Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lately i've been playing computer games, and i hate the way they play. NFSU2 plays like a dog at decent settings and 800x600 res. i tried CS:S and it ran "meh" at medium settings and 800x600. i want to buy HL2 and some other games, but im tired of all my games playing like crap. so, i decided i shall save a bit for a videocard.

i want a 6600GT, or MAYBE an x700 pro (i'd rather have the 6600GT for my PSX emulation pleasure...but overall it doesnt REALLY matter, i guess i can pop the 5600 into the Sempron machine). these are both 200 dollar cards (and actually less) where i've found them, but i CANNOT find them in AGP! i want a card that has 256mb DD3 RAM and costs, at most, 200 dollars. i've seen many a card fulfilling this requirement in the PCI-Express flavor, but not AGP. soon, i will go to Fry's and check out waht they have. but so far, the online results are not promising.

so wahts the deal with AGP? is it dying? is PCI-Express the new "thing" or what? for us with "old" AGP boards, AGP is important!

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
6600GT AGP version was just released a couple of days ago, so i would wait a bit till it is widely avaliable. As far as X700 correct me if i'm wrong i didn't notice an AGP version.
Btw i am looking forward to a 6600GT AGP too it's a great card.

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
How is the 6600GT compared to the Radeon 9800 Pro? I'm going to buy an AGP card to replace my 9200SE and i was gonna go with a 9800Pro... 6600GT seems to have a good price, but how does it compare to the Radeon?

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it seems like it's a much better card, but hell if i know. i dont know anyone who has one, so i cant really make a comparison.

·
Registered
822 Posts
For AGP being obsolete, probrably give it a few months, maybe till about mid-next year (this is my speculation and should not be accounted as 100% accurate), considering that most of our stock at our computer shop are slowing down their stock on AGP. Also considering the new BTX form factor and the dual PCI-Express boards from nVidia it kind of shows the future projection that AGP is pretty much at its end of life.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
From a future standpoint and graphic card development. Yes AGP is obsolete. However to the end user. PCIE isnt going to show any improvements. If you are in the market for an AGP graphic card. Now is the time to get one. Next generation they are going to thin out a great deal.

The AGP version f the 6600GT will be your only choice. the X700 in AGP form is months away. But the 6600GT was released this month.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dark Watcher said:
hahaha... Hushy..beware Fry's Electronics!
heh, is that because i'm gonna see you at the one on Brokaw someday? :D

ChrisRay: yeah, i want the 6600GT a lot more than x700, mainly for PSX emulation ;)

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
hushypushy said:
heh, is that because i'm gonna see you at the one on Brokaw someday? :D

ChrisRay: yeah, i want the 6600GT a lot more than x700, mainly for PSX emulation ;)
:lol:
Probably...We are always in either the game section or eating at the cafe

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
the paletized textures are not really used anymore (just old plugins and FF7?), the hushy point is that he will be using Pete's OpenGL 2 plugin, and as you prolly know the ati's card dont support textures of 4096x4096 (just 2048x2048), and i guess in the future a lot of game will be using texture that big.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Aleksei (St) said:
doesnt nvidia 6xxx dont support paletized textures?

it sure doesnt. You dont need them though. The Nv3x + Series are more than fast enough to handle PSX emulation without using them. ATi series still doesnt support 4096x4096 texture sizes And Nvidia has since the Geforce 4.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just to make clear just in case, Very High X and Y is 4096x2048...damn ATi for not making 4096x4096 :mad:

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Chrono Archangel said:
How is the 6600GT compared to the Radeon 9800 Pro? I'm going to buy an AGP card to replace my 9200SE and i was gonna go with a 9800Pro... 6600GT seems to have a good price, but how does it compare to the Radeon?
The 6600gt is better than the R9800pro in all intents and purposes.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how about 6600GT to other comparable ~$200 cards? namely, the x700 Pro? ill probably get the 6600GT just for PSX emulation, but, you never know... i'm just hoping that Fry's gets the AGP versions SOON before all this money burns a hole in my pocket :p

also, what's the deal with teh 256 mb 6600GT? i've heard that they arent going to make any of them, just 256mb 6600s.

lastly, out of curiosity, how does a 6600GT fare vs a vanilla 6800 (with 128mb of DDR1)? my friend already has a 6800 and i want to know how close i'll be with the 6600GT...

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Remembering a review from a little while ago, it said the x800XT was the best at the top end, the 6800GT beat the x800Pro, and that nVidia held the crown in the mid and budget range.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
hushypushy said:
how about 6600GT to other comparable ~$200 cards? namely, the x700 Pro? ill probably get the 6600GT just for PSX emulation, but, you never know...
The 6600gt will probably be faster in most situations than the x700pro. The x700pro is clocked slower than the x700xt, but has twice as much video ram. Plus like ChrisRay pointed out, the AGP versions of the x700 cards aren't going to be here for several months. Your best bet is the 6600gt right now.

hushypushy said:
also, what's the deal with teh 256 mb 6600GT? i've heard that they arent going to make any of them, just 256mb 6600s.
I'm sure some of the AIB partners will bring out 256 meg 6600gt's sooner or later, but then the costs of those cards would also go up accordingly. Having only 128megs of ram will halter it's performance in High REsolution AA/AF gaming when compared to it's 6800 brethren with 256 megs of ram.

hushypushy said:
lastly, out of curiosity, how does a 6600GT fare vs a vanilla 6800 (with 128mb of DDR1)? my friend already has a 6800 and i want to know how close i'll be with the 6600GT...
The cards are pretty close in NOn AA/AF situations, but when AA/AF is used, the 6800 cards pull away. Plus the 6800 NU cards have the chance to be moddable to 16 pipelines. But of course they cost more though.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i have AGP version of my geforce card, it runs HL2.. everything out at 1024 by 768 EASILY.. i get 75FPS in doom 3 test, 126 in CS source etc.. its just awesome

AGP is not dying, PCI express is just like AGP 4x to 8X was.. hardly any improvement, so dont waste your time with PCI express just yet IMO.. wait for another year or more since there is no speed difference between current agp cards and pci express.

Btw.. i wouldnt say ATI r on top, my 6800 ultra is slightly better in some games/tests.. and slightly worse in others compared to x800 XT and vice versa like only losing a couple FPS which is nothing.. nvidia are not just best at mid end.. they r high end, plus they have PS 3, ati only has PS 2.

Just bc nvidia kinda flopped with the FX series everyone seems to think that ATI is the best at all times now, that is not true.. i used to have a Radeon 9500 pro.. now i switched to nvidia for this great 6 series of cards.

not saying ATI have gone bad now, simply saying that their both in the same league.. which is great for gamers like myself, anyone can make a choice between both companies and not make a mistake now.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?head=15&page=1117 <- proof of the pudding, that card has 450 1100 clocks.. mine has 425 1200. sending it away soon for it to be volt modded and fitted with a different cooler to OC the crap outta it ( My own christmas pressie ) :lol:

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
alright, thanks kane/fivefeet8. i have my money just sitting here, just gotta wait until Fry's or Best Buy or something get it in...

·
Registered
217 Posts
yeah the rialto bridge hasnt been talked about much but thats what will bring the X700 to AGP and the R480 (should launch dec 1 by the way but not really interesting) and the R520.

AGP dead? consumer wise for the buy a system lot pretty much. for the build it yourself and just upgraded no. and for the waiting to upgrade FOR PCI e yes.
performance wise the point is to have the bilatteral bandwidth which nothing right now takes advantage of but give it a year or two and we will see the fruits of PCI-e.

as for the texture size yeah its the one thing i ***** about to the guys at ATI all the time im praying they will bring it with R520.
anyone know what max texture size for the R500 is?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts