Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I install a game with with Windows XP, but play it with Vista, will DirectX10 be enabled?

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
If you install it on Xp, you can't play it on vista because it's installed on XP.

Do you have a dual-boot XP/Vista system?
Why would you want to?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
If you install it on Xp, you can't play it on vista because it's installed on XP.

Do you have a dual-boot XP/Vista system?
Why would you want to?

Not correct,.. but not incorrect either.

Some games do require certain registry keys to be present .... alot don't really care though.

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
Yes, what Squall said.
Most of the time you can just run it directly from whatever directory you installed it in XP.
Dunno if it'll use DX10 though, but I think it should, as you're running it in Vista.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Not correct,.. but not incorrect either.
You've got a point, I'm still wondering if it would be possible to run the game via Vista by using the shortcut he created with XP. Shouldn't the shortcut and the game still be directed through his XP partition? That being said, it might be impossible because the system is booting from a different area of your HDD, and that version of Windows is inactive.

I've never heard of anyone doing this(although I'm sure someone has.) so I honestly don't know but I'm really highly doubting that it would work.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Everything would have to be moved to the Vista parition and then you need to hope that the game does not require any registry keys to run.
And yes you are correct, the shortcut would point to the XP partition, but if he launches from the actual game exe and the game does not require any registry entries to be present then you should be able to run the game exactly as if it was installed on Vista and make full use of it's abilities like DX10. The game may also require cracking though.

Why anyone would do this is beyond me though...other than if the Vista partition had no space for the installation...but then it has no space for the game either...so that scenario is pointless...so basically there is no reason to do this whatsoever. Just install the game in Vista from the start and avoid all that confusion.

Also I hate to state the obvious but the game would obviously only use DX10, if it supported DX10 and has it's graphical settings set to DX10 or if it would be launched from the DX10 exe.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have over enough hard drive space, its just Vista Deamon Tools is retarded lol. It gives me errors on perfectly fine ISO's I try to mount, so I figured I would install it on xp, play it on vista for DirectX10 :p. I thought someone might have a sure answer. I would try to help us out with it since I have the dual boot and everything allready, but I probably wouldn't be able to tell whether it's DirectX9 or 10.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
What? Daemon Tools runs fine under Vista...

Also as I said, it has to be set to DX10 or launched from a DX10 exe for it to be DX10, it does not magically switch from DX9 to DX10.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have the latest Deamon Tools install? Maybe I should try and reinstall then.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Some games do require certain registry keys to be present .... alot don't really care though.
Indeed. Some games can even be copied onto a USB Flash drive or harddisk and be ran off there, if you can handle the low loading speeds. (All the GTA games can do this, CD detection could be a problem in "certain" situations though).

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Indeed, if vista was installed on a Second partition, the primary would still be C: and any other would be E, F, G. etc

As long as you copied the shortcuts from XP to the Vista desktop / start menu then it will work.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Indeed, if vista was installed on a Second partition, the primary would still be C: and any other would be E, F, G. etc

As long as you copied the shortcuts from XP to the Vista desktop / start menu then it will work.
I know this lol. I use to have 3x WoW installs at one time and all worked perfectly fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts