Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recently built a new pc, for mostly gaming.
I received all the parts and got it all fitted only to find there was no heatsink+fan. Went down to the local computer store and bought a heatsink+fan combo that was for a s478 processor.
Installed it and everything fine and dandy, until I started notincing lock ups every now and then and things just not seeming all that stable anymore.
Now I know there was no thermal compound/tape on the bottom of the heatsink, is this whats causing it?
I installed prince of persia and started getting an error message from asus probe saying 'cpu overheat'. temperature was into early 70's... I've never seen this kind of overheating before and so im guessing its the heatsink.
Is there any quick solution getting it to run stable? I have got a new heatsink on order but god knows when it will arrive.

·
Registered
331 Posts
im just going to say it, you must be the dumbest person ever who didnt do any research. for one, prescotts get REALLY got, so you need a good heatsink/fan combo to cool it off, and for another, YOU HAD NO THERMAL COMPOUND ON THE BOTTOM OF THE HEATSINK!? that is like a must. well, id reccomend getting a GOOD and EFFECTIVE hsf like the one i have (http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=142&code=009) or the Thermalright XP-120/90 (http://www.thermalright.com/).

·
band
4,912 Posts
now now...no need to call him the dumbest person ever ...

but seriously, i think your biggest problem was the lack of thermal compound. go grab some

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Hey, I've made that mistake (about 4 years ago ;)). We all go through a stage of not knowing. :p

Buy yourself some Arctic Silver Ceramique, 3, or 5 and put a small BB sized amount on the CPU IHS, then pop the HSF on, effectively spreading it out across the CPU. It is no doubt a must for thermal grease; never build a PC without some in tote. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a look through the packaging and found a small white package. Turned out to be the thermal compound :S
I guess you could say dumb but on my last system the compound was already on so i guess i should of really checked this time.

·
Registered
331 Posts
any random socket 478 hsf wont work well with a prescott, make sure you get a high performance one since prescotts generate a lot of heat from the number of transistors, or wahtever that big t word is

·
Registered
289 Posts
I removed all the thermal paste on my CPU, wanted to see how it went. Well, it overheated when idle (BIOS reading) with the fan spinning at full speed. I then lowered the clockspeed (500MHz :D), and it went around 55c when idle. wtf, extreme! Then I applied my thermal paste again, and tried again. @500MHz it was at 22c with the fan at lowest speed ^^. Then I clocked it to 2.3GHz (where it is running usually now), and it reaches 55c at full load and 38c idling. With the fan at full speed. I was quite amazed of how much the thermal paste really counts when it comes to cooling. Well, anyway, you've got to apply some thermal paste, it will save you a lot ;)

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
I remamber mine old Pentium III 500 mhz was few times at 90c and guess what , what I know it's that this porcessor is still living somewhere :D for real (it only blasted up about 2 mobos :evil: but it's still working :D)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I put the thermal paste on and its running sorta 35c on a normal load (playing media file, browsing internet etc) during a game I've noticed it get to sort of 45 - 55c
which aint too bad. I just received a Speeze Easystream II heatsink/fan, this looks pretty damn good robust and well built.
I think i'll stick it in at the weekend and see how it runs.

·
Registered
226 Posts
No thermalpaste wow........If I were you I would have bought a huge and quality heatsink. With quality I mean Zalman, Coolermaster or Thermaltake. And of course some decent thermal paste.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi,

does the thermal pad that come with new intel heatsink does the job of heat transfer well ? It's better to replace the pad with thermal grease ?

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Yes, by all means, replace it with thermal grease. It's much much much more efficient than even Intel's "new" heatpads.

Tookers: I too have a Speeze heatsink for my P4 (This one, albeit with a case fan @ 8000RPM on it ;)) paired with Arctic Silver 5 and it's amazing, I couldn't believe how high-quality it was only at $12. It's higher quality than my Vantec heatsink which I paid $25 for.. from now on it's Speeze. ;)

Temps are ~38C idle and about 48C full load on my P4 [email protected] at 1.85V. That's very good considering the overclock, the voltage and the fact that my room isn't exactly cold. :) You'll be pleased with that heatsink.

SPEEZE ROCKS!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Huh? There's no thermal compound on my CPU and it runs fine. My Thermaltake heatsink does the job fine without it. During average use the temp usually goes between 35c and 40c, and it never gets much above 50c. Well, that may have something to do with the fact it's only a P4 running at 1.7GHZ...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2.8Ghz Prescott & I'm having the same problem if I run the processor at full load for more than a minute. The Mobo starts beeping & I check the heat only to find it's running in the high 70's! It's the fan that came with the bloody CPU, but I didn't put any actually thermal transfer paste.

I assumed the heat transfer pad Intel put on the bottom of the heatsink would be sufficient, but I guess I should have know better than that. I'll have to go buy some thermal paste tomorrow...

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
__Xzyx987X said:
Huh? There's no thermal compound on my CPU and it runs fine. My Thermaltake heatsink does the job fine without it. During average use the temp usually goes between 35c and 40c, and it never gets much above 50c. Well, that may have something to do with the fact it's only a P4 running at 1.7GHZ...
You're sure there's no thermal pad or thin thermal metal on it? The Williamette P4 generates quite a bit of heat, so without thermal grease I can't imagine it being that low.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thin thermal metal? Hmm... That's a possibility. It did seem like the surface of the heatsink that connects to to CPU was a bit different than the normal copper the rest of it was made of.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts