Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not exactly sure how to go about installing Windows XP directly from the CD onto a fresh format. I normally just installed Windows 98SE and upgraded from there. The reason for that is, because everytime I tried to run "setup" from DOS from the Windows XP Pro CD, it said "cannot be run in DOS mode."

Anyone know how to install Windows XP Pro directly onto a fresh format/new hard drive? I'd rather not have to go through with installing Windows 98SE again and again. Plus, since the computer I'm going to build my friend is so new, I'd rather just install Windows XP onto the new 250GB hard drive.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :thumb:

·
Crasher of Castles
7,020 Posts
put the disk in before you start up, make sure your bios have your cd drive loading before your harddrive. Setup should be pretty self-explanatory from there. Or go through windows98 and hit "fresh install" not upgrade and it will take you to the same setup i believe.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you...err..."pay" for your copy of Windows XP?(Just wondering, I'm not implying anything!)...:D

·
Crasher of Castles
7,020 Posts
SzL said:
Did you...err..."pay" for your copy of Windows XP?(Just wondering, I'm not implying anything!)...:D
yea, bought it on newegg with the rest of my computer. And i've done it 200 times in networking class with windows 2000 server, most Windows OS's install the same way. Did you? :p

·
Heretic
2,771 Posts
N1ghtw0lf said:
put the disk in before you start up, make sure your bios have your cd drive loading before your harddrive. Setup should be pretty self-explanatory from there. Or go through windows98 and hit "fresh install" not upgrade and it will take you to the same setup i believe.
They said without going through Win98.

To do that, as someone said before, simply insert the disc as the computers starting so it loads the installation menu. You then make the petition and instal it.

Also, some nifty advise, make 2 petitions. A 10gb one for WinXP and the rest of your drive for your files. This way if you have to reinstall windows again you don't have to touch your files! Clever ey?

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,844 Posts
Your Windows XP CD SHOULD be bootable. If not (ie. if you can't boot off the CD for whatever reason), you can still run setup from DOS. You don't run the Setup.exe in the root dir of the CD (which I'm assuming you did). Instead, you run winnt.exe from the I386 dir on the CD. Then it'll just start the installation.

·
Ocean Soul
1,464 Posts
bam snake got it right, but I only ever encountered one disk that never booted for me. Anyhow when it setups windows XP it will ask for a previous disk if it's an upgrade (onless it could tell you had one installed before) if it's a full copy then this won't matter at all. System should run much nicer from just doing the clean install like this.

·
General of Tangerines
3,944 Posts
SzL said:
I'm not exactly sure how to go about installing Windows XP directly from the CD onto a fresh format. I normally just installed Windows 98SE and upgraded from there. The reason for that is, because everytime I tried to run "setup" from DOS from the Windows XP Pro CD, it said "cannot be run in DOS mode."
That setup program is meant to run in Windows 9x for upgrades.

If your CD drive works just pop in the Windows XP CD before your PC boots up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.