Next Generation Emulation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was reading a new magazine with a big feature on Intel's new range of the 2nd-generation Sandy Bridge-based CPUs, as well as reading a bit on the Net (which tests an Intel reference laptop against several other high-end 2010 laptops that are equipped with the older 1st-gen iCore (i7) CPUs in areas from the performance of content creation, and a game, battery lifespan, and annual cost.) Intel's 'Sandy Bridge' for laptops tested | Crave - CNET.

The mag that I was reading showed how super-fast the new Sandy Bridge CPUs are at transcoding (encoding/converting) videos (little more than 5X as fast as the previous gen in certain circumstances.). And everywhere you read will tell you that the power-efficiency and low wattage ratings of these CPUs will insure that the laptops equipped with one of them will last for many hours, much longer than the typical 1-2 hours that all older laptops/notebooks with decent power runs for. More importantly they've got the Intel HD 3000 graphics chipset included within the CPU which can run fairly old titles like the Source engine-based titles such as Left for Dead 2 at low to medium settings, especially on the newer i5 CPUs, and other scalable games like WOW, and maybe Oblivion & the recent Fallout games.

You don't even need a discrete graphics GPU for a new laptop purchase if you don't mind too much about not being able to play the latest graphically-intensive games, and PC ports of high-end console games such as Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed & Splinter Cell series, and the Grand Theft 4 titles. That along with the low Total Draw Power wattage ratings of the new CPUs (hint: cooler temperatures) means that there will be a lot of very thin (0.8mm for example) notebooks with large screens, thus making them MUCH lighter. These benefits will make these new Sandy Bridge-equipped laptops much more attractive as a buy for many consumers, including myself, whereas I may want to buy one this year.

Imagine that: a large notebook with decent graphics power, and in a very lightweight form and long battery life (ie. under 2-2.2kg) has NEVER been done before to my knowledge!

Which leads me to this question: Can the DXBX emulator run on an Intel CPU only, either with the software renderer, or DirectX overlay renderer? Anyone with experience in testing games, and homebrew apps on the DXBX on an Intel CPU only without using a separate graphics card would be welcome to discuss here. Bill Gates, perhaps you've got expertise in this area?

·
Registered
907 Posts
dxbx and cxbx both can render games on cpu power only.
This is a setting .. software render
hardware render settings are used for gpu rendering.

However, software rendering is not very stable yet.
Thats also best option of running if you use a ladtop with intel graphics instead of NVidia and Ati. because not all features are implemented in intell gpu`s. that are a lot less then nvidia and ati gpu`s.

·
Linux's worst nightmare..
1,510 Posts
sandy bridge's both fast and cheap. While it's great news for the dolphin and pcsx2 fans, it doesnt mean as much for the xbox emulation scene. Dxbx is not nearly as demanding as emulators like pcsx2. The 5+ year old pentium 4 setup I use to test cxbx/dxbx plays games at playable speeds.

Intel's integrated graphics have seen a big step up (on the notebook side of things) but dxbx still performs much better on discrete nvidia cards.
I still have trouble in this area because my test setup uses an ATI X300 gpu

the tldr version is sandy bridge is fast but its speed isnt necessary for a playable experience and its graphics arent a good match for dxbx :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all very much. I was wondering about the CPU's updated compatibility with the graphics features that would be supported by Nvidia and ATI anyway. That's one factor, not just the speed, so yeah...

I also saw one upcoming Asus or Acer laptop with a Sandy Bridge CPU, and an Nvidia card that looked fairly thin on the bottom side, so it might not be too heavy, though...

We'll see...

·
Registered
376 Posts
I like how you seem to make the Intel HD 3000 chipset a big deal, when AMD's Fusion series take this concept up to 11.

·
Shadow of nothing...
6,071 Posts
Meh, there's really no need to continue this discussion as Bill_gates already explained that CPU power is not an issue with Dxbx like it is with PCSX2. Why is that so hard for some people to grasp these days? GPU is another story.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.