Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a laptop, it came with the Win7 (yay!) Home Edition (yuck, and it's in french too xP). Problem is, I want to install XP on another partition because sadly, the software the company uses works only on this OS. It totally hates Vista and Seven and it won't be updated before months -_-

Is there any way to install it? It's a Toshiba X500-10Q laptop if that matters

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
VirtualBox + Windows XP virtualized.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it support D3D/OGL apps, hardware, etc as if it was running natively?
I thought of that solution, but I don't know enough about VMs...
VBox is payware I suppose?

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the problem exactly? Your XP CD does not see the disk because it's SATA?
I get a BSOD when it finished loading drivers, and I heard that it's indeed related to SATA... thing is, my BIOS doesn't allow me to use IDE mode. There's AHCI and Compatibility modes for a SATA setting, but Comp makes the 2nd HDD and the DVD drive disappear completely.

As for using a VirtualBox, I'm not sure they'll let me do that, they want to install their internal software themselves, and I highly doubt they'll bother messing with a VM

You should just need to create a small partition for XP and you may need to add the SATA drivers to your XP CD. (Nlite works good)
If Nlite does add SATA drivers, I'll try that, thanks :)

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Doesn't the XP setup show a message like "Press F3 to load third-party SATA or RAID drivers" before loading anything form the disc?

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know it does for RAId, not sure for SATA. Anyways, it requires to use a floppy to load 3rd party drivers, so I'd rather burn a custom copy of XP with SATA included on the CD

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
unless the drivers are already in the xp disk :p

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I slipstreamed the drivers in a new copy of my XP CD, worked well after a failed 1st try.
Thanks for the advice :)

Now another problem: finding drivers for XP... I kinda need sound and GFX ^^'
Obviously generic Nvidia laptop drivers don't install at all, Toshiba only has Windows 6.x drivers and Omega drivers are 169.xx

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Toshiba Qosmio x500-10Q
Just found a site the generates modded .inf for Nvidia cards. Now I have to find XP-x86 drivers for some other things, but priority to sound chip, which I'm trying to figure out which it is ^^'

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Anyways, why YOU want to use Windows XP instead of Windows 7? Windows 7 have the XP mode! xD

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Anyways, why YOU want to use Windows XP instead of Windows 7? Windows 7 have the XP mode! xD
I tried it already, it's nothing like having it installed for real. XP Mode doesn't even support graphics acceleration. It's basically only useful in running Word, but this doesn't really need a VM to be done...

Install everest and let us know.
Heh I was doing it when I posted. Here it goes, on 2 lines:
Conexant Unknown @ Intel Ibex Peak PCH - HD Audio Controller
Conexant Unknown @ Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for HD Audio Controller
I only found Win 6.x drivers for it for now, but I'm pretty sure XP drivers are available somewhere. Just have to find out where ^^'

That's where I got my modded inf for the 250M, but I thought it was only for GFX. I'm gonna take a closer look.

Update: It it's indeed dedicated to GPUs. I can't seem to find XP drivers for sound :s

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
By the way, can't you use the same type of windows update from 7 on XP service pack 3.

If you can, by windows update it can download the drivers for you, that's it if works like the windows 7 version.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Windows 7 home edition isn't allowed to use XP Mode also I think It lacks support for D3D/OGL.
Sorry, I didn't read all the thread. ;)
Pd: Why don't you buy a upgrade to "Ultimate" (or Professional) version? xD

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
By the way, can't you use the same type of windows update from 7 on XP service pack 3.

If you can, by windows update it can download the drivers for you, that's it if works like the windows 7 version.
Already tried, it downloads the Nvidia HD Audio driver, but not the Conexant one. No manufacturer seem to have XP drivers for those :(

Pd: Why don't you buy a upgrade to "Ultimate" (or Professional) version? xD
I'm already running Ultimate, but XP mode really is ****, and I needed XP to run natively. I guess I'll have to use VirtualBox for decent comfort and hope the company won't be too annoyed to install their soft on it :/

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.