Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two usb controllers hooked up to my pc. When I can configure both of them but when I go to play they seem to fight over what controller does what and I can not get it to work. Basically the second player controller takes over all buttons and the number 1 controller doesnt work at all or it player 1 will just mimic anything done by the player 2 controller. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Does this happen only in emulation, or do you have this problem in PC games?

Does this happen only in ePSXe, or are other emulators (and their pad plugins) affected?

Are you using a profiler, either the one that came with your pad, or something like JoyToKey?

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It happens only with psx emulators. I tried others instead of epsxe to see try different controller plugins but the ones that let me configure more than one controller either did the a similar thing or would actually give me an error and close when trying to load a game. I have an n64 emulator and it ran both controllers fine no problem the first time I used it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I do for one of them. One is a saitek p880 and there is a profiler running that came with it. The other is this old destroyer tilt pad I hooked up just so I could play multiplayer with a friend. I have no Profiler for it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Try killing the profiler program before configuring or using the pads in PSX emulation.

Profilers are great when you've got only one controller or when you need to translate joystick/joypad inputs into keyboard inputs. The first is not true for you, and the second is not necessary for PSX emulation.

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I closed the profiler and reconfigured both pads but the same problem occured. I don't think its a problem with the actual pads because I borred another usb one from a friend and tried all 2 in every combination and got the same problems

·
Registered
654 Posts
Okay. I was planning on getting a second DualShock USB adapter anyway...when I do I'll try dual controllers on the games I have that support them (like WipEout XL, Gran Turismo 2, etc) and post the results in this thread.

Probably be a few days.

Dan

·
Registered
654 Posts
Okay. So I hooked up my second DualShock2 and did some research. I was able to get dual pads working, with a little hokery-pokery.

My test game was Gran Turismo 2, as that allowed me to test all three aspects of dual pad operation: digital, analog, and rumble.

My test pad plugins/emulators were ePSXe builtin, and sssPSX pad plugin.

Here's what you need to be aware of:
  • sssPSX is supposed to support two controllers but it just plain doesn't. At least, not with its built-in plugin. It acts like the second pad's D-pad up button is being held down.
  • Some games will take the Start button as input from either Pad 1 or Pad 2, but will only allow menu navigation from Pad 1.
  • When you plug in a second gamepad, it becomes gamepad A and the one you've already had plugged in becomes gamepad B.
    • Gamepad A -> gamepad B
    • New gamepad -> gamepad A

This explains why one gamepad was functioning as both Pad 1 and Pad 2. You plugged in the second controller, went to Pad 2 configuration and programmed in the new gamepad's buttons. But since it became gamepad A when you plugged it in, both Pad 1 and Pad 2 were then configured with buttons from gamepad A.

I bet if you went to Pad 1 and Pad 2 configuration in ePSXe, you'd find the buttons in both start with J1_, when Pad 1 should start with J1_, and Pad 2 should start with J2_.

In order to get what you want, what you'd need to do to configure Pad 2 is:
    • Unplug both gamepads
    • Plug in the new gamepad (becomes gamepad A)
    • Plug in the old gamepad (becomes gamepad A, new gamepad becomes gamepad B)
    • In ePSXe, Config -> Game Pad -> Pad 2
    • Program in the new gamepad's buttons in Pad 2

Then to play you'd need to:
    • Unplug both gamepads
    • Plug in the new gamepad
    • Plug in the old gamepad
    • Start ePSXe

• F5 switches between analog and digital with ePSXe's pad plugin. F6 toggles which pad F5 applies to. So the sequence to change both controllers to analog in GT2 was: F5 F6 F5

Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.