Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Where exactly do the PCSX2 guys draw the line between "ingame" and "playable?" Is that after a certain speed is reached ingame, or...?

But that can't be it, because Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 is listed as "ingame" with 1.5 FPS, while the Suikoden games are listed as "playable" with a scorchingly fast 2.4 FPS. I don't think it makes quite that much difference...

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Well in my opinion, a game has to be playing at full speed for me to enjoy it. I absolutely hate frame skipping and choppiness. A game may be just barely playable at 2FPS, but for how long?;) Before you go crazy?:lol:

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
ingame means that the game does that, goes in game, but does little more.

playable means that the game works, it's possible to actually play the game...albeit a little slow ;)

·
Banned
58 Posts
So what is the diferrence between ingame and playble? I saw some screenhots of the ingame games in comptablity list, and i saw that some of the screenshots are form ingame, so i think that maybe some "Ingame games are playble or no? :yawn:

·
Registered
57 Posts
ingame is that you can get into the game but not out of it. playable is ingame + outgame... both being able to start and end the game... thought those descriptions were clear enough...

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
OROKUSAKI said:
:) What do you mean that ingame means that you can get into the game but not out of it? Do you mean that you can play the game? :lol:
get in the game but not out of it? wtf? yes ingame means you can get in the game, but due to problems its not very playable, for example, you cant see anything cos of severe borkage or you walk forward and then it freezes ;p

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
Example: Final Fantasy X goes ingame (you can walk around a bit and do some things) but with many missing environment textures as well as getting caught in loops. It's definitlely ingame, but in no way playable, since you only get a few minutes in game before it crashes/loops. Also, our method of testing and reporting is if the fps is too low to actually make sure you can get far without problems (0.5 fps for example) then we can't be sure that the game is in fact fully playable, since it takes alot of time to just get a little bit of ingame testing done.

·
Banned
58 Posts
So Gran turismo 4 who listed as "ingame but as i saw it runs only at 0.5 fps, so it is playble but very very low? Or clock Tower 3?(J) It says ingame and as i saw from the comptablity list it runs at 5 fps, so it is playble but at 5 fps?

·
Registered
23 Posts
you are stupid or joking?

The explanations are clear enough to understand, ingame means that you can start a new game but due to compatibility things or other the game will crash, enter a infinite loop, or whatever other bad thing, and playable means that you can play the whole game, from the start to the end but in a really low speed.

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
OROKUSAKI said:
So Gran turismo 4 who listed as "ingame but as i saw it runs only at 0.5 fps, so it is playble but very very low? Or clock Tower 3?(J) It says ingame and as i saw from the comptablity list it runs at 5 fps, so it is playble but at 5 fps?
Final Fantasy X is ingame at sometimes more than 30 fps, but it's still not playable. Speed isn't the only factor when a game is classified as playable or ingame. Other factors can make a game considered unplayable, eg: character is not able to be controlled, very bad graphics, etc.... No matter the speed, if a game is listed as ingame only (even if it has a speed like 5 fps or more) you can assume that something else is keeping it from being playable. I don't know how I can explain this any simpler.oO

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
OK, this is starting to get a little off topic. Just like 0.8, some games still need memcard saves to get ingame on 0.9.

·
Premium Member
5,309 Posts
Playable
You can get from 'new game' to 'end credits'. This is regardless of FPS, some games are playable, such as 'Dsgaea' at full speed, others at a miserable 10 FPS or even less.

ZOMGZ WHY NOT INCLUDE SPEEDZ!!
  • No machine within the current posting date can run even 10% of PS2 games at a reasonable frame rate, game speeds vary from a fraction of 1FPS to just over full speed, but speeds like that will only occur in menus and static screens.
  • Given the current limitations of the emulator and machines, the term 'playable' was taken at it's purest form, you can play it, this doesn't take into factors your personal tastes as to what you deem playable, or if you are godly patient, a fan of FFX may deem the game playable even at 10 FPS....
  • If FPS was listed, we would have to list the particular HW that can produce these speeds, but even then, identical machines can get different speeds, due to drivers, apps in the background, various emulator settings, time of day, what mood you machine is in etc :p Not only that per plugin mixes can make differences...the list is endless...
  • Thus playable means, well you can play it, the compat simply reports on what PCSX2 can achieve given it's current status, how the emulator preforms is down to you the user..

Ingame
You can get through menus, intro cutscenes / videos, and see ingame graphics, but either due to graphical bugs, crashes, un-resolved errors, no controls, you can't play through the entire game.

Menus
You can get into the menus, be it past 3D / video intro, memcard checks etc, but when starting a new game, it will lock up, crash, enter a loop etc.

Intro
The game will show 2D logos, or video, but will not get into menus. This could be one screen, or 20, but won't show much.

Nothing
Exactly what it says, this game crashes before showing any graphics, making any sound etc!

I really would like to see the end of these utterly stupid discussions, or do the developers and testers have to sit down and write "The Dummies Guide To Emulation - Chapter 4502.2b PS2 Emulation" with pictures...

The basic level of information presented on the compat page demonstrates what PCSX2 'can' do and makes no promises as to speed, or we'd get idiots emailing saying "You said it'd run full speed on my kind of spec machine, but it doesn't wah!!". I often ponder if people around here have an incling as to the utter stupidity we have to deal with, and the fact the information presented is chosen for a very specific and thought out set of reasons.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.