Votes: 9 60.0%
  • AMD

Votes: 6 40.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now, Intel is killing AMD with the higher end processors, even though AMD is trying to compete with their new Phenom 2 955 AM3 processor. The i7 is simply the most powerful processor out there, and the prices for DDR3 and i7 motherboards are just plummeting so it's not as big a punch in your wallet as before. If they go down more then they can give the phenoms real trouble.

AMD has a lot more bang for buck for the people wanting to save money. As of now the Phenom 2 X3 and X4 are really good in price/performance ratio. An X3 only costs something like 70 dollars an all it is is just an X4 with a disabled core which means it can compete in the clock for clock performance against the core 2s, even though they can't overclock as well as the duos. Also, AM2+ boards are compatible with the new AM3 processor so you don't have to worry about an upgrade path like if you were to get a Core 2 duo or quad. the only new quads and duos coming out are going to be cheaper ones that aren't as good performance wise as the i7s, i5s or the new am3 processors.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
If it weren't for me being stuck on Intel due to my motherboard (P35), I'd have settled with a Phenom 2 most likely. Those seem very interesting to me since i7 is out of reach anyway from a price point of view.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,425 Posts
Socket LGA 775 have been used for far too long folks; it's time to move on with technologies advancement. People complains when Intel decided to use a different cpu socket, but here the funny part--AMD fans doesn't make much of a hassle when use(s) different socket(s). Fanboy, much? =)

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
would you go away you silly texan....

Phenom II works on AM2+and AM3 (DDR2/DDR3 controller ondie)

Core i7 = USELESS FOR GAMING. its just a glorified folding at home process.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Socket LGA 775 have been used for far too long folks; it's time to move on with technologies advancement. People complains when Intel decided to use a different cpu socket, but here the funny part--AMD fans doesn't make much of a hassle when use(s) different socket(s). Fanboy, much? =)
But when the advancement is insignificant for the average user or gamer, it's irrelevant and just adding to costs. Seeing how i5 is going to be slower than i7, it seems 775 will still be around for a while. Can't wait for the Q9 series prices to drop, I might get one to OC the heck out of it. Perhaps someone else, my GF or so, would like my Q8200. It's too hard to OC for the n00b that I am, the 7x multiplier doesn't help either :p

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
i7 975 is capable of 5+ Ghz in overclock D:

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
For the average consumer, I'd think that max stable overclock would be more important than max possible overclock. :)

And in that regard, Core i7 just sucks... plainly. It's not going to be a smooth journey if you want a Core i7 at beyond 3.6GHz HT on or off... (either due to heat or other factors... but let's just say it's not a smooth journey for everyone), whereas with a Core 2 Quad, the same efforts can net you 4GHz easily, and possibly 4.3 - 4.4GHz stable enough for a while.

...but really, I personally think it's a waste at this point to go so high in clock speed. Unless you absolutely need the extra power for something, it's just a waste of heat and power consumption.

That aside, there's not much on PC gaming nowadays that I am really interested in, even if I'm a graphics whore... thus I dropped the idea of an extreme PC a while ago. :p

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
That aside, hasn't found anything in the OC database that states too many Core 2 stable at 7.1GHz. :p Then again, maybe the same thing applies to Phenom II.

At least AMD is headed in the right direction. Now only if they can improve their Athlon Neo (Yukon) platform more to compete with Intel Atom... As it is now, Athlon Neo is like Pentium M at best. (in terms of power consumption and heat output, that is) But the better graphics chip definitely gives Athlon Neo an edge over anything Intel has to offer... except for the PowerVR SGX in the Silverthorn platform (Atom Z + GMA 500). Now only if they'd give us some proper drivers...

For those who are not aware of it, the PowerVR chip in the Silverthorn platform is kind of an updated version of the graphics chip in the Dreamcast. ;)

·
Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
For the average consumer, I'd think that max stable overclock would be more important than max possible overclock. :)

And in that regard, Core i7 just sucks... plainly. It's not going to be a smooth journey if you want a Core i7 at beyond 3.6GHz HT on or off... (either due to heat or other factors... but let's just say it's not a smooth journey for everyone), whereas with a Core 2 Quad, the same efforts can net you 4GHz easily, and possibly 4.3 - 4.4GHz stable enough for a while.

...but really, I personally think it's a waste at this point to go so high in clock speed. Unless you absolutely need the extra power for something, it's just a waste of heat and power consumption.

That aside, there's not much on PC gaming nowadays that I am really interested in, even if I'm a graphics whore... thus I dropped the idea of an extreme PC a while ago. :p
Indeed.

Looks like the PC gaming market is slowly starting to dwindle into nothingness. I believe my next upgrade is going to be very budget oriented for the hardware components, but I'm definitely going to splurge on something like the display :thumb:

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
Indeed.

Looks like the PC gaming market is slowly starting to dwindle into nothingness. I believe my next upgrade is going to be very budget oriented for the hardware components, but I'm definitely going to splurge on something like the display :thumb:
Well, the budget section ain't looking too bad. :) You might be able to build a nVidia Ion platform to playback Blu-Ray discs at the cost of exactly a Blu-Ray player, but you can get more in return.

And the netbook section is looking very interesting. I think it's about time I cough up a few in here, seeing as to how they're kinda related to Intel's technology. :p

First up is the Eee T91, definitely "the" gadget I'm most interested in...

Ultra thin package, 8.9" screen... blah... you can look up the rest of the components and videos elsewhere, but this is definitely a buy for me. :D

If not that one, then the Eee 1008HA:

^= :drool: Yeah... I can quite imagine the faces of those at Apple R&D... This would definitely fit more into an envelope than Air. And its specs are not something to take lightly, either. Heck, if you can Hackintosh it, I can just quite imagine the reactions... Oh yeah, and it's half the price of Air. For a 1.66GHz Atom CPU (well, I think that's equivalent to Celeron M at 1.3GHz or something...), with 1GB of RAM by default, 160GB HDD and a perfect Windows 7 candidate, this is just too much to ignore. At least for me, it's not something I can overlook.

I think with these kinds of designs possible, Intel Atom is a big win. Considering the netbook market has been for... about 2 years now, the future looks so bright. Ultra portable machines for under $600 never looked so swell IMO. :D

So... just two contenders so far. You can look up Viliv S5 or Fujitsu U2010 too if you want. But really, it's getting interesting by the day. :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.