Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i am plaing to buy a new pc to replace my old laptob (which was a very good machine three years ago) to play ROME TOTAL WAR!
now i went to web sites to check on the price/proformance ratio between AMD and intel.
i looked at AMD and sorta made a pc of the following parts
graphics card:ati radon x700 pro pci express 256 gddr3 price 250$
RAM:kingtson 1 gb ddr pc2700 (512*2)
hard disk:200 gb 8 buffer 7200 price 100$
CPU:AMD ATHLON 64 3500+, 512K, L2 Cache, Socket 939 Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor price 270$
this all seems nice but the problame was the mother board i need an AMD mother board with a pci express and good enough to be silent and cold.
please if you think that intel is better tell me and if not where on the net can i find a good mother board for that AMD pc?
thanks

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
i'd suggest the Nforce4 motherboard being released for amd64. it has PCI express and will run fairly cool. It comes 7.1 compat and everything.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
n force4 will thinks i will look it up
but still do you people think that intel is better then AMD. i never tried AMD so i am a littel nervous

·
pee comes out the weewee
79 Posts
I have never used an AMD, but from what i've read about them, and what people that use them have said, i think that they seem to be the best way to go, and i hear they are good for overclocking

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Intel produce fine chips, but they charge well over what AMD do for the same performance. As always, AMD is the king of Bang for Buck. AMD also have the fastest CPU at the moment (The FX 55 IIRC).

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
I just went AMD, and it was well worth the small price I paid for it. And I can tell you, even compared to my Celeron 1200Mhz, this rig is so bloody responsive. I'ts kinda like being in "early" Pentium 4 land, but with AMD.:)

Bang for the Buck is right.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
you should check out newegg.com for athlon64 mother boards,they have the best prices on things:).

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Yeah. I reccomend Newegg.com to anyone in the U.S. I've got a great local dealer who always gives me a great deal. I like to buy things locally, so I prefer not to buy anything online. I live in Canada by the way.. Newegg doesn't ship to Canada and I don't know why.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the advise so i think i will stick to AMD since every one of you guys recommended it!
but i still need to find a sutable mother board with a pci express for my x 700?
i went to www.newegg.com they dont have the a8n asus, where can i find it?
and what do you guys think of the x700 is it any good?
thanks

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
i still say wait for just less than a month for the nForce4 mobo to come out. It has somenice features and the drivers are reliable and continually updated

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seta-San said:
i still say wait for just less than a month for the nForce4 mobo to come out. It has somenice features and the drivers are reliable and continually updated

dud new stuff like that is very expensive.
all i want is a pc not more expensive then 900$ to play rome total war.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTW HOW good is the x700 compared to all the other video cards?
are there any other wed sites like newegg.com?

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
  • Don't double post: There is an edit button
  • The nForce 4 will come at a price, true, but the potential of SLi is not worth passing up IMO, if you are already going for a PCX part. I dodn't have the choice as I already had a geForce 6800 AGP (I thought I was going to be sticking with my old 2400+ for a while
  • The x700 is slower than the equivalent nVidia parts, the geForce 6600 pound for pound, but is faster than any previous generation part
  • You say you only want a new machin to play Rome Total War, but from experience I know that 3 months down the line you'll wanna play some other game, and you'll realise your PC is now inadequete if you skimp too much.
  • Other sites like Newegg? Depends where you are in the world

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kane-Sama said:
  • Don't double post: There is an edit button
  • The nForce 4 will come at a price, true, but the potential of SLi is not worth passing up IMO, if you are already going for a PCX part. I dodn't have the choice as I already had a geForce 6800 AGP (I thought I was going to be sticking with my old 2400+ for a while
  • The x700 is slower than the equivalent nVidia parts, the geForce 6600 pound for pound, but is faster than any previous generation part
  • You say you only want a new machin to play Rome Total War, but from experience I know that 3 months down the line you'll wanna play some other game, and you'll realise your PC is now inadequete if you skimp too much.
  • Other sites like Newegg? Depends where you are in the world
Will if the GF 6600 is better then the x 700 then I will take that then!
Btw I have to be a strategist I played all most every strategy game from war craft 2 to now. And for the past two years I was playing medieval total war and before that shorgun total war. So I think I will be playing this one for an age.
And about the web site I need a USA web site but since I don’t live there an international one would be also ok.
And think you sorry about the double post.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd say go for a AMD 64 proc. with a nforce4 motherboard.
AMD is very good with games so that's your best choice for gaming.
I'm gonna buy a new PC in January, I will buying an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe with a AMD 64 3500+ and a nice Geforce 6800.
FINALLY!!!

Btw. Does somebody know if Asus is going to release a PCI-E version of the Asus GeForce 6800 V9999 Gamers Edition?

·
Registered
226 Posts
K-a-R-u-P-t said:
I have never used an AMD, but from what i've read about them, and what people that use them have said, i think that they seem to be the best way to go, and i hear they are good for overclocking
AMD=Gaming
Intel= Applications

Intel cpu's are better to oc IMO. I have a AMD Athlon XP 2200+, I was able to raise only 200 mhz (from 1.8 to 2.0) A friend of mine was able to raise his stock speed 2.4 ghz to 3.0 ghz. Using a P4 cpu

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've been sticking with AMD ever since my K6ii-200mhz after that the 650mhz Duron (wich is still humming along quite nicely right here next to my 2600+) and i can tell you that never had a single regret. The only prob. i can think of is that my 2600+ runs a bit hot @ 65-70 degrees Celcius (and a random shutdown problem; but that was windows going corrupt on me). Dunno if that is the normal temp. I know that the critical temp is around 85deg. but anyway, Intel is not bad at all, but if your on a budget then go the AMD way, its the moneywize thing to do.
*btw - you really should try for the nforce4 mb. you never know when the extra pow. might come in handy.......

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Please help me I am so confused what exactly should I get the x700 or the x800 video card with the PCI E or the 6800. GF?
And the mother board I am looking for something good and inexpensive!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well what's your budget, if you want to add a second VGA card later on you should buy a Nforce 4 motherboard with SLI (you can put 2 VGA on the mothrboard Nvidia only that is) but it's expensive
If you want it a little cheaper go for a Nforce4 motherboard without SLI and get a Ati VGA card.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts