Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Video

We all knew it was true, but it's nice (and surprising that it's Fox...) to see a news broadcaster bringing up this issue. Places like that second BestBuy piss me off so much. One day I'm going to set up a stall across the street from one and offer computer diagnostics for free just to spite them.

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
They did the exact same thing several years ago in my country on some TV program. Only difference is that they called a technician instead of going to one.
The end result was really bad with prices ranging between 50 and 300 euros and only one single technician charging honestly (he was the only who charged just for the visit... which was about 30 euros).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Video

We all knew it was true, but it's nice (and surprising that it's Fox...) to see a news broadcaster bringing up this issue. Places like that second BestBuy piss me off so much. One day I'm going to set up a stall across the street from one and offer computer diagnostics for free just to spite them.
lol then you will certainly be living up to your sig

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
This is (one reason) why my parents love having someone like me around, and I'm sure most of you are in a similar position with people you know.

When we were going to move, they were considering moving from AT&T (we previously had SBC, but they bought them out) to Time Warner (again, was Comcast, but they merged or whatever). We wanted out television and internet on the same plan. I prevented them from that trick (the guy told them "cable is faster", and also told them they'd get this and that for low prices that the installation guy was not agreeing with, so they called up AT&T and stuck with them).

I've helped them get cheap upgrades (namely, memory), and fix more software issues on theirs, both of my sisters', younger brothers', and people they "recommend me to" PCs than I count. I've never charged a darn thing, outside the time where someone offered me $20 to "get their computer to run faster", and, along with doing that, I added 256MB to the 64MB (this was on a Windows 98 machine years ago). Another willingly thanked me with $20 after I did it for free. Otherwise, I don't charge for this stuff, but they are my family/friends.

I agree with the ending of that video. I wish places would charge honestly so the customer feels like that's what the business is all about. Over charging a bit is one thing, but hundreds of dollars to recommending a new PC for that problem, to scheduling $70 appointments?

·
Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly. My family and friends know now that if they have computer problems, just come to me. Sure, I might take my time with it, but at least it's free and comes back probably better then before :p Now my rep has spread to my friends friends, their girlfriend/boyfriends, friends family etc... They know I'm a computer junkie who loves building fresh new computers for people.

All I ask for is usually some food. Pizza is the usual payment, but I've been offered full meals at restaurants. Sounds archaic, yeah, but I mean, come on, food! Free! Win win!

·
Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
That's how business works; if you go to any mechanic you'll get the same treatment.

HDD unplugged? Suggest a diagnosis for $70 so we can get more money
new HDD? $40 but we'll say $550 just to make us more money

It's all part of the game; I used to LAN game at a shop that did the same thing on the weekends. You can't make any money these days without making a fool out of someone. If you don't; you'll go broke. I know it sounds harsh and wrong but that's why I learned my PC tech after purchasing a $500 PC for $800 and noticing that installing a video card costed over $50 bucks; something that is as simple as "plugging it in".

:p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.