Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried making an image of a scratched PS2 disc. The disc has been cleaned - the scratches are really scratches and not dirt.

Using Alcohol 52% ( the free one ), I tell it to make a PS2 backup. This checks the box "skip reading errors." Well it skips them, but at 40% complete, it starts reporting disc read errors at sector x, and then continues counting for a long time at read speed of 0.0x.... When I try to manually copy the files, it fails on one file with a cyclic redundancy error.

Before giving up, I tried it on a different PC. No errors. Alcohol makes an image and does not report any errors. Manually copying the files works.

Obviously the disc is damaged. My question is can I assume one DVD drive is better at reading damaged media? And I now have a complete image?

Dig

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I can tell, I have made good quality rips using Alcohol 52 in the past.

Regarding PS2 discs with ImgBurn / DVDdecrypter or AnyDVD, are you suggesting they make better images, or better images when the source media is damaged?

Dig

1 - 2 of 2 Posts