Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Emunext fanboy
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to be immortal ?
Many have thought of that , all died . Many tried but died . Many thought they are immortal but also died .
No one succeded . Miserably and sadly they died in pain as they've wasted their lives trying to do something they couldn't do .

When you are old you remember your whole life and tries to figure out what have you done .
You sit alone thinking , regaining old memories since your first blurry memory crossing your childhood , turning to a teen , 20th , 30th , 40th and so on .

You react with non-existing persons , laughing to their jokes , crying for their tragedies and then suddenly you wake up from your memories and find your self talking with your self .

You look closer to your life and then you start to panic . You haven't accomplished your dreams , you wanted so many things , sorrowly you hadn't made them true .
You've already wasted your precious seconds and there is no way you can return these seconds . The countdown isn't having any mercy , it'll never stop till it reaches Zero . The Zero we all fear .

History and old legends tell us about failed human tries to gain immortality . Ppl who have died and no one knows about them anything , have tried and failed . Gilgamesh , one of the rare known ones , have got immortality but then he lost it by himself . Maybe that's a legend and I really hope so . I can't just think how much sadness you feel when you are Gilgamesh , after you waste your whole life for one goal and then when you make it , you make that fatal mistake and destroy the goal you've lived for . You die , simply die .

What do we know about old ppl ? Nearly nothing . Maybe we have some history books but in general we can't tell aything for true 2000+ years ago . Some history is wrong aswell . It's just a story that's transferred from a soul to another young one and so on . Editing is a reasonable action towards stories , and that makes things harder for us to know about other ppl who had lived before us .

Imagine a regular soldier in ancient war . He sacrificed his life for his country or religion or anything he had belived in . Sorrowly he dies and that's it , a one from 100 thoushand or more , who cares but for the final result of the battle .

The great king of XX army won the war , the mighty warrior who have won all his battles and slayed all his enemies . That's what we can get from history . But what about that soldier who have died in the same war ?
He had his own dreams , life and other ppl to care for . All that went in vain , no one knows about him and his blood which changed many things along with others blood which changed the battle's result and history by turn .

After 2 centuries from now , no one will remember us . Maybe they'll talk about our wars , leaders and may be some of the most affecting scientists and artists and writers . But what about the others ?

They share the same destiny of that ancient soldier .

We can't remember all these old ppl . That's impossible , but how not to share the same fate ?

To be immortal isn't something hard , when you understand what immortality is .
Mohammad the prophet , Alexander the great , Moses , Leonardo Daffinci and many many more are , yet they are all dead now .

They have affected their time and our time , that we still know their doings , and even after xxxx years ppl will know about them .

They still live in our books , science , hearts and even thoughts . Immortals have made the greatest jobs which made them reach that state , but still some immortals have reached this state because of their evil doings . Many of them are known too and are living in our books and hearts and thoughts too , but this time negatively . They are hated by all generations , and that's a curse i think .

I do want to be immortal too , I know it's very hard and that many have failed , but I know many have succeded not as many though .
I have my life to try , short or long one , it doesn't matter when I become one . It's just a wish , propably won't happen but when I die I'll know I've done the best I can do , and that when I die for the sake of something I believe and not to become immortal is better than living forever and not having anything to believe in .

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
Death is our common fate, just live with this fact. Personally, I'd be concerned in my way of life and the way I die rather than worrying about what people think of me nor will they remember me or not after I die.

Yours,
-Elly

·
9,358 Posts
I wasn't speaking to you. I was talking in general.

Yours,
-Elly

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Nice piece of writing Cloud :)

Well I don't think I will die happy with a feeling of being immortal if there are still ppl that need me. But I do know that I'll try to do anything within my reach to become immortal in the minds of ppl I care for :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
okok to cut out the deep thing:
wasn´t the topic title a song by celine dion? ;)
wbr Shin Gouki

·
9,358 Posts
Oh right, ....yeah, one of her songs was named that :laugh:

Yours,
-Elly

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Scientists are working on immortality (or, at least, greatly expanding human lifespan). All this philosophical talk has no meaning whatsoever. Empirical validation is what counts. If immortality is truly impossible, scientists will discover it. If it's feasible, it'll be achieved eventually. Philosophical arguments about death being "our common fate" have no bearing upon reality.

Check out the Immortality Institute website for lots of info regarding this subject. You can also check out their newest publication: The Scientific Conquest of Death . Aubrey de Grey's page about his approach called Engineered Negligible Senescence (SENS) is also very illuminating.

