you have to look them up yourself.

For ePSXe use version 1.9 or older as 2.0 uses the SPU plugin for correct FPS timings where previously it was the GPU plugin which just detected PAL game set 50FPS NTSC game set 60FPS .

This why your patch doesn't work, as these patches most often just change the region code of the game which tells the system at what FPS to run the game.

·
Not a Registered User
1,325 Posts
I'm using ePSXe last version, 2.0.5.with this configuration. If i set Set Custom FPS = 60 is it possible that the patched game work correctly? Or in order to run it correctly i only can use 1.9 version?
With that plugin it should work, will it run correctly no.
Yes but this doesn't work for every game because many are hard coded to run at a specific speed at a low level. It's better to track down an NTSC version (US or Japan) and use that instead.
As already said there always will be issues, best way to do this would be to unpatch your game or get a unpatched copy and run that at 60FPS in ePSXe 1.9, you can try 2.0.5 but there will be sound issues.

EDIT.
FYI.
These patchers like ZAPPER 2000 don't change games from 50FPS to 60FPS that's not possible as that is hard coded in game and would require separate patch per game.
To force games to run at 50/60 FPS is to use programs like Action Replay/Game Shark or what's this dude is using.
To fool the system thinking it's booting a NTSC when in true it's PAL but that also introduces other issues, like so.

This is a UK PAL version of FF9 running at 60FPS, but because of the PAL to NTSC change the screen is has huge black bars plus its cut at the bottom.

What these patches are for is color/position space due to difference how NTSC and PAL TVs handled these, if you try to run a NTSC game on moded PAL system on an old CRT TV it will run fine at 60FPS but without colors or if you had a really old TV the screen wold be scrolling.
These patches weren't made for modern TVs or emulators.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well, wioth FF9 i solved the problem using ePSXe 1.7.0: i patched the pal game to ntsc with zapper 2000 and now with epsxe 1.7 it wors at 60fps!!!
I followed this: How to force 50hz RR to play PAL games?
And I discovered that i can also avoid to patch pal games with zapper 2000: they run at 60fps with epsxe 1.7 even if unpatched! It is only necfessary to set country = NTSC and force fps = 60. I tried Dino crisis 1 e 2, and they runs at 60fps!

I have only an issue with ff8 pal: it doesn't start in epsx3 1.7.0: i tried both the unpatched version PAL and the patched version with zapper 2000: it doesn't start with epsxe 1.7, even if I set Country = Automatic... The game works with epsxe 2.0.5... do you know which could be the problem in this case?

thanks

·
Not a Registered User
1,325 Posts
well, wioth FF9 i solved the problem using ePSXe 1.7.0: i patched the pal game to ntsc with zapper 2000 and now with epsxe 1.7 it wors at 60fps!!!
I followed this: How to force 50hz RR to play PAL games?
And I discovered that i can also avoid to patch pal games with zapper 2000: they run at 60fps with epsxe 1.7 even if unpatched! It is only necfessary to set country = NTSC and force fps = 60. I tried Dino crisis 1 e 2, and they runs at 60fps!

I have only an issue with ff8 pal: it doesn't start in epsx3 1.7.0: i tried both the unpatched version PAL and the patched version with zapper 2000: it doesn't start with epsxe 1.7, even if I set Country = Automatic... The game works with epsxe 2.0.5... do you know which could be the problem in this case?

thanks
Often PAL games have anti piracy protection embedded into them which an old emulator like ePSXe 1.7 could trigger,
You need a patch for those.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I noticed that with ePSXe 1.7.0 i have only to set Country = NTSC in order to run pal games to 60hz. It is not necessary to check "Use FPS limit". Do you think that I can leave unckeced that option? Is it better?
thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts