Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm trying to share a wired internet connection with a PC. I have both the desktop PC and my notebook PC hooked up to an ethernet hub which causes the IP address conflict problem. Yeah, I know you're saying, "Why not just do a ipconfig /release @ /renew?"... I've tried that but when trying to renew the IP address, I get the following error message

C:\>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its me
dia disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Bluetooth Network Connection while it has its m
edia disconnected.
An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : The DHCP clie
nt has obtained an IP address that is already in use on the network. The local i
nterface will be disabled until the DHCP client can obtain a new address.
I've tried restarting my notebook, but it still comes up. I am running in the command prompt and ipconfig.exe admin mode, so I do have sufficient privelages. This sucks. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It worked when I had to share a WiFi connection with a Windows XP machine and my Xbox. There may be a registry key value that needs to be changed (I read a solution to this problem and he mentioned this, but didn't show how to do it or which value to change).

offtopic: I'm glad I'm not the only one who really misses Billy Mays.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I dug up my old linksys wireless router and everything's good now. Thanks for the input :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.