The point is: you're allowed to disagree about the feasibility of immortality, but not on a philosophical basis. A scientific basis is the only meaningful approach.

·
9,358 Posts
Chase a dream you cannot attain. And I disgress, increasing lifespan != immortality. I believe everything in this world is going to perish sooner or later, so why cling to something that is going to fade away? That being said, I doubt you'll ever see it my way, though if you ever came to realise it - IMO, it would be too late.

/me waits for Boltzmann's ranting ;)

Yours,
-Elly

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
No need for a rant. You're trying to get away from scientific research with philosophy alone, and this is just not right. Right now, I can't tell you whether indefinite lifespans are possible or not (though I can say that they're a strong theoretical possibility).

Only time and research will whether it's really possible or not. Philosophy do not have a say on this issue, since it has a factual basis (and actual experimentation is the only way to confirm/disconfirm factual claims).

Phrases like "Chase a dream you cannot attain" are not warranted by current evidence, only by pre-existing biases.

BTW, even the bio-luddites from the Bush administration think that it's a strong possibility. That's why they want to ban research on it from the start.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Although on a more moderated scale, I have to say I agree with Boltzmann. Many of our life philosophies barely take into account the latest scientifical discoverements and achievements, things that are so big that can change a whole vision of the world by themselves.

On the same line of though, and as I've said many times already, although pure thinking can lead us to some interesting hypothesis, they mean little till they are throughfully analized, experimented, syntetized and proved. As such, phylosophy is no longer a good path for achieving a truth.

However, immortality is based on a strong basis, which is the current achievements we have seen now, and the potential achievements that the current investigations are giving.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Immortality is impossible. If you were hit with a plutonium rocket in the face, wouldn't you die, even with all of humankinds means of defense (ie body armor, integrated metallic body parts and limbs)? Sorry if this is adding fuel to the fire.

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Well, we're actually talking about immortality in terms of indefinite lifespans (at least this is what I've in mind). Immortality in this comic-book sense is not taken seriously by anyone engagin in anti-aging research.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Boltzmann said:
Well, we're actually talking about immortality in terms of indefinite lifespans (at least this is what I've in mind). Immortality in this comic-book sense is not taken seriously by anyone engagin in anti-aging research.
Anti-aging? Please share, this I got to hear :lurk:

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
blueshogun96 said:
Anti-aging? Please share, this I got to hear :lurk:
Check out my previous links. Anyway, here's what biogerontologist Aubrey de Grey says regarding his approach called Engineered Negligible Senescence :

First, let's be precise: our ultimate goal is the availability to the entire human race of technology that will restore them to whatever degree of youth they desire and keep them there for as long as they want. That's a bit stronger than simply "a cure for aging" -- it says that the cure should be available (at a price that they can afford, of course) to absolutely anyone who wants it.

But then, what does "youth" mean? I don't think many 70-year-olds will want therapies that erase all the knowledge that they've gained in the second half of their life, for example, nor their taste for music that is eschewed by the younger generation. No -- what "youth" means for our purposes is physical robustness and vitality.

That's where things get tricky. We know aging when we see it, but it is actually very hard indeed to measure .... until it's over. It isn't very hard to distinguish a dead person from a live one, but telling the difference (accurately, mind -- not just 70% of the time) between a person who's likely to live another 10 years and one who's likely to live another 20 is very much harder. We have one very approximate measure of how long someone's likely to live, namely how long they've lived already, and even though scientists have tried very hard they have so far failed to find an appreciably better one.

But this isn't as hopeless as you might think. We can say, very clearly, that loss of physical robustness and vitality is what kills most of us (those that don't die of homicide and such like). It makes us less resistant to diseases like flu that we can fight off easily in our earlier years. It makes us more likely to break bones if we fall, and those breaks take longer to heal, so we have to stop exercising, so we get even more susceptible to diseases. It slows our reactions, so that when we slip on the stairs we can't catch ourselves, so we fall, etc. So actually, aging and death are more closely linked than they might be. People who are physically robust are not likely to die any time soon; people who are physically frail are more likely to die soon.
He also has a list of the "Seven deadly things" which cause aging.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Well... i don't want to sound harsh but calling it relative doenst add nothing to the discussion. Even thought we can only assume things from our perspective, we have to take that as our starting point and work upon that. As such when we reffer to immortality we are indirectly implying that this is from the human point of view :)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Well technically we are all born with a kind of immortality once we drop dead,then we can't be killed by anything and will continue forever in another place if you want to call it another place.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts