Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly does intel mean buy having integrated wifi capabilities on motherboards?

Does this mean I would have to connect my internet connection in a NIC card and the motherboard would act as Access Point or would some other wifi device
be needed?

·
Some Scottish Guy
4,276 Posts
What motherboard do you use? As in, name and brand.

I've been looking at the Intel 925X chipset and it's "Wireless LAN onboard" and it comes with a socket on the motherboard for an aerial to fit. This basically means that this PC with a phone socket connection could be used as a server for wireless connected devices in your home. Any other PC wanting to connect to this would need a WiFi connection though (obviously.)

The motherboard i was looking at for an example was the ASUS P5AD2 Premium . It comes with an aerial.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
industrian said:
What motherboard do you use? As in, name and brand.

I've been looking at the Intel 925X chipset and it's "Wireless LAN onboard" and it comes with a socket on the motherboard for an aerial to fit. This basically means that this PC with a phone socket connection could be used as a server for wireless connected devices in your home. Any other PC wanting to connect to this would need a WiFi connection though (obviously.)

The motherboard i was looking at for an example was the ASUS P5AD2 Premium . It comes with an aerial.
That is the board.

·
Some Scottish Guy
4,276 Posts
I have another motherboard that has a reserved slot for a WiFi. I've not used it since everywhere i may live only needs one PC. One day i hope to have a wireless connection (during the summer with a laptop outside would be quite nice).

You'd still need a net connection (Cable, DSL, etc). Then with the integrated WiFi it would be easier to have a wireless connection in your house/ garden/ shed/ anything within range. All other devices (PDAs, Laptops, PCs) would need WiFi though.

I hope that answers your question, if not, consult ASUS's help/support system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
industrian said:
I have another motherboard that has a reserved slot for a WiFi. I've not used it since everywhere i may live only needs one PC. One day i hope to have a wireless connection (during the summer with a laptop outside would be quite nice).

You'd still need a net connection (Cable, DSL, etc). Then with the integrated WiFi it would be easier to have a wireless connection in your house/ garden/ shed/ anything within range. All other devices (PDAs, Laptops, PCs) would need WiFi though.

I hope that answers your question, if not, consult ASUS's help/support system.

Yes that did answer my question thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts