Next Generation Emulation banner

Ipod, I tunes..why not Igames!?

835 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  industrian 
#1 ·
I have a problem with the hipocresy of the laws and copyright stuff. Technology and stuff like Ipod is making access to media easier. CD's are a thing of the past, artists know that. So, I think games should catch up. Make an official page to download any game you want or an ISO or whatever and make it LEGAL already. Ive heard of gametap and other sites. This copyright thing is kind of stupid, technology is against copyright laws. In a way I mean. There is no penalty, no one prosecutes people involved in piracy, is all lies. (You just get threats from the fbi, but that's it.) So we should accept it and make it legal. Piracy is a reality, everyone is doing it because of how easy technology has made it. Let's not be naive, I know it doesnt justify it, but is the reality. I dont support piracy, but I'm tired of seeing every 9 out of 10 people involved in piracy, is too easy. Is the number 1 criminal act in the world right now. So, what can we do about it? A lot of people in this forum should be arrested cause they have and have confesed being "pirates". Are they going to jail? NO. Do they get a 250,000 fine? No. Is all a hoax. ummm..please don't ban me....thanks. A warning will suffice, if necesary...

#2 ·
Gametap is a pay for site that you get games for paying for them, just liek a rental service, or a little like itunes.

Actually if you're physically caught doing anything illegal ie: downloading games, you will get penalized for it. The truth of the matter is law enforcements have bigger things to deal with like rapes, muders and criminals that do much more harm to people.

Not everyone is pirating things you know. As for music it isn't illegal everywhere, so that's a bad example. For instance in Canada, downloading music wasn't found illegal in any way by our legal system, so downloading a song wouldn't be against the law, like it is in the States and other countries.

Yes, I'll be right on top of arresting people for downloading games.

It's a hoax? Would you like to elaborate please? It's not Emuforums responsibility to fine these people or whatever. You know of someone who's doing something illegal? Tell your local police officer and see what they have to say, otherwise it's no one elses responsibility.

Not to mention this is the internet, people are anonymous unless otherwise stated by that person, I don't think you need to be banned, see as this is the internet, this is simply you speaking your mind. You may although be a little mislead, at least in my mind, but that's the beauty of it.

NGEMU and Emuforums can only do so much to stop these people, so that's why we as an independant forum have put rules into place that is specific to this forum. We are not leniant, so if we have suspicion or proof that someone is downloading iso's, roms, or anything else illegal we will in fact ban them, we do like to give second chances, but some things are also beyond our control.

The internet is a worldwide service. There aren't very many worldwide laws if any, and no world police. So unfortunately there is no for sure worldwide internet police to stop these criminals.

I see your point in a way, but you just don't seem to get the main point of the issue. The internet isn't something that can be controlled, and it is far too big to catch every one breaking a law, not to mention the internet doesn't really have laws, as it is all over the world.

#3 ·
Razor Blade said:
The internet is a worldwide service. There aren't very many worldwide laws if any, and no world police. So unfortunately there is no for sure worldwide internet police to stop these criminals.
Actually I thought there was a wordwide police organization. Maybe I'm wrong?

#4 ·
Oh you mean The RIAA, whoops forgot them. :p I think the closest thing to that would be the FBI, but they do have much control. Still even so they worry about bigger issues. Other than that I believe not.

#6 ·
yeah the mac zealot pokes his head in :p

no but really...i dunno. EVERYTHING is download only. i hate that. i wouldnt pay for downloading a movie, a game, or anything. i STILL go to the record store to get my music. i like the physical CD or DVD in my hands.

(except HL2. bought online and proud of it ;))

#7 ·
#8 ·
The problem with your little solution is this. Online sites that allow you to purchase and download games sometimes sell you a specially repackaged version of the game. For example, I bought a copy of Uplink: Hacker Elite from a company named Trygames. Everything was fine, until I went to install an official patch.

Oops! Sorry, we don't support patching for the copy of the game you bought, and never will.

It's a lot like buying a knock-off pair of sunglasses. To get the real thing, you need to go with a reputable retailer, and you'll likely have to pay full price. On the internet, you never know WHAT your getting. The problems of piracy (getting viruses/spyware, not getting what you're looking for) will still be in play.

With a distribution system like cds, there's no worries that the retailer you're purchasing from has done something to your game. You don't have to worry about dropping the connection halfway through downloading Unreal Tournament 2004, requiring a restart.

No, cds aren't outdated. They're still less expensive than bandwidth, in most cases. You never have to worry about your cd going down because of a power outage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.