Next Generation Emulation banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Linux's worst nightmare..
1,510 Posts
Never mind, you're probably using the release version - Turok doesn't work in that build yet.
(Bill_gates however has a beta build, that explains why he can play it already.)
thats true but he was asking about Gauntlet: Dark legacy

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My bad. In that case I have no answer yet. ATI cards are known to show all kinds of crazy stuff, and Dxbx is not as stable as I want it to be either. This will improve, I'm sure, but these things take time.

·
1,510 Posts
My bad. In that case I have no answer yet. ATI cards are known to show all kinds of crazy stuff, and Dxbx is not as stable as I want it to be either. This will improve, I'm sure, but these things take time.
Gauntlet actually works well on ATI. its the surfaces on turok and smashing drive that are wonky.

·
Registered
175 Posts
For the first time I've tried Dxbx ( on my work, becouse there i have WinXP sp3 ), and I have the same result as Tangomar - select screen, loading and then it revert back to dxbx. Here I too have an ATI x300, so this might be a problem.

·
1,510 Posts
For the first time I've tried Dxbx ( on my work, becouse there i have WinXP sp3 ), and I have the same result as Tangomar - select screen, loading and then it revert back to dxbx. Here I too have an ATI x300, so this might be a problem.
what game did you try?

·
Registered
907 Posts
IvicaMarkovic.. wich version of drivers are you using for the ati card ??
we know ati has some problems.. but i got also strange behaviour because i use a very old nvidia driver on my test ladtop...

so if we have a list of games with issues / driver version.. prehaps there are some stuff we can do

·
1,510 Posts
this is how it looks like for me on my ati x300
(using the most recent drivers)

i took this using the f12 feature you told me about
unfortunately the bmp it makes is bigger than the forum allows :p
but converting to other formats isnt a big deal

edit: These were taken with dbxb 0.5 not the latest beta

·
Registered
175 Posts
[email protected] The game is Gauntlet: Dark Legacy.
[email protected] I don't know what drivers i have on my job becouse i'm not admin, i'm prohibited to touch anything systemlike (and untill now i didn't give a damn) but it is likely that they are older ones. But, honestly, i think it's to early to adress this kind of bugs (boo-hoo my X card not working on Y OS). You guys keep follow your plans and i'll wait for x64 compatibility (i pray that it'll be within 6 month).

·
Registered
376 Posts
[screenshots]
lolwut, it says PNG, but the images themselves are JPG. Bill, you realize that just renaming a JPG to a PNG doesn't make it a PNG, right?

And FYI, NEVER resave a JPG as a PNG (unless you're doing image editing work).

·
1,510 Posts
lolwut, it says PNG, but the images themselves are JPG. Bill, you realize that just renaming a JPG to a PNG doesn't make it a PNG, right?

And FYI, NEVER resave a JPG as a PNG (unless you're doing image editing work).
I took these screenshots using DXBX's f12 button. The bmp format is too big
to post directly so I opened up paint and saved it as a png. The main point of those shots was to show that people with ATI cards can play gauntlet: dark legacy.

A lot of people take the crash in the beginning to mean that the game doesnt work at all. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well, they're not BMP, so good job an getting that right. :D

However, you see that the thumbnail says PNG? If you actually click and view the images, they say JPG. This leads me to believe that you uploaded the images as a JPG but with ".png" on the end.

Hey, it's only a theory. :/ All I know is that they're not actually PNGs. Maybe the forum automatically converts PNGs to JPG or something?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ahhh. Well, at least I'd assume the forum has a better JPG encoder than Paint does. :p

Alternatively he could save the PNGs with something like XnView and set the compression level to the max (Paint makes pretty large-sized PNGs actually).

21 - 34 of 34 Posts