Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Create a table, enter cell based formulas into the table, add a row or column at the beginning of the table and then recalculate the formulas...Yup, adding a row or column doesn't make Word update the formulas you entered and they point to the wrong data...Nice...

Sure it makes more sense to import an excel file and use the data that way, but why put a crappy table feature that is bug ridden into a $200-$500 software package? oO

I hope that was fixed in the later releases of Word!

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OpenOffice? Isn't that the "free" Office program?
Is version 3 as good as MS Office then?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Create a table, enter cell based formulas into the table, add a row or column at the beginning of the table and then recalculate the formulas...Yup, adding a row or column doesn't make Word update the formulas you entered and they point to the wrong data...Nice...

Sure it makes more sense to import an excel file and use the data that way, but why put a crappy table feature that is bug ridden into a $200-$500 software package? oO

I hope that was fixed in the later releases of Word!
It's 10 years old. Why is this thread worthy?

·
Windows 8 Pro
1,148 Posts
Word 2000 was released nine years ago. I think if you try REALLY REALLY hard you can at least find a Word 2003 machine somewhere.

Worst case, have you tried installing any available service pack? I don't even know what service packs exist for Office 2000 stuff.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What does the age of software programs have to do with anything? I thought it was an interesting "bug" and was curious if it was still in the "newer" programs.
I have little interest in spending $300+ to see if it's still in the newer Office programs.
It should NOT have existed 15 years ago let alone 9 years or even now.
Shoddy programming for a few hundred $$$...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hehe Paratech.You like old programs just as I do.
I for example like Microsoft Visual Studio 2002 which also has a funny bug with the properties window lol.:D

Just a question...why the hell are you using Microsoft Word 2000 lol???it's almost 10 years old.I am not saying that it's bad,only that there are MANY new releases out there...

·
Windows 8 Pro
1,148 Posts
What does the age of software programs have to do with anything? I thought it was an interesting "bug" and was curious if it was still in the "newer" programs.
I have little interest in spending $300+ to see if it's still in the newer Office programs.
It should NOT have existed 15 years ago let alone 9 years or even now.
Shoddy programming for a few hundred $$$...
The age has a lot to do with it because the expectations of software in 2000 was a bit different than it is now. Remember, home users were still using Windows 98 (or WinME) and many companies were still on NT4. Software quirks in those days were simply "tolerated." Heck, one of my core duties doing phone tech support back then was basically "Oh, Word hung up on you? You'll have to 'end task'.. yeah you'll lose up to your last save... you haven't saved in hours? That's a shame. Take care. <click>." The company I worked for had a bunch of NT4 servers that were rebooted *weekly* simply because nobody trusted them to run longer than that. Note that NT4 Server wasn't cheap.

These days, expectations of software is different. Yay.

Hey you could always use a 2000-ish distro of Linux. I'm not sure if those still required the user to manually enter their monitor timings. Note that OpenOffice barely existed in 2000. There wasn't really anything comparable to MS Office for Linux at that time.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hehe Paratech.You like old programs just as I do.
I for example like Microsoft Visual Studio 2002 which also has a funny bug with the properties window lol.:D

Just a question...why the hell are you using Microsoft Word 2000 lol???it's almost 10 years old.I am not saying that it's bad,only that there are MANY new releases out there...
Because for the amount of time I use it, it's not worthwhile to spend $300+ to upgrade, in fact I'll bet you can't buy a decent Office Upgrade using 2000. So what's the "full version" price $600? Yeah like I want to pay that much for another Office, and no I don't pirate Office, LOL. I even have Word Perfect 2000 somewhere around here *and worse yet Word Perfect 5.1 for my 33 mhz laptop, laugh all you want but it saved me a lot of hassle back in 2000 to do my research in school on the laptop and convert the data to office 2000 when I got home.*...

:evil:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
this word 2000 bug is not a bug, its not as if software are miracle workers so what if i added another column and expect the formula to magically change, its like saying the old pc has bug because it doesnt support usb keyboards in the bios and yet they work perfect on windows.... you got to remember this is a calculation, if you change something your formula wont change automatically, you have to change it manually as with open office as well, i wish someone read his bug as it is not a but thinking the software should be able to predict changes based user input without a logical pattern beforehand

also please note that you are using word and not excel, excel is designed for cell based calculations

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Um Open Office DOES change the equation, I checked OpenOffice 3.x, I made a formula, then added a Row, and Viola, the formulas were updated...

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
OpenOffice? Isn't that the "free" Office program?
Is version 3 as good as MS Office then?
Probably better than such an old version.
If you don't like the "ribbon" , it's better than the new one as well ;)

The age has a lot to do with it because the expectations of software in 2000 was a bit different than it is now. Remember, home users were still using Windows 98 (or WinME) and many companies were still on NT4. Software quirks in those days were simply "tolerated."
Really, I remember having to get used to win95/98's crashing as being normal, as I had an old home computer (MSX) before it that did not have such things as "normal" features, even if Windows could do a lot more.
Sure, I got used to it eventually, but it was still stupid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.