Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was only tested on Super Smash Brothers Melee, using SVN builds 1586, 1713 and 1728. I recommend 1713 or 1728, both seemed equal in performance.

Some of us cannot afford to upgrade to a dual-core processor at the moment. Those of us who are stuck on a single core 32-bit chip have little choice when it comes to games, however, I have found a way to get Super Smash Bros. Melee to run at (slow) playable speeds. To let out a dying breath of speed from your processor, do all of the following steps:

1) If not already done, grab a copy of r1728 here:
Dolphin x86
(probably will work with other builds, feel free to try it out and report how well other builds do, I'm simply too lazy :p)

2) Set up your config as follows:

Core:

Plugins:
Dolphin OpenGL:

For everything with a green dot, I am 99% sure it won't affect your speed or stability, but I have only played around with this emulator for one night so I can't guarentee anything.
Anything not shown here is more than likely irrelevant to your speed, but I may be wrong on this.

3) THIS IS NOT MY STEP, I FOUND THIS SOMEWHERE ONLINE BUT I CANNOT REMEMBER WHERE, PLEASE POINT ME TOWARDS THE AUTHOR, ALL CREDIT IS HIS/HERS

Open notepad and copy this exact text down

Code:
TASKKILL /IM EXPLORER.EXE /F
start /high /wait DolphinWX.exe
start explorer.exe
Click all file types, ANSI encoding, and Save as Start.bat

This is a simple batch file which basically kills Explorer.exe, the main hog of Windows, and then runs Dolphin at an elevated priority. As soon as Dolphin is closed (normally, by ending the process, or due to a program crash) Explorer.exe will be started back up.

4) The obvious: Close EVERYTHING you are not using. Antivirus, web browser, bittorrent, anything that does anything, close it. If you are familiar with the Task Manager, close all unneeded applications running. Free as much memory and clock cycles as you can.

5) Start Dolphin with Start.bat and load your game (in my case, SSBM) and enjoy your revitalized game!

Following these steps gave me a 3x increase (from 5fps to 15-17fps)
Unfortunately, it makes the game rather ugly, but I would rather put up with that to reminisce in old memories of me and my old best friends playing SSMB together. It still feels rather playable, 1/4 total speed is much better than 1/12
Also, it creates a strange blurry bar at the right side of my screen, and when 1586 is used, the bar is on the right and top as well.

My specs:
Intel Pentium 4, 2.8ghz (motherboard won't allow overclock :((
2gb DDR ram
Radeon 9600 Pro 256mb

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Yeah, single core is really bad, man. It is not playable and thanks god that I do not care about SSBM, lol!

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
Oh, it is also amazing how a pentium 1 @ 133 mhz sucks at many modern games, i am really completely clueless.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Why is the speed so low? SSBM is fullspeed with Dual Core, so single core should be at least 30 FPS... oO

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why is the speed so low? SSBM is fullspeed with Dual Core, so single core should be at least 30 FPS... oO
Not so. A dual core doesn't just work twice as fast as a single core. The program has to be optimized to work on two cores at once, or the effect will be minimal to none. The program itself has to synchronize the cores so that they work together, otherwise all hell will break loose. A CPU, unlike a GPU, handles things in a linear fashion; do this, then this, then this, then this. Unless it is specifically told to "do this on core 1 while doing this on core 2" it will do everything on a straight line on core 1.

At least, this is how it was explained to me :D

Maybe single core just can't handle the emulation :p?
That is exactly why. The emulator was designed to run on multiple cores at once, to handle the heavy task of emulating the hardware more efficiently. Not much effort was put into running on a single core, because most likely, a single core will never be able to run a game at full speed.

·
Registered
454 Posts
More like 100% on 1st and 25% on second, judging from the speed variation on most games.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts