Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Today I decided to see if Halo works on the secondary computer I have. Though I was expecting to be stopped at the pop-up message with the safe mode option , surprisingly, Halo ran and ran well :)
This is the spec:
P4 2.8Ghz
PC2700 128MB
Intel 82845 onboard graphics

At first the game ran but had graphics problem, e.g. you don't see the explosion of grenades or the bullets at all. After I update the game and the GFX driver, most things show up correctly except the Halo itself in the title menu :D Extra effects like shadow and some others are disabled, but the FPS stays pretty constant even with texture and particles on high (it does lag whenever an unique graphical effect is displayed, but runs OK afterwards; BTW why is that?). The obvious thing to try next is a LAN game!

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
You should see about Doom 3 :p Hmm post some screens with fps if possible :) I heard that the newer boards just keep getting better.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Yup, Halo also works fine on my i855GME laptop card. The black Halo at startup is strange though, because after exiting from single player it renders correctly. Also, flashlight doesn't work, but internet play is without lag.

I can also get Half Life and Counter Strike to run at full speed at 1400x1050, which amazed me.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some shots but the FPS didn't show up in them. I used the ctrl+f12 to see the FPS. The FPS was between 30-40 /w no vsync, high particles, high textures /w drops to ~20 sometimes. Anyone know a list of available commands w/ Halo PC? And how to take screeshots /w the FPS count in it? Thanks.
BTW, I realized the graphic problems I had earlier (the invisible bullets) is due to 'safe mode', but I think the updates do help.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I wouldn't call that extreme. :p

·
Registered
885 Posts
yup, HALO is develop by Microsoft and they are good developer, no wonder the game will run very well even on low end machine take example: Mechwarrior 4 Merceneries, it runs very fine even in RIVA TNT2 M64

·
band
4,912 Posts
lol
im sorry sampah, but Halo pc was a disgusting port that
sucked great big hairy gorilla balls
. The thing wud run crappily on even the most highend comps.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Yes that's true :p With all options highest it runs like molases :lol:

·
Interplay sucks!
1,219 Posts
Let's hope that this disaster doesn't continue with Halo 2 PC ;)

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
IMO its not bad for onboard graphics :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Meh they used to. They're just getting a lot better these days ;)

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Doesn't run well on high-end machines? I had no problem with my desktop or laptop at max res (1600x1200 desktop, 1164x8xx laptop... it's wide-screen, and 1440x900 wasn't available) and all details maxed out. I don't understand why it would run slow on your machine, you have a faster CPU than my desktop (though you only have one - I have 2 2GHz CPUs... I can't imagine that Microsoft would know how to use them both, though... no one else seems to yet), twice the RAM I have, and equal video cards (for the desktop). For the laptop, I have the better CPU (by 50 MHz... and it's HT enabled), you have the better video (mine's a GeForce FX 5600 64M), and again you have twice the RAM. You shouldn't be having problems.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Did you have FSAA and AF enabled? Well I did ^^ That's really what slows it doen ...

·
Registered
496 Posts
????

It does not run like crap. On my computer, I run wt 1280*1024 4XAA 8X AF w/ no slowdown whatsoever. I'd say this game is fun, I haven't had any problems with it. And the multiplayer can occasionally be fun as well.
- Modem

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Hell Halo ran happily on my old geForce 3.

·
band
4,912 Posts
mebe some ppl just have different definitions for "running well". for me, if its not 60 fps, its not "running well".

·
/dev/user
407 Posts
I stuck a 6800GT in this here 1ghz box and while the performance in Halo is better it slows down a lot in the open areas (and what areas aren't open in that game). I guess if you've got a faster processor and maybe more than my current 256mb pc133 ram it runs faster :p

·
Registered
885 Posts
D.D. said:
mebe some ppl just have different definitions for "running well". for me, if its not 60 fps, its not "running well".
well, actually you can reach a full 60 fps if you turn off the FSAA or AA, I don't know why some people like to turn on FSAA though (I wont notice it if I played it too seriously), setting higher resolution and color depth is already enough for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts