Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked high and low and can't determine if ePSXe or any other PSX emulator has a high resolution texture overlay similar to the way N64 does.

If so, can the community provide me with links to tools and relevant information? I'm interested in considering re-texturing a game :)

·
Not a Registered User
1,325 Posts
You mean to replace in game textures with ones with higher resolution ?
Yeah thats not possible with any PSone emulator.

The only option would be to hack and reverse engineer a game and even then it wouldn't work on PSone or emulator due to PSone limitations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sucks, there are some really good PS1 games that could use the upgrade.

My research seemed to indicate a single texture part of a texture tree (array) commonly were linked to 3 sided polygons matching the ID at least in FF8 for example.

Then the 3D models are squished into into 2D models since the PSX' GPU is so limited.

What a bummer, I would really have loved to do a texture upgrade for PSX.

·
Registered
8 Posts
[quote = "FoxSevent, post: 2083565, member: 89035"] ¿Quieres reemplazar en texturas de juegos con las de mayor resolución?
Sí thats no es posible con cualquier emulador de PSone.

La única opción sería hackear y hacer ingeniería inversa de un juego e incluso entonces no funcionaría en PSone o emulador debido a las limitaciones de PSone.
si es posible durante muchos años haha !! ..

New
if possible for many years haha !!..​

·
Not a Registered User
1,325 Posts
ediiit textures and hig resolution..
Well first of all good job on a 3 years old necro.
Secondly, replacing textures is still pretty much impossible on a PS1 game, the only way to do it would be to hack the game itself and replace the texture but only one with the same size as PS1 has very limited RAM and VRAM.
Replacing textures for higher resolution ones is possible for N64 and PSP for one reason, expendable memory, both system were designed with expanding memory of the system in the future, for N64 you have the expansion pack which adds 4MB of RAM to the system, the PSP newer models received the same treatment by gaming 32MB of additional RAM.
In emulation both of these values can be changed, so your emulated N64 can have 1GB of ram for example, so there's plenty of space for higher resolution textrues.
Trying to change the amount of RAM on a emulated PS1 would mostly result in a crash as it was not designed for expanded memory and how it handles it's memory and textures to begin with.

·
Not a Registered User
1,325 Posts
Actually you can dump and replace replace the textures with any directx9 plugin.
Proof or GTFO :p As far as im aware there is no DX9 plugin for ePSXe, it's just now OpenGL and software render, the last DX plugin by PETE was DX7 and that's way outdated.

·
Registered
436 Posts

·
Not a Registered User
1,325 Posts
And you are wrong again! my friend.

GDSX has no such feature to replace textures, try to imagine putting a texture 4096x4096 on a system that has 2-4MB of RAM, that single texture would far more then the system has memory.
Extracting textures and other tidbits is easy, just put the DISC in your DVD tray, find the file that has your texture and copy it, simple, :) of course then you would need the tools to read the file but that's a different story.
Alternatively you could try to rip the file from RAM either an emulated game or from the system itself by hard-wiring it but that's a tad hard.
To replace textures, you would have to change the game files themself or hack the RAM while playing, but the textures always has to be the same or very similar size.
CrystalFissure has done some interesting hacking of Spyro games with texture replacement and other check him out.

The only system that you can replace texture via emulations are
N64 which has whole texture packs for some games, play Ocarina of Time with 4k Textures.
PSP which i don't know if there are any live texture mods.
GameCube with Dolphin for some reason, i dunno how and why or if there are any textures packs for it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
And you are wrong again! my friend.

GDSX has no such feature to replace textures, try to imagine putting a texture 4096x4096 on a system that has 2-4MB of RAM, that single texture would far more then the system has memory.
Extracting textures and other tidbits is easy, just put the DISC in your DVD tray, find the file that has your texture and copy it, simple, :) of course then you would need the tools to read the file but that's a different story.
Alternatively you could try to rip the file from RAM either an emulated game or from the system itself by hard-wiring it but that's a tad hard.
To replace textures, you would have to change the game files themself or hack the RAM while playing, but the textures always has to be the same or very similar size.
CrystalFissure has done some interesting hacking of Spyro games with texture replacement and other check him out.

The only system that you can replace texture via emulations are
N64 which has whole texture packs for some games, play Ocarina of Time with 4k Textures.
PSP which i don't know if there are any live texture mods.
GameCube with Dolphin for some reason, i dunno how and why or if there are any textures packs for it.
Why would dx9 output be any different to texmod modding pc games?
you put the .dll inside the same folder as the .exe and it wraps it,
i done the same with swiftshader in pcsx2 when my older pc didn't support pixel shaders.
it's the directx gpu textures your modding not the game textures.
I get what your saying about modding the lba table to insert new files though, MeganGrass wrote a tool to mod the resi psx games.

·
Not a Registered User
1,325 Posts
Why would dx9 output be any different to texmod modding pc games?
you put the .dll inside the same folder as the .exe and it wraps it,
i done the same with swiftshader in pcsx2 when my older pc didn't support pixel shaders.
it's the directx gpu textures your modding not the game textures.
I get what your saying about modding the lba table to insert new files though, MeganGrass wrote a tool to mod the resi psx games.
Because it's output not input, texmod is basically what i wrote previously, read and export what's being sent to VRAM/RAM and maybe sent something else, still this method won't help you get 4k textures in emulated consoles.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
texture replace COULD be done, but someone would have to write a completely new plugin that can reliably track the textures so they can be swapped out, as well as being able to upscale the wireframes to support the higher resolution textures (putting a 4k texture on a 320x256 resolution wireframe will not bode well..lol)... it's just not really feasible.... The N64 had a pretty uniform system, textures stored thje same way game to game,looked up the same, etc... the PSx is completely random... the game engine handles it and it varies from game to game, developer, to developer...once the engine has it sorted out and sends it to the GPU, thats when the plugins can upscale, etc.. BUT at that point it is virtually impossible to swap them.... If you ever looked at the shader code for, for example, the cell shader... you can see just how hard it would be to know which texture is which...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Because it's output not input, texmod is basically what i wrote previously, read and export what's being sent to VRAM/RAM and maybe sent something else, still this method won't help you get 4k textures in emulated consoles.
Isn't the psx vram somehow translated to .dds before being sent to the real gpu to render?

·
Registered
436 Posts
ok, I just thought attacking it on the opengl / directx side might be easier,
although i'm not sure either how it'd work, if you could put in new textures or reload them from a ram snapsnop session, I know you can dump any process ram with pmdump.
For instance there's a app on Android called Chainfire 3D and GLTools that downscales/upscales changes texture formats etc so you can play games on more gpu types so it's not just locked down to nvidia or adreno gpu.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts