Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think you guys would be better off developing your own OS out of this emulator, and maybe making it bootable off of lilo or grub or something. That way, you can harness the full potential of your computer without windows getting in the way. I know this takes some complex work, but it may be worth it if it proves that windows is a huge resource hog when trying to emulate PS2 games.

To many people, this would explain why the PS2 can handle these games in the first place. The OS is dedicated to running ONLY a specific game. If it were running a standard windows XP installation and then a game on top of the operating system, then you could only imagine how slow it would run. I was thinking that you would definitely be able to match the processing power of the PS2 if not overpower it by far if windows was taken out of the picture. This is just a thought.

·
Premium Member
8,108 Posts
Coding a PS2 emulator is hard enough and now you are telling them to code a PC emulator(OS)? oO Think about making every single piece of hardware in a personal computer to be compatible with that new OS... Hmm...

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Someone had proposed this before and we ended up agreeing that even if the authors made an OS like that(which will never happen for obvious reasons) the speedup would be insignificant,since its not windows slowing down the emulator

·
Programmer/Animator
262 Posts
besides that, the operating system itself is extremely hard to program and you expect all of the guys who wants to use PCSX2 to have a separate OS for THAT specific purpose of just emulating? its rather stupid dont you think
as bostimon has just said, speeding up the emulator works only by the emulator itself, it needs to be completed before it can be optimised to faster speeds

i remember when the guys tried emulating PSone for the first time, it was pretty slow at that moment, but who would say that pcsx or epsxe is slow??

pcsx2 has just started 2 years ago and they'll do real good, they already are and they already did, all they need is a little time to shake things up..

Did you read linuzappz interview in emufanatics spotlight? if you havent, he told us that we'd see faster speed, more compaitability, and also psone game playable functions - so thats pretty satisfactory ain it? i dont know why you guys are worried about speed and other OS for now.....................

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like I said, only an idea. Plus, I do think that windows slows down the emulator speed significantly.

Please understand that I am not degrading your work, and I am very happy for you guys, as I know that at this rate you'll be done in no time, and you'll be the first guys to release a working emulator.

·
Registered
22 Posts
MegaBill said:
Like I said, only an idea. Plus, I do think that windows slows down the emulator speed significantly.
Altough I haven't tested the emulator on linux, I doubt it is any faster on it either (it probably is lot slower as there isn't hardware accelerated gs plugin like gsdx9 for linux). The emulator is simply too unfinished still to work at proper speeds. But as soon as the emulation is better and we get the recompilers to work, I'd imagine the speeds should be quite good. But unfortunatly that takes some time.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well, Windows will slow down the emulator ONLY if you have little ram (less than 128), so another OS will make the emulator faster ONLY if it uses less ram (say 16mb of ram instead of the aprox. 128mb that Windows uses). This is just my opinion (although I think I read about this somewhere) so correct me if I`m wrong.
Plus, just think of:
1) how hard it is to make a good, working OS (cause Longhorn is sure taking it`s time, and it has may people working on it, not a handfull as the emulator has),
2)how are you gonna download it (say, for 56k users it`s gonna take a lifetime and your life savings; glad I`m not one of them),
3)how are they gonna keep it up to date (because it will have some bugs, plus they`ll probably have to release a new version of the OS as soon as the plugin specs and code changes),
4)how on earth are they gonna build drivers for your hardware (your hardware doesn`t run on air, and people sure have lot`s of harddware),
5)how are they change pcsx2`s code so that it will run with that OS (basicaly they`ll need to start pcsx2 from scratch again),
6)how are they gonna make API`s so the emualator can run faster (cause I don`t think they can use DirectX or OpenGL),
7)and how are they gonna make that OS in just a few hours a week (they have jobs, and lives too).
If they`ll start making an OS it will greatly slow down pcsx2`s progress, and in the end you`ll get the emulator much later than you would get without the OS project, and of course you`ll get it only to work on a very strange, probably buggy, OS.
So in short it`s just too messy, too complicated,too much time and effort consuming, and in the end the emulator won`t need it at all.
So this will defenetly won`t solve the problem.
And this is the end of the "1001 reasons why making an OS won`t solve the problem" post:D . Wow, never thought it would come out so long (I hope I won`t have to write it all over again).:D
Sorry if I sounded harsh, I just wanted to say why it`s not a good idea.

·
Programmer/Animator
262 Posts
sorry MegaBill, but its not really worth it. making an OS, but hey, its still a neat idea, not that it may work but....... u know, how it is............ like Cloud Strife 7 has said, things are pretty complicated the way they are and why make it anymore complicated right?
and if CKemu's around.... sorry for reviving this one day old thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts