Next Generation Emulation banner

Your internet speed is?

Internet Speeds (2013 - )

24K views 183 replies 51 participants last post by  jackfrostenson 
#1 ·
Always interesting to know how fast the other guy will be able to download the barrage of pics you're planning to post so it's time to compare and boast about how fast our net speeds are and how much they've changed since the last thread we had like this.

In case you're new and don't know how to best go about getting these results we generally use a site called speedtest.net
http://www.speedtest.net/
After you've run the test you'll be presented with bunch of new options one of which will be an option to "Share this result". Click on it.
Next click on the forum tab that has appeared and click the copy button next to the textbox you should now see.
Then just paste that into a post here and you'll have one of these little speedtest images showing you your speed just like everyone else.
Exactly like so:

Hmm, darn it, seems I've lost some speed since the last time I ran the test where I was getting about 1.6Mb/s. Understandable though since one of the undersea cables providing my country with net has had issues recently and as a result lots of people have gotten a bit of a speed decrease. Still kinda a sad result for an officially 2Mbit connection though.
At least it's finally "uncapped" these days (variable throttling kicks in at about 200GB in a month for the remainder of the month, but that's still miles better than the 5GB cap I had when I voted in the previous thread (which had since gone up to 20GB, but that still makes the "uncapped" an awesome 1000% increase)).

So, time to see whether I've finally caught up to you guys a bit or whether your own increases have put me even further behind than I used to be.

Let the boasting (and inevitable whinging) BEGIN!

See less See more
#3 ·
I find the contrast between how equal our uploads just about are and how enourmously different our download is absolutely facinating.

#6 ·
Just tested using LMN's phone via the home WIFI (Same internet connection)...
Ping = 25ms
Down = 16.12Mbps
UP = 0.62Mbps

#7 ·
Hmm, must be a limit in the phone's reciever and/or firmware and/or the router itself.
Odd that the upload is suddenly higher though, not much, but given how small it is in the first place it is a rather odd thing to have essentially a 50% increase in it in that situation especially given the download has decreased so much.

#8 ·
Yeah, I found that odd to.
Retested it a few times both on her phone and on my PC and keep getting similar results.

#9 ·
By the way is that crazy connection now uncapped? Because a few years back I remember you having some sort of cap on a 60Mbps connection I think it was, or even that you had to buy your entire connection as a sort of expensive pay-as-you-go data package.

#10 ·
Yeah, I used to have a slower 3G connection that cost $50 per 3GB.

My current connection has a 500GB up/down limit and gets me unlimited phone calls nationwide (landlines and mobiles) for $120 per month

#11 ·
And then throttling?
Either way it seems we've both had to suffer the same boat when it comes to stringent data limits and now finally have a bit of freedom which is really cool.

#12 ·
Yeah, throttling after that.
Can't remember how slow it goes though as I have never come close to hitting my 500GB limit.

#16 ·
My connection has been real crappy lately. Been getting < 10mbps (supposed to be 30mbps). I need to call and get it fixed, but I don't feel like dealing with the idiot techs at time warner at the moment.

Lately I've been beginning to think comcast was better. On top of the above noted speed issues, the billing has been really screwed up lately as well. They somehow applied my last payment to the wrong account, and I got a shut off notice. Fortunately I still had the receipt and got that resolved, but it's something I shouldn't have had to do.

#19 ·

I've never seen any single download go over 3 MB/s, however.

#20 ·
My connection has been real crappy lately. Been getting < 10mbps (supposed to be 30mbps). I need to call and get it fixed, but I don't feel like dealing with the idiot techs at time warner at the moment.

Lately I've been beginning to think comcast was better. On top of the above noted speed issues, the billing has been really screwed up lately as well. They somehow applied my last payment to the wrong account, and I got a shut off notice. Fortunately I still had the receipt and got that resolved, but it's something I shouldn't have had to do.
At least it's better than the dial-up which I think you had before in the previous thread. Something about your area not even having DSL yet...or was that bobrocks?

I see you finally found yourself some decent net. I think you had daily mini-caps of like 1GB before? It was something odd like that.

Interesting how you have a little less than 10Mb/s and DarkS has a little less than 100Mb/s yes for both of your speedtest says faster than 65% of Australia. It seems then almost everyone in Auz is at either of those extremes with their net. Crazy to not have a more balanced range.

#21 ·

I've never seen any single download go over 3 MB/s, however.
That's because speedtest is in bits, whereas that is your byte speed. Although given the usual way of calculating (div bits by 8) you should be closer to 5MB/s.

#23 ·
Well 2008ish is when the previous thread was made ;)

#24 ·
#25 ·
I'm using a 3-6 mbps plan, and I get 6 mbps according to SamKnows, some government agency that's testing Internet plans and provided me with a 'free' router.

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.