Next Generation Emulation banner

Is anyone else having trouble getting into the current console generation?

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Spyhop 
#1 ·
This generation seems ho hum. :drool:

There have been some great games. Lost Odyssey, Fallout 3 and Halo 3 were pretty epic, MGS4 is great, I had fun with Dead Space, Silent Hill homecoming, Blue Dragon, Resident Evil 5.

Fable 2 was kinda disappointing.

Sports games are good though although the only one I consistently play is the FIFA series.

Resistance Fall of Man on PS3 has a pretty cool story.

But other than that I can't really seem to get excited about any of the games in this current generation. The shooter genre is getting really stale and that is what most of the games coming out seem to be. Halo 3 and Resistance are good because I like the Sci Fi story to it but other than that there is really nothing out there to set a lot of shooters apart from each other.

Sports games are definitely good with improved graphics and gameplay from previous generations.

I have been getting into the Action RPG genre in this current generation, Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Fallout 3, Dragon Age Origins sounds like it is going to be a good game, Fable 2 had a couple of good moments.

But my favorite genre the JRPG has been lacking in this generation. Such a shame really. Still want to get around to trying Eternal Sonata.

I am hoping and anticipating Final Fantasy 13 will fully pull me into this current generation.

Even though I have both a PS3 and 360 I still find myself playing my PS2 and PS1 games more often than any current generation games.

See less See more
#3 ·
I like my Wii and want a 360, but the main reason I want a 360 is because of DRM on the PC, and the fact I like some 360 games. I was discussing with my sweetie that the PS2 is probably the game system that I've liked the best and it has the most diverse games, and some of my favorites, so I think the "previous" generation was the "best" generation for me...

#4 · (Edited)
I like my Wii and want a 360, but the main reason I want a 360 is because of DRM on the PC
the ability to use a keyboard and mouse and mod games on a PC trumps the inconveniences of the occasional DRM.

But other than that I can't really seem to get excited about any of the games in this current generation. The shooter genre is getting really stale and that is what most of the games coming out seem to be.
This will die down. It's already starting to. People are bored of realistic army shooters and want innovation. You can find original games everywhere if you bother to look.

But my favorite genre the JRPG has been lacking in this generation. Such a shame really.
Watch saturday morning cartoons with a bunch of strobe lights going. Same thing.

I am hoping and anticipating Final Fantasy 13 will fully pull me into this current generation.
FF13 is square's last kick at the cat in my book. If they let me down again, I'm done with em.

Even though I have both a PS3 and 360 I still find myself playing my PS2 and PS1 games more often than any current generation games.
You're playing the wrong games. There's so much console gold available in this gen that aren't shooters that you haven't mentioned.
But one example, I'm picking up Uncharted 2 and Brutal Legend on Tuesday.

#5 ·
I think there have been plenty of nuggets of gaming goodness this generation, Dead Rising, Gears 2, Braid, Castle Crashers, World of Goo, Madworld, and plenty of others. Plus on the horizon there are plenty of great titles, Brutal Legend immediately comes to mind, Diablo 3, Death Spank, Dead Rising 2, Epic Mickey, more games than I have time to play.

But there is always the chance that as you get older the less interested you are about gaming all together.

#6 ·
Limited Installs with no way of uninstalling and getting another install is enough to drive me away from games unless they drop to under $10.

Case in point, Chronicles of Riddick Dark Athena...

#8 ·
Almost no games do this. And they all give you a way to uninstall.
Of course they do, but IF I would've had one of such games I would've thrown out these revokes a few weeks ago when I installed Windows 7. When people do a reinstall of Windows, whether it's with the original disc or by restoring an image, they won't bother with uninstalling every single application first. It takes an hour so it's counterproductive, and it doesn't even make sense. Not when you can simply wipe the drive and be done with it, something that you would have to do otherwise anyway.

And that's from a poweruser perspective, who puts games on a separate partition. What about crashing harddrives? Or worse: People who move their game folder to the bin rather than uninstalling?

As for this generation: I believe there's been plenty of great games released since 2006. If only people would bother to look further than what's "hot" right now. Look for those sleeper hits, those rare gems hat don't get that much publicity. To be honest, today I actually realized that by overly analyzing and reading a crapload of reviews, I always read so much negativity already (just all the minor flaws added together) that it seems like I won't enjoy any game. If I'd pick up a game and play it, I'd probably enjoy it a lot though.

Anyway, play Mass Effect, then play it again until ME2 will be released.

#9 ·
I'm having trouble, yes. But not having any of the consoles might be a good reason for that.

the ability to use a keyboard and mouse and mod games on a PC trumps the inconveniences of the occasional DRM.
Assuming you're into a genre worth playing with a keyboard and mouse. And not all games allow for mods.

This will die down. It's already starting to. People are bored of realistic army shooters and want innovation. You can find original games everywhere if you bother to look.
It always dies, and it always comes back, just under a different war theme.

Watch saturday morning cartoons with a bunch of strobe lights going. Same thing.
Right...

FF13 is square's last kick at the cat in my book. If they let me down again, I'm done with em.
Why not just watch saturday morning cartoons with a bunch of strobe lights going. Same thing.

#11 ·
Almost no games do this. And they all give you a way to uninstall.
Games that use Tages have no revoke tool...

That's a feature for securerom...

I even mentioned a game that uses tages, Chronicles of Riddick, Dark Athena...

#12 ·
Assuming you're into a genre worth playing with a keyboard and mouse.
....FPS? (which, according to a census thread I made a while back) is the second-most preferred genre right after RPGs.

And not all games allow for mods.
Who says the game has to allow them? ;) Plus there are those vital trainers without whom playing GTA 4 would have been a disgusting experience.

#14 ·
How about EVERY GAME THAT USES Tages? ;)

#16 ·
They only provide "No DVD/CD" cracks, they do NOT circumvent online registration...

From the site

"Keep in mind that the files listed on this page do NOT circumvent the Serial Protection to play online!

A valid/legal Serial is still required to be able to play this game!!! "

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.