Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Both will be fast, but the Core 2 should be a bit faster (I think it's a bit faster clock for clock).

Both overclock well, but the Core 2 should overclock a bit better (The Phenom II is said to go as far, but I see more people consistently getting 4GHz+ with the Core 2 E8x00s, whereas some Phenom IIs are sitting in the mid 3.xGHz range).

It's a bit cheaper as well (~$170 vs ~$120 here, so it depends on how much ~$50 is to you).

I think that, overall, this makes the E8400 better for PCSX2, but with the Phenom II, you're getting a quad core CPU which may be better for other things in the future. I'm not the person with that outlook, since I'd have better choices when that time actually comes for me, so I'd go with the Core 2 anyway. Basically, my opinion is this. Get the best now, and when I need something far off, get the best for it then. Why sacrifice now for then, by time when then comes, what you got years ago is no longer quite as good as what will be out then? I know some people do want/prefer quad core CPUs though, so if you want it for things other than PCSX2, since they are close, that may throw the advantage the Core 2 has back to the middle, so I say, pick your own choice. The Core 2 will be better for PCSX2 though.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Actually an AMD Phenom II 940 goes to 4 Ghz with good air cooling stable, on water cooling it can go to 5 Ghz~5.7 Ghz (i forgot the exact value) + its quad core so its a lot better for other things as well. Considering the 955 is better it overclocks probably slightly higher, so i would definitely recomend this over the e8400.

PS: though be careful when overclocking the motherboard also counts.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,570 Posts
^
Indeed.

I OCed to 4.3GHz without even trying. 4.6GHz requires more tweaking, but is fully possible on air as well.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Yeah, dry-ice overclocking isn't exactly what we're doing here (no, the phenom does not reach 5.7ghz on water, not even close) :p
For pcsx2 nothing beats an overclocked core2 currently, but if you want a bit more future proof stuff, then go with the phenom2.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
As I said above and in another thread, I'm aware the Phenom IIs overclock well, but for some reason, I see many more sitting in the 3.xGHz range, whereas a great percentage of the overclocked Core 2 Duo E8x00s are around 4GHz or more. I don't care how far it can go maximum. I got my CPU to 4.8GHz (and while the voltage and temperatures were up there, it wasn't it's limits, as it was the RAM stopping me from going further), but I shouldn't go telling everyone to get one since it overclocks that far on air. I take a look around a multitude of sources and compile a rough average.

It's a combination of overclocking a bit (even if it's a slight bit) further on average, being a bit faster clock for clock, and being ~$50 cheaper. Those three things being in place, and especially the wording mentioning this, that some people are overlooking...
wich is better for pcsx2?
...I think the E8400 would be a better buy.

It does say "for PCSX2".

I did note that if other things outside PCSX2 have a large impact on the decision (I doubt much of anyone buys a PC for only PCSX2), that a quad core CPU may be better, but I'm still (yes, still) of the belief that quad core CPUs don't even net better results in that much else. The things they net extra results in aren't many (and on top of that, are often niche programs), and for most of use here who do mainly gaming and emulation, the disadvantage in those things isn't offset by the advantage we hardly ever see.

However, I'll give the Phenom II it's props. It's the closest a quad core CPU has come to me actually considering recommending it to "the general user" over a faster Intel Core 2 Duo CPU ("the general user" in this case including gamers/enthusiast and discluding people who already know they need a quad core CPU). They're getting faster and cheaper, and dual core CPUs are being phased out, so things will progress.

·
Registered
443 Posts
My E8400 hits 4Ghz with an OCZ cooler fairly easily, I'm sure I could push it higher if I had any reason to.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
As far as i know the phenom can go over 5 Ghz on water though i forgot the exact value and i did say in that post that i forgot the exact value :p.
im still waiting to see a boxed stock Phenom 2 on a box stock mobo holding a rock solid stable OC of 5ghz on water.....aint happenin

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I'd seriously get the Phenom II X4 955 just for the simple fact that it's quad core.

If they are the same price I'd get the Phenom 2 in a heartbeat.

Phil, what do you mean "boxed stock Phenom 2 on a box stock mobo" ?

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
I'd seriously get the Phenom II X4 955 just for the simple fact that it's quad core.
Only if all else is equal though, and it's not. If there's a ~$50 price difference, the Core 2 overclocks farther, is faster clock for clock, and last but not least, it's use is the single application (I'm exaggerating... a bit) there is that demands the very best combination of frequency and IPC, then the choice is honestly a little one sided here. The best having twice the cores does is negate that advantage of the Core 2 (not even really), which still brings it back to a tie, so it depends on a few things.

1. How big a role does PCSX2 play in this CPU purchase? Since the question asked "for PCSX2", I think that makes it obvious.

2. How many things does the user use that needs a quad core CPU? The programs are few and often niche ones. Having twice the cores means nothing if they're used less frequently than the performance penalty will be suffered from choosing a slower CPU (though it's only slightly slower in this example, since this is PCSX2 we're talking about here, it still matters).

3. Does the ~$50 price difference matter? Do factor in the motherboard cost too though, as maybe the Intel equivalent will cost more. Well, I can name a $60 Intel motherboard that will work well for the E8400, so the difference might actually be larger in the 8400's favor. Let's not forget RAM too! I've read you need faster, more expensive DDR3 RAM on the AMD motherboards to take a Phenom II to 4GHz or far beyond... Oh, so that's why! Now all of the Phenom IIs sitting at 3.xGhz make so much sense... How big is the cost difference by now?

P.S. This post probably belonged more in this thread than where I posted it, so I'll also link to it.

http://forums.ngemu.com/1703194-post8.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
Get the Phenom II, Socket AM3 will future proof you with the newer phenoms, or pay a mint for the new Core i7, oops that right the new Core i7/i5's coming out in a few months will be a different Socket to the current i7 as well.

Dollar for dollar Phenom II's beat the crap out of intel. Core2's Socket 775 is obsolete so buying an e8400 now, you'll need a new motherboard ($$$) when you upgrade again.

Phenom II's are great processors, I was an Intel Fanboy until I built my new PC.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
All i7's and 9's will be on LGA1366

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.