Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried making an image of a scratched PS2 disc. The disc has been cleaned - the scratches are really scratches and not dirt.

Using Alcohol 52% ( the free one ), I tell it to make a PS2 backup. This checks the box "skip reading errors." Well it skips them, but at 40% complete, it starts reporting disc read errors at sector x, and then continues counting for a long time at read speed of 0.0x.... When I try to manually copy the files, it fails on one file with a cyclic redundancy error.

Before giving up, I tried it on a different PC. No errors. Alcohol makes an image and does not report any errors. Manually copying the files works.

Obviously the disc is damaged. My question is can I assume one DVD drive is better at reading damaged media? And I now have a complete image?

Dig

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I can tell, I have made good quality rips using Alcohol 52 in the past.

Regarding PS2 discs with ImgBurn / DVDdecrypter or AnyDVD, are you suggesting they make better images, or better images when the source media is damaged?

Dig

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I would say it's a difference in drives...that's what determines why one img succeeds and the other fails on different systems. Programs can only do so much, it's up to the drive to do the actual reading and some are just better at salvaging damaged disks than others are.

Anyways they meant those other programs generally produce better quality images, not that they would do any better on damaged media.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts